UNDERSTANDING YOUR METABOLISM

Options
UNDERSTANDING YOUR METABOLISM: "It’s NOT my fault, I have a slow metabolism!" "I can NOT lose weight ‘cause I have a slow metabolism!" "I went on a diet, and it SLOWED-DOWN my metabolism!" "As soon as I turned 40, my metabolism STOPPED!" These common remarks are usually made by people that do not understand what their metabolism actually is.

The first thing to be understood about your “metabolism” is that it isn’t just one tangible thing. It’s actually the sum of all the metabolic processes and chemical-reactions in your body. Energy metabolism is the body's process of breaking down nutrients and converting them to energy. For example: Digestion is a metabolism, cell-repair is a metabolism, burning calories in a working muscle is a metabolism, and so on. Every one of these “metabolisms” uses calories as energy to carry-out its unique task. “Resting-metabolism” is simply the number of calories required to keep your body functioning when you're flopped on the sofa or snoozing. Your metabolism is burning calories continuously and without interruption. If it stopped - you'd be DEAD!

The MOST IMPORTANT metabolism to concern yourself with is the metabolism that takes place in your MUSCLES. This is important in weight-loss for two-reasons: Muscles, even at rest, consume the largest number of calories in our bodies. And better yet, these same muscles when “moving”, consume calories at a multiplied rate, and it adds up quickly in your favor (fat-loss).

Often, Supplement “Sellers” would like you to believe that certain foods - or diet supplements their selling - will “boost” your metabolism. This is bullsh*t.
As previously noted, the digestion of ANY food “is” in-of-itself a metabolism. When we eat food, it goes through a digestive process. It takes calories to perform this digestive process. Science refers to this as the “Thermo-Genic Effect” of food. In-other-words, to process calories, the body must use calories to do it. However the calories needed for digestion DOES NOT out-number the calories in the actual food being digested. This goes for energy drinks too. Therefore, whenever you hear an “expert” say; “Eating protein will jump-start your metabolism and cause your body to burn more calories”, it is a misleading statement because although this statement is technically true - the "implied" message of burning calories above and beyond those in the food itself - is pure nonsense.

Back to the importance of “muscles” in regard to our metabolism.

REMEMBER IT THIS WAY: Your Metabolism is like the engine in your car. Your muscle, since they use the largest portion of your consumed daily calories, is like your body’s ENGINE.
YOUR ENGINE (Metabolism) WORKS LIKE THIS:
0-5 mph: Your metabolism is idling at a Red-light, not moving, but still burning calories.
(Just-like resting, sleeping, etc.)
5-15 mph: You’re pulling out of the driveway onto the street.
(Just-like moving from room to room in your home, watering plants)
20-35 mph: Your cruising along on a residential road.
(Just-like performing housework, Gardening, and busy-body activities like office-work)
40-55 mph: Your cruising along on a flat open-road.
(Just-like brisk walking or manual labor, like raking leaves)
60-80 mph: Your cruising along on the highway.
(Just-like running, vigorous exercise, or intense manual labor)

The Moral of the Story:

IF YOU WANT "YOUR" ENGINE TO “BURN” MORE CALORIES - FIND WAYS TO MOVE MORE!

IF YOU WANT A BETTER-BURNING “ENGINE” - ADD MORE MUSCLE TO YOUR BODY! (Ladies too)

THIS IS THE FIRST STEP TO BETTER-UNDERSTANDING YOUR METABOLISM, AND HOW IT WORKS.

I hope you will "share" this with your friends.

Replies

• digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great read!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    good to know this.......thanks:smile:
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Nice explanation.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Good Post! Thanks for sharing!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing =)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    As previously noted, the digestion of ANY food “is” in-of-itself a metabolism. When we eat food, it goes through a digestive process. It takes calories to perform this digestive process. Science refers to this as the “Thermo-Genic Effect” of food. In-other-words, to process calories, the body must use calories to do it. However the calories needed for digestion DOES NOT out-number the calories in the actual food being digested. This goes for energy drinks too. Therefore, whenever you hear an “expert” say; “Eating protein will jump-start your metabolism and cause your body to burn more calories”, it is a misleading statement because although this statement is technically true - the "implied" message of burning calories above and beyond those in the food itself - is pure nonsense.

I had read an article sometime in the past few months that had research showing our bodies actually burn more calories by digesting protein than carbs or fat. Apparently it is more work for us to metabolize? I don't remember the exact source but it made sense when I read it.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • wilkinsonrg
    wilkinsonrg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really like the car analogy you used. It really exemplifies how our metabolisms function. Great post!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Love this...well put...all this to really just say...BUMP
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
  • Gdzgal771