Where on I-70 are you? Week 1 [CLOSED GROUP]

PBmaria
PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, guys!
Alright, so 21 of us have accepted the challenge. I am still waiting to hear back from another 2 people so we may actually end up with 23. At any rate, I included a list of all 22 so you can feel free to add each other if you want.

Normally, I'll start a new thread every Monday but I decided to start a little early this week, so if you want, please tell us a little bit about yourself and what your running/walking habits are! And please don't be intimidated if you see people with higher mileage or more running experience. Remember: slow/low mileage is better than no mileage!

About me: My name's Maria and I live in MD. I started running about a year ago. In fact, my first race (a 5k) was Thanksgiving 2010. Since then, I have completed two 1/2 marathons and I have 2 more races before the end of the year. I'm currently averaging 20 miles running 4 times a week and I'm planning on bumping it up a bit.

mariawells
smurfette75
thamre
leslye125
roadrunner1990
mariababe81
jennc831
carolinesuzannesmith
kck21886
anichols2288
topsking2010
jeepinmom4
hollyg123
ynotnow
rtalencar85
bburg86
wellsd1984
LA_proud
Maryjaneshoes
Promethea79
jessicamckay13
sineadangel1
summergreen487

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    I'm David. I'm Maria's husband. I've been running for a little over 2 years. I can't wait to start!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Hi, my name is Ruy (Who-ee). I live in New York but am currently in Sao Paulo, Brazil on business. The apartment here doesn't have weights but it does have a treadmill, so even though I am decidedly NOT your typical runner, I am trying to do between 5 and 10k a day. Looking forward to doing this challenge with everyone!
  • cycle_babe
    cycle_babe Posts: 10 Member
    i'm rae (went to um, college park and lived in md for 20y) i live in indianapolis. i ran track (sprints) in hs but i despise distance running...LOL anyway, my trainer said that running was a neccessary evil for dropping weight. so ive been adding small segments to my routines. i recently completed the rebel race (5k military obstacle course) and believe it or not it was fun. back to the story -- my friend and i decided why not the indianapolis mini -- it's coming up in may -- so i thought this challenge would help me train!!
  • I'm Jessica. I've been running off and on since middle school. I'm not fast but I do love to run! I live in Nevada with my husband (who I met at a gym), two daughters, and two dogs. I am just starting to study to be a personal trainer so it will be interesting to see what my hours do to my running schedule. The head trainer that offered me a job wants me to work before I'm certified as an assistant/slave labor/sales. I usually run T/Th/Sa/Su but I'm already screwy this weekend with extra kids, soccer game, sleepover, etc. So, my first week may not be my best! I am averaging 15-20/week but building on that in hopes of someday running a marathon.
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    I'm Mary, live in MD. Finished a half in.September, I'm training for Shamrock in March, this time I'm.shooting for the full. Currently I average 15 to 20 miles a week. I also love Les Mills group exercise classes, I take combat and step as often.as my schedule will.allow. so excited to get started! :-)
  • I'm Caroline....I'm 23 and living in Auburn, Alabama (War Eagle). I like to run, although I feel like I'm not necessarily "good" at it.. Although I can feel myself getting faster each time I step on the treadmil/start running outside. I've always been into running, but just recently (past three months or so) I have actually gotten into improving my runs (length, time, etc...). Looking forward to this challenge!
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    I'm Holly, 23 and I live in Txwith my husband and two sons. I'm just starting to really get in to running, so I'm working on walking, then running so I can then running my first race 12/3/2011.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 629 Member
    Hi, I am Theresa. I live in Lake Park, MN with my husband and 3 kids. I started running last summer and ran my first 5k September 2010 with a time of 37 minutes. Since than, I have run 5 more 5k with my best time being 29.54. I just ran my first 10k this month with a time of 1:01. My goal is to do maybe 1 more 10k next May and to do a 1/2 marathon next September. I probably average 10-15 miles run every week.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Hi I'm kim,I'm 29 and I have 4 kids ranging in age from 2~10 :) I'm in no way a runner. Ill be walking MOST of my weekly miles. I live in a small town out in the country in Illinois. I can't wait to step this up a notch and get some weight off before christmas! Hope everyone does a good job!:flowerforyou:
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Leslie...wouldn't call myself a runner. I just started another attempt at it last month. I can run (jog) a mile now without stopping. I normally walk/jog two miles a day during the week, so I will be stepping it up for this challenge. I would like to do my first 5k next year. Looking forward to "traveling" with everyone =D
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 628 Member
    Hello everyone!!! I'm Jennifer /27 yrs old, live in Shalimar Fl with my husband and our dog Milo... When I was active duty AF I use to run about 15 miles a week.... I loved running... But it's been forever since I've actually focused on running and I'm hoping this challenge will reconnect me with my long lost love... LOL.. Currently I walk/jog with my pup Milo 2 miles.. So I'm hoping within the weeks to come I'll increase our mileage, work on my endurance and speed... Good luck to you all!!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    Bump
  • PBmaria
    And we're off! Alright, start keeping track of them miles today, fellow travelers!

Below is what the list will look like. Once you tell me how much you've ran/walked since the last time you checked in, I'll add your distance and move you on the list accordingly. I'll keep us ranked and I'll include the last checkpoint (LC) passed so we know your whereabouts. As you can see, my husband has taken the lead.

Have fun and don't forget to check in as often as you can! :)

1st: wellsd1984. 10 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    2nd: mariawells. 9 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.

smurfette75
    thamre
    leslye125
    roadrunner1990
    mariababe81
    jennc831
    carolinesuzannesmith
    kck21886
    anichols2288
    topsking2010
    jeepinmom4
    hollyg123
    ynotnow
    rtalencar85
    bburg86
    LA_proud
    Maryjaneshoes
    Promethea79
    jessicamckay13
    sineadangel1
    summergreen487
  • M_lifts
    Im Mariam, 30 and married with a little one that is nearly 3. I have been running since May when i started the c25k programme. Been running properly since August and am addicted. Ive competed in one 5k race so far been too slow to sign up to more!. However, i belong the local running club and run btw 5-13k with them weather depending. I am hoping to do a half next.
  • Do you want us to check in after every run/walk or weekly?
  • PBmaria
    As often as you can. That way the rankings are as accurate as possible :)
  • PBmaria
    Do you want us to check in after every run/walk or weekly?

As often as you can. That way the rankings are as accurate as possible :)
  • PBmaria
    Alright, I caught up with my husband by running an extra mile! :)
    Hope everyone's having a great Sunday!

1st: wellsd1984. 10 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    2nd: mariawells. 10 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    3rd: JennC831. 4 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD.

smurfette75
    thamre
    leslye125
    roadrunner1990
    mariababe81
    carolinesuzannesmith
    kck21886
    anichols2288
    topsking2010
    jeepinmom4
    hollyg123
    ynotnow
    rtalencar85
    bburg86
    LA_proud
    Maryjaneshoes
    Promethea79
    jessicamckay13
    sineadangel1
    summergreen487
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Day 1. 5 miles :)
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Hi, I'm Alexa from Houston, Tx. I have never been a runner, but recently decided to run a half marathon in Austin in February with a few friends of mine, so I am working on training for that. I just twisted my ankle this week though, so I may have to do some walking for a little while til it heals. Running today didn't go all that well.

Day 1: 3 miles
  • 5.75 miles! Ran from gym to a park near my friends house (she was watching the kids), weight lifting beforehand drained me!
  • PBmaria
    We are off to a great start!

1st: wellsd1984. 13 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    2nd: mariawells. 13 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    3rd: jessicamckay13. 5.75 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    4th: JennC831. 4 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD.
    5th: jeepinmom4. 1.5 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD

smurfette75
    thamre
    leslye125
    roadrunner1990
    mariababe81
    carolinesuzannesmith
    kck21886
    anichols2288
    topsking2010

hollyg123
    ynotnow
    rtalencar85
    bburg86
    LA_proud
    Maryjaneshoes
    Promethea79
    sineadangel1
    summergreen487
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    I walked about 5 miles yesterday, and had a long day...so today I was done!! Will get at it tomorrow!! Gotta catch up to you guys =D
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Hey everyone. I am Leslye. I live in sunny Glendale Arizona. I've been running on and off for a couple years. I love it, but I never took the time to enjoy it for ME. I started to this year. I just finished my first challenge with Maria this week. During this past 8 weeks she took us from 8 miles to 24 and it was awesome. I litterally just completed my first ever race a 5k! I AM STILL so excited. We are looking to do a 10k in San Fran on Thanksgiving day as we will be visiting family then. I am hoping to average 20-25 miles a week. Here we go everyone will see you on the I-70
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    7.77 miles since yesterday (the treadmills are all in km here, Although I do quite like that 12.5 turns into 7.77) Going to try to bang out another 5k tonight.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Day 1: 3 miles
    Day 2: 2.5 miles
  • PBmaria
    Great job so far, everyone!

1st: wellsd1984. 13 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    2nd: mariawells. 13 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    3rd: rtalencar85. 7.7 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    4th: leslye125. 6.2 miles. LC: Frederick, MD
    5th: jessicamckay13. 5.75 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    6th: anichols2288. 5.5 miles. LC: Frederick, MD.
    7th: JennC831. 4 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD.
    8th carolinesuzannesmith. 2.5 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD.
    9th: jeepinmom4. 1.5 miles. LC: Baltimore, MD

smurfette75
    thamre
    roadrunner1990
    mariababe81
    kck21886
    topsking2010
    hollyg123
    ynotnow
    bburg86
    LA_proud
    Maryjaneshoes
    Promethea79
    sineadangel1
    summergreen487
  • M_lifts
    are we counting yesterday or from today?

yesterday: 4 mile walk
    today: I ran 7.1k today so 4.35miles (planning to do this this afternoon) + 3 mile walk
  • PBmaria
    We started yesterday :)
    are we counting yesterday or from today?

yesterday: 4 mile walk
    today: I ran 7.1k today so 4.35miles (planning to do this this afternoon) + 3 mile walk
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Hi, I am Francia and I live in McKinney Texas (burbs of Dallas). I have just started running, slow and steady. I have three spoiled rotten kids who keep me sharp! After spending Saturday and Sunday with 7 girl scouts @ Sea World, I am happy to report that I am 12 miles down the highway!
This discussion has been closed.