Lactose (intolerance)

Options
So i'm trying to do a lactose free week because I want to figure out of my nausea is caused by lactose products. So I've cut out all milk, cheese, etc. I normally eat a lot of cheese (on sandwiches and stuff) so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for lactose free meals/snacks. I don't eat red meat (only fish and bird). Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Nuts, PB, fruit, veggies and hummus are good options
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    soy milk, soya vegan cheese (good melted on bread), hard-boiled eggs with pepper
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been nearly lactose-free for the past 90 days and I'm loving it. I didn't quit it beacause I thought I was lactose intolerant, but since I've actively been avoiding it, I've noticed that several digestive-related issues I was experiencing have improved if not having been totally eliminated. I get my proteins from eggs, beans, red meat, chicken and fish, but I could easily do without the red meat. Just my 2 cents . . .
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Almond milk on cereal, avocado instead of cheese or Mayo on sandwiches, stir-frys, curries, there's lots of meals that you can leave out tthe cheese, just don't try making lasagna or other pasta. You can see the glaring omission and feel deprived. :-)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use almond breeze unsweet orignal. I don't know who's idea it was to make milk vanilla flavored, can't stand that one. I use almond breeze in cereal and in cooking when a recipe calls for milk. It took me years to figure out that milk was the reason I was always getting sick. Cheese doesn't make me feel as bad or if I'm going to have a lot of cheese like pizza or something I will take a latase supplement or digestive supplement with my meal.
  • loganmyangel
    loganmyangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant since I was about 2 years old. I am now 30.

That being said, I still eat cheese. LOL I am far too cheap AND lay to buy the lactose inhibitors so I buy lactose-free milk (my kids are also LI) and when I can afford it lactose free cheese.

When I DO eat cheese with lactose in it, I just deal with the aftermath. It isn't very often. I can't STAND thick liquids and don't drink milk.
  • loganmyangel
    loganmyangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also, it can take up to 3 weeks to get all remnants of dairy out of your system. It, like many other things, are in almost EVERYTHING. It is insane.