Sugar! is natural sugars from milk,fruit, and yogurt bad?

Options
Ok so im trying ti figure out what to eat for dinner but i need a dairy cause i need the calcium! But everytime i add it in im over sugar. Also if I add a fruit which i love i go over sugar...SO Idk what to do... Please help. Is it ok to go over sugar since its natural sugars? Or is it not ok? and even if i add both in for dinner im still under calories.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sugar is just a carbohydrate and a waste of time to track. (unless you need to for a medical condition) :]

Fruit, milk, and other natural sources are loaded with good things. (protein, fats, fiber, vitamins) No need to avoid healthy food because sugar has a bad rep!

The reason cake sugars are to be limited are because its just empty calories D: not so good hehe
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You will hear answers all accross the board on this one. Personally, I don't track sugars at all, I just stay in a deficit while hitting my macros.
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    The sugars in flavored yogurt are by and large not from lactose but from the additives for flavor. Other than that. natural sugars are fine.
  • Ashisrunning
    Options
    Sugar is just a carbohydrate and a waste of time to track. (unless you need to for a medical condition) :]

So i can have the fruit and it wont play with my weight? Cause i dont want to go over sugar if its going to play with my weight or make me gain.
    Options

So i can have the fruit and it wont play with my weight? Cause i dont want to go over sugar if its going to play with my weight or make me gain.

Wont make you gain at all! Remain in a calorie deficit and you will lose :]

I added to my above post :]
  • Ashisrunning
    Options
    I feel stupid to ask this but what the heck is a calorie deficit? :P lol
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Outside of being a diabetic sugar intake is irrelevant. All carbohydrates are and will eventually get broken down into sugar in the body. It's just another common myth that people spread around when really having no basing for the statement. So if it's fitting into your goals, eat as much fruit, milk, yogurt, and whatever else you please.
    Options
    I feel stupid to ask this but what the heck is a calorie deficit? :P lol

No worries! :D

Calorie deficit means that you are eating less then you expend.

So if you are under your calories basically :]
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't great for you but you won't be consuming it in large amounts from things like fruit anyways. Too much messes with your insulin and insulin resistance, and can make you unable to tell if you're full. Fructose, fruit sugar, is also basically a toxin that must be processed by your liver - thankfully, nature is no dummy and packaged fructose with fiber in fruit, which helps the processing.

Know that all sugar is basically the same. Whether it came from an apple or a cake doesn't matter, it is sugar. It's all about how much you have.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Read the ingredients on the labels for yogurt, sometimes they add sugar. But sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables are good for you because they are natural sugars, your body can break those sugars easily, unlike in e.g. candy or processed foods.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, it all counts; but if you can't afford unsweetened dairy, or 2-3 fruit a day, your sugar goal may be way super-low. I count 50-100 carbs a day, and it is working wonderfully.

I don't differentiate between sugars and other carbs, because it all ends up as sugar in the blood. You can subtract dietary fiber from your carb count though, that doesn't go into your bloodstream.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    There is no definitive answer to the question, but 40 grams is the recommended amount for non-diabetic people. If you're diabetic or borderline diabetic, please see the note at the bottom. 40 grams of sugar refers mainly to added sugar, which is anything that is put into foods rather that which is naturally occurring such as in fruit. By this logic, for instance, ALL sugar in soda would be considered "added," since the beverage itself is constructed rather than harvested.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult#ixzz1bdlFrKeM
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't think natural sugars are bad at all. Fruits and dairy are too important to give up the vitamins and nutrients they supply for the sake of the sugar content.. It's the processed sugars found in cake,cookies,candies and other junk foods that are unhealthy,empty calories. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 38yrs and have never given up healthy sugars. I try to make sure I have 2 servings of fruit daily. Just don't go overboard. Hope this helps. Best of luck on your journey. Diane
  • mabonnevie107
    mabonnevie107 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ehhh... milk is questionable, and too much fruit (like too much of anything) isn't helping you. i'd say try to eat seasonal fruits if you can. processed sugars are the worst, and sugar from yogurt that has added sugar is obviously not good, but Siggi's skyr yogurt, for instance, is pretty low processed and has a bit of sugar from the added fruit. I'd rather go for high fat dairy like heavy cream. the less processed the better...
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    I think what people here are saying is: Fruit sugar is better than added sugar but yes sugar is sugar and if you eat 5,000 calories worth of fruit it will make you gain weight. However if you're looking at the goals for grams of carbs, protein and fat that MFP has laid out for you it is based on the minimum for your body weight (50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat). Those are the minimums but especially if you are exercising a lot, carbs are a good place to add more calories because they give you immediate energy (there is a delay for protein and fat). Even if your carb category is over the "goal" amount in MFP and you are still under your daily calorie goal (which is hopefully calibrated for maintenance - is that what you are doing now?) then you shouldn't gain weight. That being said, everybody's body is different and you have to find the right balance of foods that work for your body and give you the energy you need. Normal individuals (average or less than average activity) need 4-5g/kg bodyweight of Carbs per day (carbs are sugar). If you're exercising a lot (4-5 times per week) you may need between 5-10g/kg bodyweight per week but if you are exercising your overall calorie expenditure goes up so as long as you are taking in approximately 50% of your calories in carbohydrates, that is the recommendation. More exercise = more allowance for sugar (=carbs). And as long as you are within your calorie limit and want to put your carbs up to 60% or whatever you will be ok.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    While the sugar isn't all that bad if you're really worried there are plenty of other ways to get calcium if that's all you're after.

Check out this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/375282-this-is-why-mom-said-to-drink-your-milk

The title is misleading, however there's links posted in there that shows you other sources of calcium.
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    The sugars in flavored yogurt are by and large not from lactose but from the additives for flavor. Other than that. natural sugars are fine.

Lactose is by definition is a sugar. Unless additives for flavour contain sucrose, glucose, galactose, fructose or lactose, they do not contain sugar. The sugar in yogurt is mostly made up of lactose but sometimes they add sugar (sucrose) so just check the packaging.
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options

Wont make you gain at all! Remain in a calorie deficit and you will lose :]

I added to my above post :]

Fruit does contain some sugar but mostly it contains fiber and a lot of nutrients. Fruit juice on the other hand is sugar with the fiber removed so avoid fruit juice. You can be over your sugar limit for the day and as long as you are under your total calories for the day you will not gain weight (and if fruit is the thing pushing the sugar up I say that's great! Fruit is good for you). But if you eat thousands of calories worth of fruit a day (that would be really hard due to the volume of the stuff) then it could potentially make you gain weight. In the end it's just numbers.
  • beefwalker
    Options
    Come on people. I can't beleive so many of you are ignorant on the subject of sugars. As far as the body is concerned, all sugars are the same (ish!)

Firstly, forget all the "but it's natural" ****e. Arsenic, cyanide and even radiation are 'natural'.

Now, onto sugars... No not all sugars are created Equal. (Hah! Sweetener pun!)
    Sugar (i.e. sucrose i.e. cane or beet sugar) is half glucose and half fructose.
    Fructose is the 'sugar' we find in fruit.

Fructose, while packaged in the fibre and vitamin wrapper we call fruit - is in fact, even worse for us than regular sugar, as the body can't handle it well. In fact, it's treated like a toxin and goes straight to the liver (just like alcohol!)

Neither sugar or fructose are good ways to work up to your calorie intake as they drive up insulin and cause you to store fat (among other things). Calories from vegetables, meat, fish, fat and good oils don't do this. That's why a person on 2,000 calories per day of meat, veg and even lard will be far healthier (and less obese!) than someone on 2,000 calories of milk-duds and fruit.

As for the "I need to consume dairy as I need my calcium" this is bunk.
    Eat dairy if you like, but for millions of years we never consumed dairy and we were never calcium deficient. Eat meat, fish and green veg and you'll not be calcium deficient either. And perhaps take some magnesium. It helps you sleep, helps prevent cramps and most people who say they're calcium deficient are IN FACT magnesium deficient. The more magnesium we have, the less calcium we need. Nice huh?