Enyone try Alli???

Options
I am 5 3' and 145lbs. I would like to be about 120-130. Most of my life I have been 125-130, but in the last few months I gained 15lbs :( it is very hard to be motivated, I feel like I will never lose what I want to. I thought about adding Alli to my diet...if I see results I am that much more likely to step it up. Has anyone ever used Alli? Do you recomend it?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well.. you will defenately see results! Though probably not where you want.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    no, but i used to use lipozene..worked really well for me..good luck
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer not to have to wear an adult diaper.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Don't move too far from one of these:
    010511_ba_toilet_amstd01.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    For 15 lbs? That's silly. Just change your diet and exercise.
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    for 15 lbs alli is not really what you need. now if you were trying to lose 50-60 lbs it might be more useful. its just the side effects are not worth going through to lose that little weight and as soon as you are done you will put it right back on because you have to change how you think about food to lose weight. losing weight is fairly easy most have issues keeping it off after especially the ones that use drugs chemicals and fads to do it.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You do not have that much to lose, so I wouldn't recommend it. I hear the side effects can be messy if you aren't careful with your diet. Again, I don't think you need to do anything like pills, etc. Just set your mind to eating better & moving more. Easier said than done, I know. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I used Alli because I could get it half price in the GSK company store...
    It does what it says; it causes some of the fat you eat to pass through your body and not be absorbed. This means you had better eat the recommended amount of fat or there will be all sorts of excess passed!. I did well for a while and kept strictly to the rules.
    Two problems. I don't really believe fat is evil; I think it has a place in nutrition. If you have a piece of cake at a birthday party there will be a nasty price to pay.
    Alli builds up in your system to the degree that if you decide to quit you have to give it a few days to clear out, you can't just decide one morning to go back to eating normal, you have to ease off of it It was not a sustainable lifestyle and says in the instructions not to use for extended period.
  • shunta864
    Options
    I have. I didn't have any problems with it. So far I lost 30 lbs. But I resently ran out and didn't have the money to buy some but I seen I was still losing weight so I won't be using it anymore because I seen I was really doing it on my own. Don't waste your money.
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but my husband works with doctors and talked to them about it. One of the doctors said it would work but the side affect is as mentioned above (toilet hugging). It will likely train you to not eat fat foods because you'll have the runs when you do eat fat foods. You can do that yourself without the cost or runs though!

Again, not personal experience just what my husband learned talking to a doctor friend.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Oh my god, that is the best "side effect" translation I've ever seen. I just about died laughing.
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First off. Alli isn't a wonder drug, it won't show results by itself. Only when adding Alli to a proper diet and cardio plan will you see weight loss. You can expect a small increase in weight loss when done in such a fashion. If you don't take your diet or cardio seriously, you won't get any added benefits besides the side affects.

Second, the way Alli works is that it inhibits the breakdown of some of the fats you eat. What happens to the fat you don't break down? Slides right out of you. So this is more of a drug to take when you have immediate access to the facilities, not something to take during the days you work an 8 hour shift with few breaks. That being said, if you start it, you should finish it, on and off use of this product won't help.

If you do begin taking it, its pretty important to take a multivitamin everyday since Alli will prevent you from absorbing your normal supply of fat soluble vitamins.

When you decide to stop taking Alli, you should decrease your calories by 20% (do not go under 1200 calories) otherwise you will begin to regain some of the weight lost.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used Alli back when it first became available OTC and I didn't have any problems. As long as you follow the recommended diet and don't go nuts eating fatty foods you'll be just fine. I lost weight, but I couldn't afford the $99 a month :frown:
    I say give it a try and see how you like it.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I poop in the toilet, not in my pants.
    My Mom made absolute sure of this way before I started kindergarten.
    She would be very upset with me if changed my ways now. :smile:
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem, I LOVE sweets, I have cut back a ton...but it is still a problem. I was thinking that the side effects would be enough to keep me away. I have only been on MFP for about 10 days, I did lose 2lbs so far...guess I am greedy and I want to lose a lot more. I got the depo shot in june and gained so much waite I am misserable and none of my size 6s fit, hell my 8s don't fit! I gain weight in my stomach, I feel like I look pregnant or something.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tried the Rx version and the OTC version. Side effects are not pretty. I would highly suggest not trying it unless you want to walk around in diapers and being single with no social life.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem, I LOVE sweets, I have cut back a ton...but it is still a problem. I was thinking that the side effects would be enough to keep me away. I have only been on MFP for about 10 days, I did lose 2lbs so far...guess I am greedy and I want to lose a lot more. I got the depo shot in june and gained so much waite I am misserable and none of my size 6s fit, hell my 8s don't fit! I gain weight in my stomach, I feel like I look pregnant or something.
    I've looked like I was pregnant since grade 8.. You get used to it. :P

Don't be greedy and do it the right way. 2 pounds in 10 days is great so far, just keep it up. :)
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How do you add your goals to your page... I see a lot of CW, GW and so on...I would like to set some so that I can see it...all the motivation I can get. I have three kids so I have no disire to look pregnant ever again lol.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Adding goals: go to Community and then Signature. As far as the Depo goes, any hormonal birth control can make you crave "bad" foods, but you can decide not to let cravings control you. BC effects everyone differently, but if you have it set in your mind that a shot is the sole reason you gained "a ton" of weight, then you set yourself up for it. I've been on Depo since January and I've still lost weight. You just have to replace bad foods with good ones..and water helps.