HRM chafing

Options
2»

Replies

• tallgyrl19
    Options
    OMG I am so glad I found this board. I am a 38D and I have lately taken up running. Today in the shower I discovered I had huge sores on the underside of my boobs. I was raw!!! I was very worried about how they could have got there. I reconstructed my outfit, and discovered that my breasts were rubbing against the hrm transmitter. It appears that the transmitter was inside of my bra this run and chaffed my poor girls raw! I have had a polar FT7 for a year and never had this problem but I wasn't running. I have worn this strap during other exercises but it appears that my new aggressive running workout, my large breasts, and a misplaced strap caused me a lot of discomfort during my shower.

I have noticed the difference in my stamina and running allows me to burn the most calories in the shortest time so I refuse to stop but I have to be diligent about the placement of the strap or cover it with something so the girls don't rub against it. I wear a good expensive supportive bra so I'm not having problems with support. Any ideas on what to cover the transmitter with?
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Today in the shower I discovered I had huge sores on the underside of my boobs. I was raw!!! I was very worried about how they could have got there. I reconstructed my outfit, and discovered that my breasts were rubbing against the hrm transmitter. It appears that the transmitter was inside of my bra this run and chaffed my poor girls raw! I have had a polar FT7 for a year and never had this problem but I wasn't running. I have worn this strap during other exercises but it appears that my new aggressive running workout, my large breasts, and a misplaced strap caused me a lot of discomfort during my shower.

Any ideas on what to cover the transmitter with?

EXACTLY my problem! I only get it when I run and it has been so bad that I have literally cut the girls.

One thing that helped was a bra I found. I was wearing 2 sports bras for extra support. At Scheel's I found a "Moving Comfort" sports bra. It is like 2 bras in one. This is nice because the HRM sits under the entire bra, while the girls are in a separate but attached area. And I get decent support when running.

(http://www.movingcomfort.com/Maia/350011,default,pd.html?dwvar_350011_color=420&start=1&cgid=sportsbras-DD)

I did run with it last weekend...and I got some mild chafing. It was the first time. THIS time from the underwires in the layer that my girls are in...the underwires are cotton but the fabric is a little rough. If it was a satin fabric I don't think I would have the chafing so much.

What has helped me most...is putting something in my bra. Who would have thought a 38DD would EVER pad, but I do. I've tried a paper towel section and even toilet paper (gets too wet from sweat). I'd try anything if it works! I wondered about the chafing sticks you can get at sports stores. Or even wearing one of those "sticky" cups between it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've never had that problem, but my watch is an older F6 model (which needs new batteries and I don't want to part with it to send it in for service! :sad: but I digress...) Does it have the same T-31 type transmitter?

I'd also suggest maybe using a band-aid or even athletic tape to cover that spot, to at least help protect your skin.
    I couldn't find a small enough screw driver to open the back of my watch, so I took it to a watch shop at the local mall. $10 and 20 minutes later, I had a new battery installed. Wouldn't hurt to take it to one in your area to see if they can replace it for you.

What about the transmitter? Do I just have to get a new one? (I *do* need a new elastic strap anyways, it's going on 3 years and isn't so elastic anymore lol)
    I had actually taken the transmitter in at the same time, because it had been awhile since I'd used the HRM and wasn't sure if I'd need to replace both. He said the battery in the transmitter was fine and didn't replace it. He was right, 3 months later and it is still working just fine. I'll probably take it to the same place when it starts to die.

You can certainly buy just a new strap. I know Polar sells just the strap part, without the transmitter, for a reasonable price.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try body glide or Bag Balm (the stuff for cow udders in the green tin)....i find it real helpful, I put a layer around the base of my bra (where the monitor runs) and haven't been screaming when i get in the shower when the water hits the raw skin!
  • robinlschaefer
    Options
    :happy: So happy to hear I am NOT crazy. I am training for my 1st half marathon and have the FT7 and experiencing the same thing. I have gone to double bras with no luck. Today was only a 5 mile day and the underside of both my breast have a 1/2 abrasion. I thought I was fine until I stepped in the shower. I am looking for a new bra. I measure a 36C and hate any bounce. Any advice would be great. I wasn't sure it was the heart rate monitor or the elastic seam in the bra. Thanks