weekly net calories

Options
I have a question. Lets say I have 1,000 calories left one day. The next day, for whatever reason I go 300 over. Am I still 700 to the good for the week. Can you look at net calories weekly? What im under one day could I go over the same the next and it basically be the same as hitting my goal each day??

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I look at them daily and weekly. This way I don't beat myself up for having a higher calorie day, I know I just have to adjust the rest of the week or a few days. I also think it keeps my metabolism from stagnating. (Just my opinion).
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yes I actually use this quite often but not like oh I ate 400 under monday and now on friday I'm going to eat an extra 400. I usually only use this if its within a days period or so. Regardless there's nothing wrong with doing that its all about overall caloric intake. However, if you weigh yourself daily this could prove to give you different results depending how drastic the calorie split up is. Like if you ate 800 under one day and then 800 over the next the scale could reflect that. Over a few days though it will all balance out.
  • keithcorder
    Options
    Whats the deal with artificial sweetners?? Do they hinder weight loss or is it just that some people dont like people artificial sweetners in their body??
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I just go day by day. I never even thought to hold over calories for the next day or another day. I try to limit myself to one day at a time. I know I just started a few days ago, but so far I like doing it this way. Good luck in all that you want to accomplish.....
  • exiledforestfan
    Options
    I am over for today and yesterday by about 400 calories but had a net saving of 1100 since Tuesday. I try to keep within my daily allowance but for those days I don't I try to make sure I have savings from the week
  • keithcorder
    Options
    cool, That makes sense. I hear some people talk about how they burn 3,000 calories running (which i do sometimes) and they say the will eat a whole pizza that has about 1800-2,000 calories. This cant be ok? or is it? Just seems weird.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I look at my overall average. If I just look at my daily caloric intake, I tend to load up on high cal foods just to meet my goal for the day. But by averaging it out over the week, I do less of that and just focus on eating good for the day.

With artificial sweeteners, most just don't like putting the chemicals in their bodies. However, there are some studies that show that people who use artificial sweeteners actually tend to gain more weight in the long term than those who don't...
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I wonder how many days we can "hold over" calories and I wonder how many days I can "hold over" exercise. Yesterday was my rest day and I barely moved while going over my calorie intake by nearly 500 calories. Today I ran 9.33 miles and will be significantly under my calorie intake. The next three days are going to be rough at work; I'll have little to no time to exercise and I'll probably just hit my calories. I wonder if I work hard today and go under and then work out hard Thrusday after my work stuff calms back down if that all equals out of if I should do something different all together.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Is there a way on the tracker to "net" weekly calories?

The reason I ask is I am transitioning over from WW to MFP.

WW gives you a daily point target, as well as a certain number of weekly "points" to be used for splurges and what not in case you go over your daily. This system has worked very well for me for almost two years, and I usually use my weekly points on the weekend when I go out with friends.

I've looked at this site, and can't seem to be able to set it up that way yet. Am I missing something, or is this something I'm just going to need to do manually?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I go by my weekly net calories all the time. I love it as it allows me flexibility. This is especially important to me because on days that I have higher calorie burns, I typically eat too low as exercise takes away my appetite. And then I can eat more on a different day to ensure that I am not eating chronically low and, thus, in danger of slowing down my metabolism. It's also a way to 'bank" calories to "spend" at social events.

Unfortunately, the website doesn't do this very well. However, if you have a smartphone or tablet, use the MFP app. It has a great weekly page which gives you your daily average for that week plus the number of calories you are over/under your weekly target.

Remember, your body isn't a clock that starts over at midnight. What is important is your average intake over time, this includes calories and nutritional values, and your average outgo (exercise) over time. Of course, this is much easier to handle if you're not a slave to daily weighing. I typically only weigh about once a week at most, usually less than that, so little upswings after a higher calorie day don't mess with my head.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I personally go by daily net rather than weekly. I know some people are successful that way, but my body doesn't agree with that concept at all. If I want to have a 'excess calories' day, then I find myself a really solid calorie burn for that day to go with it.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...you could do this by the week, month, or year. I try to do mine weekly.
  • admnmtpilot
    admnmtpilot Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is there a way on the tracker to "net" weekly calories?

The reason I ask is I am transitioning over from WW to MFP.

WW gives you a daily point target, as well as a certain number of weekly "points" to be used for splurges and what not in case you go over your daily. This system has worked very well for me for almost two years, and I usually use my weekly points on the weekend when I go out with friends.

I've looked at this site, and can't seem to be able to set it up that way yet. Am I missing something, or is this something I'm just going to need to do manually?

If I remember correctly on WW 1 point ='s an average of 50 calories.
  • mommatimes4
    mommatimes4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it would be okay to net the calories but I would keep track only a week at a time. When I was on Weight Watchers we could do this, but only during a week's time....Then, you would start calculating all over. We also weighed in once a week. They warned us of not reaching our minimum "points" (points in WW are figured by calculating amount of calories, fat & fiber in foods) I have figured the calorie intake according to the foods in my point range & it is very comparable to the amount of calories MyFitnessPal has figured I need ....Also, if we didn't get our minimum points in during the week it was possible to NOT lose weight (probably due to "starvation mode.") I have also wondered about this on this site, also. Someone mentioned the MFP smartphone app that can give you a weekly net calorie amount...I may check that out. Good luck!
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use the app to look at the weekly calories. I started 4 weeks ago and I have lost 8 lb which is pretty solid. I have been under for the week every week but some days I am over usually where I have wine or beer. My weight varies a lot day to day though mainly due to water weight.
  • mommatimes4
    mommatimes4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So, the answer to your questions are yes...But, I wouldn't try to balance out any calories past 1 week's time frame....
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    They changed the plan in 2011. "Points Plus" now equals 40 calories per point whereas the old "Points" system prior to that equaled 50 calories per point.

I also agree that going past one week isn't good as it would be too hard to track.