I need everyone's opinion... Please!

Options
Okay so back in 7th and 8th grade my school had required us for gym class to run a 5k to pass gym class... I remember doing it but of course I was the fat kid... I hated it! I remember my face was soooo red afterwards and I felt so uncomfortable having everyone watching me doing it... My brothers girlfiriend just brought up a topic to me recently. She and my brother are running a 5k thanksgiving morning. I think it would be awesome to do so I can accomplish it but I'm just afraid they will finish the race way before me (which I know they will) but I just have the worries about it. I don't want to be the last one who finishes the race... I'm having 50/50 thoughts about doing it. I need opinions please!!

Replies

• bbishott19
    Options
    Definitely do the 5k! you will be so proud of accomplishing it, and that will help you want to do better! It doesn't matter how fast or slow you do the run, or even if your behind your brother. As long as you tell yourself you can do this, and think positive, you'll be amazed at the results!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Even if you walk chances are you won't be the slowest person there! I'm sure others will be in your shoes as well. Do it!!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I was always told there is no shame in where you place in the race... as long as you finish it. :flowerforyou:
  • jessashcher
    Options
    If you really want to do it, then I would, it doesn't matter if you come in last place or not, the accomplishment of just doing it is something in itself.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Question: Do YOU want to do it? If yes, then DO IT! So what if you are last? Someone has to be last, right? I am 50 years old & if there is one thing I can say to anyone reading this: The nice thing about getting older (at least for me) is you start to not give a flip about what other people think. I used to care so much what others thought,. What a waste that was! Life is to be lived & enjoyed. Want to do it, then do it. And have fun! :flowerforyou:

Edit for typo
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thoughts. If you can run some then You won't be last. I've been told that there are always people who walk the whole thing. People do it just to do it. You should worry about being last. Just concentrate on yourself and how well you do compared to yourself, not others. :)
  • newvictoria
    Options
    What type of activity level are you at currently?
    Do you walk a couple of miles a day? Ride a bike?

If not, you should start immediately. Even though it is just a couple of miles, it would be awesome to have some training underway before the BIG race on Thanksgiving. Not only will your body appreciate the prep, but your mind will also. The more you prepare, the more confident you will feel about that day!
    Good luck and have Fun!!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My opinion - do it. I've never crossed a finish line and regretted it. I'm not sure if I've ever been last, but I've certainly come close in some events ... NM half marathon comes to mind right now.

With all that being said, if this is an event that has been done before, you can probably find the results from last year on line. This will help you compare with where you're at to where some finished the event last year. Of course there are no guarantees about the times people will finish it this year, but it's a good starting point.

There's no shame in finishing last. None.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone will be laughing if you come in with the last of the finishers. Most folks that do races are there to cheer you on! Most folks will celebrate your determination and the fact that you came out and tried. I went to one race with my hubby and everyone hung around and cheered the last finishers! Most of them were pretty slow, but they went out there, did something good for themselves and FINISHED! Go for it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Okay so back in 7th and 8th grade my school had required us for gym class to run a 5k to pass gym class... I remember doing it but of course I was the fat kid... I hated it! I remember my face was soooo red afterwards and I felt so uncomfortable having everyone watching me doing it... My brothers girlfiriend just brought up a topic to me recently. She and my brother are running a 5k thanksgiving morning. I think it would be awesome to do so I can accomplish it but I'm just afraid they will finish the race way before me (which I know they will) but I just have the worries about it. I don't want to be the last one who finishes the race... I'm having 50/50 thoughts about doing it. I need opinions please!!
    I wouldn't run a 5K so you would easily beat me. You're doing something most people wouldn't even attempt so regardless of where you finish, you are still accomplishing much more than many will even do.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do it!! :)
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. As long as YOU want to do it, what do you need to prove to anyone else.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    One of the best quotes I read here that even the last person finishing a race was faster than the one who didn't get off the couch! Go for it. If you complete it you are a winner!
  • Indygyrl
    Options
    Do it for you NOT for anyone else....who care what they say and who cares when or in what place you finish....the most important thing is that you do your personal best!! Go for it!
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My opinion- If you want to do it then do it! I did one this year, my only one. I walk/jogged all of it. The time was not that important to me just that I finished it!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enter my first ever 5K in 2 weeks. I will be walking it, as I don't run. I'm doing it for me, and I'm not going to worry about how fast or slow that I am. I think you will do great, just make sure you have proper shoes and clothing, but most of all, have a fun time!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    DO IT DO IT DO IT!! And don't worry about what other people think. You need to worry about what YOU think. Get out there in the sunshine and fresh air, do the 5k. Finish it. Who gives a flying flip what place you finish or how long it takes you. YOU GO GIRL! PS....you are only 23 so I understand that you are worried what others will think. As you get older you will see that what others think don't matter so much. It's all about YOU and what matters to you.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you are, you are faster than those sitting on the sideline!
    Who cares if you come in last, at least you did it!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to do one ... just not this one. I would never encourage someone to do it for the wrong reasons or knowing that what " others " are doing is going to influence the outcome. Let your brother and his girlfriend do their thing ... and you do yours. If you pick another one that has no outside influence then you are truly doing it for YOU !

It is not about winning or how fast you can go ... it is completely about the distance you travel and how you feel in the end. Start that day with confidence and do the best you can do. I don't want to come off as mean ... I just feel that no matter how hard you try that day you will not feel accomplished because you will be comparing your results to theirs and that's just not healthy ! :(
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can do it, who cares if you walk, believe me, Ive done those in the past,,,,,everyone is too wiped out to even care what anyone else is doing. And the ones who are watching....well.....why arent they participating? :happy: