Not eating enough cals apparently (breastfeeding)

Options
Not dieting more stop eating the crap here and get out of being obese. Anyway I found breastfeeding in the cal counter and I breastfeed a toddler and a baby which equals 600 cals a day. I decided to put that in at end of the day as it was tempting to go back to over eating. Now I get a message telling me I dont eat enough. I go for a walk every day and clean so that burns cals. I am afraid of going back to eating like 4000 cals a day (no I am not joking) and just about get to 1770 a day here now before 600 breastfeeding take away and exercise. So now I get this message below?

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

Replies

• babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You burn calories breastfeeding? Gah, I can't wait to have kids. lol
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    B/c of the BFing, you'll get that message unless you hit 1800 calories a day (1200 plus the BFing 600) even if you exercise, it only pops up if you are under 1800 calories.....so really, throw in an extra apple or something small and nutritious...BFing 2 kids is harder on your body, so make sure you are getting enough calories......my rule of thumb would be as long as you hit 1800, aren't hungry, are eating healthy calories, and your supply doesn't go down, you are fine.....but also listen to your body....don't starve yourself.....just b/c of calories counting.....if it's healthy calories, it isn't going to hurt you, and as a nursing mom you don't only have yourself to think about....but no, I'd say 4000 calories a day is a BAD idea:P Good luck! and Kudos to you for tandem nursing...I never could do it ....lose my supply b/f the next one comes :)
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does burn calories FOR SOME, but not all. I personally chose not to breastfeed, but I've know tons of people that have and some it works for and others not at all. I wouldn't add it to my daily exercise I'd just chalk it up to extra without a visual. Eat your normal calorie intake and just go with it. :)
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Babylemonade...OH YEA! You burn calories BFing! It burns calories to produce, plus the calories from your food going to baby (ies)...

I still think you DO have to at least keep in mind that you are BFing....by saying it doesn't work for some you are implying not everyone loses weight BFing...that is true, but it still burns calories.....if you are eating an excessive amount of extra caloreis, or BAD calories, of course it won't "work"....but either way, it burns calories to produce milk... I never counted calories with my first 3 kids...with my last, when I actually paiod attention to my calories, I prob never ate the extra 500 or whatever, but keep in mind....not enough calories can make you lose weight, but also your supply.....as any BFing mom would know....so go with what your body tells you...like I said....if it's good food (fruits and veggies, lean meat) it won't hurt you to eat more, if you are hungry....
  • jb83
    jb83 Posts: 38
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you don't want to reduce your calories too much. If I were you, I'd try increasing your cal/day by a little, like 2000, and don't count the cals burned for breastfeeding. Then as long as you are counting to lose weight and don't have a decrease in your milk production, ignore that message!!!
  • mcadams1
    Options
    I am not a doctor so this is just my personal opinion, I think you are getting plenty of calories, not everyone eats exercise calories, I for one don't, just give it a week or 2 to see which one works best for you, as long as you are losing weight with what you are eating now I wouldn't change it.
  • frvrblonde1
    Options
    We learned in nursing school that breast feeding mothers should eat 300-500 more calories than their normal intake each day. Don't deprive yourself because both you and your baby need those nutrients! If your caloric intake becomes too low, then milk production may decrease. Hope that's helpful!
  • anneke123456
    Options
    I have it set at half a pound a week weight loose, not to much as I dont do starvation . I eat a lot still only low cal things. I have been breastfeeding for a while now and never lost anything but I assume thats because I was eating and sitting around a lot. I am determined to make it happen for me. I have a lot of fat on me from being pinned to a sofa feeding all the time and being tired. now I am out every day walking with them and not eating choc bars and living on junk. Maybe i should eat normal non diet foods?

I do know supply is not effected I read that on kellys mom but its more for mum to keep energy up with cals burned. I think its working for me now as I have been here 35 days and dropped over a stone.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would say to keep an eye on your supply. If you still have plenty of milk and have enough energy, you are probably getting enough to eat. If your supply starts going down or you are just feeling rundown (more than usual for a mom), go ahead and up it a little.
    I was one of those people who actually gained weight while breastfeeding, even though I was doing WW for nursing mothers. So, it does not work for everyone in terms of weight loss.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would say to keep an eye on your supply. If you still have plenty of milk and have enough energy, you are probably getting enough to eat. If your supply starts going down or you are just feeling rundown (more than usual for a mom), go ahead and up it a little.
    I was one of those people who actually gained weight while breastfeeding, even though I was doing WW for nursing mothers. So, it does not work for everyone in terms of weight loss.

Exactly...... you need to maintain the calories that will keep your supply and energy up..... that is SO important :)
  • anneke123456
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. I defo think i need to keep at what I am just stop depriving of all things nice. I dont do really heavy foods now the thought makes me ill. I dont like me when I am obese I am not a happy person then. But i wont starve as I tried that way and sick of eating wrong.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    As long as you are taking care to eat a balanced diet, and take a multivitamin your supply will not suffer unless you are not staying hydrated. Women in 3rd world countries breastfeed their babies (some for five or more years) on much less calories then are suggested by the APA. Just keep hydrated and getting the correct vitamins and you will be fine.
  • anneke123456
    Options
    I dont take vits I get that from what I eat. But you are right about woman in africa. Lets hope this weight loose carries on and it works for me now. May as well use it to my advantage as it does seem to be dropping off fast enough and I havnt been starving myself.
  • virgiithinkican
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I didn't include the calories I was burning while b/f and I was not eating back my excercise calories. After a week and a half I was really dragging my feet, and falling asleep almost every time I'd sit down to nurse my baby. I then started adding them in, 500 daily, so I am eating 1850 if I don't exercise and 2200 cals if I do. But at first I had mixed feelings about it. I felt like I was giving myself permission to overeat, whereas before I liked having a lower calorie intake because I thought it would be more effective. But being exhausted was not helping, so I increased my calories and the weight continues to drop. So it was all in my head! Plus, I've heard that starvation mode doesn't set in if you're on the heavier side. This is something that I think you start to see when you're closer to your goal. Good luck!