first time lowcarber

Options
I'm just completing my 3rd day of eating fewer than 30 carbs. Feeling a bit low...could it be lack of sugar bringing me down? Will it pass?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Why so few? I'm a big low carb person -- but that is extremely low amount unless you're doing it for just a week or two.
    Are you trying to get into ketosis?

I would up your protein...that will make you feel full at least.
  • chicachyna
    chicachyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, my doc says I need to get into ketosis, whatever that is! She has set a goal that I lose 25 lbs in the next 3 months. With Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my son's wedding all coming up first!
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Oh wow... I have epilepsy and a ketogenic diet was suggested for me as well. In saying that though, after about a month I switched over to Paleo and I try to keep it below 60gms a day. To help fill yourself up, I would recommend snacking on things like almond butter and celery, also pre-boil some eggs so you can grab one for a snack if you're in a hurry :)
  • Julieverduz
    Options
    Please be careful I did a lot of this in my younger days to lose and it worked.... but not healthy I am going through my change and this type of eating only hurt me more.... eat in portions u can lose it trust me
  • lowerbsnow
    lowerbsnow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have very high blood sugar so I am also trying to lower my carbs, but my goal is 130 or below. Why are you going so low?
  • luv2runsgf
    Options
    It is pretty common to feel a bit off-kilter when starting low-carb especially if you had turned to carbs for "mood-enhancement" in the past - my downfall anyway (peanut M&M's can cure frustration, loneliness, boredom, anger, etc LOL). Give it a week or so - herb tea helps in my opinion and there are lots of varieties. Make sure you eat enough calories. Best of luck to you!
  • Manda_H
    Manda_H Posts: 80
    Options
    I am attempting low carbs too but not so low. It will make you quite fatigued if u do. What about choosing just better carbs but not worrying so much about the number itself? Not all carbs are created equal. I have lost 15 lbs in the last month just by keeping mine under 100 a day (low grains, low fruit, no sugar) with 12 of those pounds in the first 10 days.
  • chicachyna
    Options
    i am on limited calories, too. I have exceeded that today by just a few. Most of these 3 days I have felt pretty full. Loving the cheese without feeling guilty! But i'm feeling kinda low tonight, and hoping it will get better.
  • chicachyna
    Options
    jasm: Wow! I'd love to lose that in one month!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins many times and I am currently doing the new Atkins approach which I find is great! I'm eating and have no side effects from ketosis! Make sure u are eating veggies and u are not looking at just the carbs but the fiber also Which gives u the net carbs... The website is free and great take a look Atkins.com
  • mjsohm
    mjsohm Posts: 40
    Options
    I've heard of a week long carb "cleansing, followed by a gradual reintroduction of very high fiber carbohydrates. That week is a real bear though, since your bodies cravings will be very strong. Good sleep and plenty of water helped me though that and my body did get used to a more steady glycogen supply instead of the sugar spike and subsequent crash. With that kind of diet, my understanding is that calories are not so much to worry about until you're into the reintroduction phase. Hang in there!