Any recommendations for sensational non-fiction books?

Options
I love to read especially non-fiction. Would love any suggestions on any powerful books you have read and just HAVE to pass along. I have some that I love to share as well.

Thank you!

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    "The Servant" and "Verbal Judo" are a couple of my favorites as well as "The four laws of debt free properity"
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. Its better than the movie and interesting. Gives me hope for what the future holds for me.
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    mzl.xjqyfjum.png
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Sounds morbid....but is SO interesting, and written SO well....even wit and humor.
    Check it out. It is one of my favorite books ever.

I have this one and yes it's good :) Thank you!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America by Jessica B. Harris

Jubilee: The Emergence of African-American Culture by Howard Dodson, Amiri Baraka, Gail Lumet Buckley, Henry Louis Gates Jr., and Annette Gordon-Reed

Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon: A Guide to the Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There by Mark Di Vincenzo

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John D!ckie (If you ever romanticized the Mafia before, you won't after this. VERY interesting)
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America by Jessica B. Harris

Jubilee: The Emergence of African-American Culture by Howard Dodson, Amiri Baraka, Gail Lumet Buckley, Henry Louis Gates Jr., and Annette Gordon-Reed

Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon: A Guide to the Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There by Mark Di Vincenzo

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John D!ckie (If you ever romanticized the Mafia before, you won't after this. VERY interesting)

Wow thanks for taking the time sunkisses!
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. Its better than the movie and interesting. Gives me hope for what the future holds for me.
    Thank you Sheisbrown!
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    mzl.xjqyfjum.png

Thank you arfog. Pls..love your pics! You seem very happy. :)))
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    "The Servant" and "Verbal Judo" are a couple of my favorites as well as "The four laws of debt free properity"

Thank you Jkleman...will check each of them out! Happy day to you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    A Strange Wilderness, by Amir D. Aczel. Left me thinking,"I didn't know that."
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I second the Michael Pollan suggestion of In Defense of Food, and add all his other books! The Botany of Desire, by him, was SO intreguing-- he followed the Apple, Potato, Tulip, and Pot plant through history and current techniques, just crazy interesting. I thought I knew a relative lot about history and gardening being a gardener and historian, LOL, but I learned a ton I would have never come across. Maybe that all sounds boring... It's not!
    His autobiography of sorts is called Second Nature: A Gardener's Education, and it's SO funny, and informative, and approachable, just like everything of his. LOVE him.
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was another non-fic in the same vein, very approachable and interesting, but also informative.

I don't know what else you're interested in... But some other non-fic faves of mine are Tom Brocaw's The Greatest Generation, an ethnography called Dancing with Skeletons by Katherine Dettwyler, and Freakonomics was super interesting.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    "Unbroken" and "Seabiscuit" both by Lauren Hillenbrand
    "Here Comes Trouble" by Michael Moore
    "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demrick
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
    Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson
    Moneyball by Michael Lewis
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I second the Michael Pollan suggestion of In Defense of Food, and add all his other books! The Botany of Desire, by him, was SO intreguing-- he followed the Apple, Potato, Tulip, and Pot plant through history and current techniques, just crazy interesting. I thought I knew a relative lot about history and gardening being a gardener and historian, LOL, but I learned a ton I would have never come across. Maybe that all sounds boring... It's not!
    His autobiography of sorts is called Second Nature: A Gardener's Education, and it's SO funny, and informative, and approachable, just like everything of his. LOVE him.
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was another non-fic in the same vein, very approachable and interesting, but also informative.

I don't know what else you're interested in... But some other non-fic faves of mine are Tom Brocaw's The Greatest Generation, an ethnography called Dancing with Skeletons by Katherine Dettwyler, and Freakonomics was super interesting.
    And I second the Botany of Desire. :) Good stuff.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If youa re into history...

1491 - Charles C Mann - Americas before Colombus
    The Far Enemy - Fawaz Gerges - Why Jihad went global
    Night - Elie Wiesel - his recolection of time in Auschwitz
    With the Old Breed - E. B. Sledge - his account of WWII on the Pacific Front
    American Terrorist - Herbech and Michal - Oklahoma City Bombing
  • courtneycuth
    Options
    It looks like a lot of responses you've gotten are food books, but if you want non-food books, this one was AMAZING:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
    http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319386255&sr=8-1
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    It looks like a lot of responses you've gotten are food books, but if you want non-food books, this one was AMAZING:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
    http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319386255&sr=8-1

Thank you dear, yes I would like some non food books. Actually haven't ready too many food books. I just like real life anything!
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    If youa re into history...

1491 - Charles C Mann - Americas before Colombus
    The Far Enemy - Fawaz Gerges - Why Jihad went global
    Night - Elie Wiesel - his recolection of time in Auschwitz
    With the Old Breed - E. B. Sledge - his account of WWII on the Pacific Front
    American Terrorist - Herbech and Michal - Oklahoma City Bombing

Thank you, I do have an interest in history and need to read more. Have a great day!
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to post!

And I second the Botany of Desire. :) Good stuff.