Ideas Please

Options
I'm sure this has been done before but I hope you dont mind me asking:

Snack ideas that are fulling yet low on calories (all i can think is carrot sticks)

Ideas for lunches, easy to take to work.

Thanks in advance :D

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love making homemade granola with fresh cranberries and nuts. Cups of yogurt, crackers, boiled eggs, whole fruit and veggies. Just about anything can be a snack.

Lately I've been snacking on croissants and Nutella. I do not recommend this.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Egg whites! I mix 1 whole egg with any number of whites, mix in whatever sounds good and microwave it for a couple minutes, mixing halfway through for a quick, easy, low-cal scramble.

Scallions, cheddar, diced meats, green peppers, etc. Everything works. :)

Cook it 80% of the way at home then just nuke it at work.

1 whole egg = 74 calories
    1 egg white = 17 calories

1 egg + 1 white = 91
    1 egg + 2 whites = 108
    1 egg + 3 whites = 125
    1 egg + 4 whites = 142
    1 egg + 5 whites = 159

I use half an ounce of cheddar and 1 diced slice of salami to add flavor and that way I don't need to add salt. Finely diced veggies are super low-cal anyway. :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Celery and peanut butter or cream cheese are low in cals with good protein. Snap peas, apples, rice cakes with peanut butter or cream cheese. Cucumber salad, chicken breast, fruit salad. Okay now i'm hungry. :-)
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, rice crackers, packets of tiny teddy biscuits, museli bars....oven roasted mushrooms, pretzels

For lunch we make vegetarian pasta, curry, rice paper rolls, soups, veg cottage pie, vegetable bake - we usually make a weeks worth and just reheat it each lunch time :)
  • hadlam
    hadlam Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks for all the super yummy ideas, so what i'm starting to realise is (almost) anything...........IN MODERATION!!!!!! Making sense now. :D
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and crackers or breadsticks and houmous :-)
  • broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like the sara lee mini bagels. They have blueberry and they are only 100 calories each. you could even put some cream cheese on it and it still wouldn't be too much. I sometimes even take a serving of dried cereal in a baggie to snack on. The special K vanilla almond kind is yummy. A little over 100 calories a serving.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like the Fiber One 80 Calorie cereal with almond milk. I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze which is 40 calories per cup, so this snack (3/4 cup cereal and 1/2 cup almond milk) comes in at 100 calories total.

I also like fresh veggies or a few pretzel sticks with roasted red pepper hummus (50 cal. for 2 tablespoons).

Lean lunch meat or tuna are good options that are high in protein. Sometimes I will wrap a piece of turkey breast around a dill pickle spear and make that my snack.

Wasa crisps are good - I like the sesame ones. Two of those is 70 calories. Add some Laughing Cow Light Cheese to that (1 wedge is 35 calories and they come in several flavors now) and you have a satisfying snack for 105 calories.

Also, if you are really craving something specific ie. crunchy/sweet/salty/etc. there are a ton of things you can get in 100 calorie packs these days. At one time I had a serious romance going with Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies. Now when I am really craving them I grab a 100 calorie pack. It has about ten mini cookies and it satisfies my craving.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the super yummy ideas, so what i'm starting to realise is (almost) anything...........IN MODERATION!!!!!! Making sense now. :D

Thats pretty much it!! You have a daily allowance, and its up to you how you use it! My advice, use it wisely, it lasts longer! But use it smarter - dont starve or bore yourself - and you'll last longer!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love Fage Plain Greek Yogurt....100 cals ad 18 grams of protein in my containers. Love to take a little granola and throw into it. Keeps you satisfied and you get the sweet, the sour, and the crunch all together.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    skinny pop popcorn (39 calories per cup)
    baked apple with 1 tsp maple syrup
    frozen banana
    berries dipped in lowfat (or dairy free) yogurt and frozen
    salad with balsamic and no oil
    bag of Annies organic fruit gummies (only 60 calories and no weird additives)

fruit salad of orange, grapefruit, grapes, berries, etc.

frozen fruit bars - i LOVE juliesorganic ones because they are creamy (and 60 calories)
    Tempt hemp milk frozen bars - chocolate, vanilla or coffee icecream (100 calories each)
    Dark chocolate bar (I eat 1/4-1/3 of a bar when im dying for chocolate)
    Hot cocoa (make homemade so you can control the sugar amt)

small bowl of cereal (like kashi) with blue diamond unsweetened almond milk (40 calories per cup)
    1/2 cup oatmeal with blueberries or apple and 1/2 tsp maple syrup.