Weird situation, would you have handled it any different?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i agree with the general consensus here. You handled it really well, and i don't think i could have handled it any better.
  • Lulu2929
    Options
    I think you handled it beautifully, and congratulations on your achievements, you are truly an inspiration.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone... I was just really thinking about it alot this morning and last night... Was replaying it in my head, and wasnt sure if maybe I shoudlve just let it go without saying anything.. But I guess I made the right choice by doing what I did..
  • email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think you handled it wonderfully! Sometimes, people who haven't been there before, don't know any better (well, yes they do) but they REALLY, REALLY don't know. I'm glad you shared with them, told them about your journey and showed them photos. It was good that you could share yourself and your experience with them. They will certainly remember this from here on out and I'm betting your story has been told several times over already by these two.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I say good for you!

I am not sure I would have said anything. It really would depend on my mood. I think it is GREAT that you said something. I think those guys may have learned something from it.

Your accomplishments are amazing and so are you!
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wait, were they making insensitive fat people jokes or were they just joking about how big the shirt was? From your post it sounds like they were just joking about how big the shirt was ... which I wouldn't have percieved as offensive.

One time my BFF and I put on a pair of pants that was so big that we each fit in one leg of the pants and we hopped around. We weren't making fun of people who happen to be oversized (in fact, we weren't thinking about the person who might've fit into those pants at all), we were just playing with the pants cuz they were so big. It hadn't even occurred to me that it might have been perceived as insensitive until I read your post.

Regardless, I think the right answer is to do whatever you felt comfortable with and I agree with other responders who noted that it seemed to work out well. So, therein lies your answer. :-)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone... I was just really thinking about it alot this morning and last night... Was replaying it in my head, and wasnt sure if maybe I shoudlve just let it go without saying anything.. But I guess I made the right choice by doing what I did..

I would have let it go and that would have been a missed opportunity; you handled it perfectly! Young people are often going to make fun of anyone different from them (size, race, gender, you name it,) that's life. But I bet your story will impact them in years to come even if they forget about it. You gently contributed to helping young people mature. Good on you!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    kudos to you! i think it was clever, appropriate and ballsy. well done!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As with everyone else, I think you handled it well. I probably would have said nothing, but that is because I generally never speak to strangers (esp annoying ones). I just assume they are stupid and leave them to it. I think your way is certainly better. You were nice to them and whether or not they were making fun of the shirt or the person that would wear it, I think they probably learned something beneficial from their experience.

On a side note, I've been meaning to email you and say thank you for the help you gave me a while back with getting started running. I started, had an injury, started again, got sick, and now I am once again restarting. Since I have had so much down time I won't be running the 5K in Nov that I had planned, but I am going to walk it. I found a great app for C25K for my phone and does all the counting for me with audible cues. I got fitted for real running shoes, which was a huge improvement over what I had before, and I bought a HRM which has also been a big help. Thanks for inspiring me to get off my *kitten*. :flowerforyou:
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    Gary...You handled it wonderfully! I take any opportunity to discuss weight loss and fitness (you know that!)
    I dont know if I ever told you the story about Louis. Right after we got married we were back at my parents' house cleaning out my old bedroom. While I was in my closet he walks in and says "OH MAN is that an ugly pattern for sheets!" I had no idea what he was talking about...so of course I say "what's an ugly pattern?" He says " the black sheets with the bright flowers". I turn around and realized that it wasn't sheets that he was talking about but one of my dresses from when I was at my heaviest. I laughed it off because at that time I was down to 135 pounds (105 pounds lost at the time) and knew I was not going to go back to wearing my "sheets".
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You handled it fine. More importantly...CONGRATULATIONS on your loss!!!! You are amazing :)
    :flowerforyou:
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Gary...You handled it wonderfully! I take any opportunity to discuss weight loss and fitness (you know that!)
    I dont know if I ever told you the story about Louis. Right after we got married we were back at my parents' house cleaning out my old bedroom. While I was in my closet he walks in and says "OH MAN is that an ugly pattern for sheets!" I had no idea what he was talking about...so of course I say "what's an ugly pattern?" He says " the black sheets with the bright flowers". I turn around and realized that it wasn't sheets that he was talking about but one of my dresses from when I was at my heaviest. I laughed it off because at that time I was down to 135 pounds (105 pounds lost at the time) and knew I was not going to go back to wearing my "sheets".

U never told me that story before Clascy, thats something though... You are amazing! Your girls are lucky to have an intelligent and healthy mommy :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You handled it perfectly! Too often I think people fail to realize that fat people are still....people. You allowed them to see "you" in both ways and that's an incredible gift and lesson that you gave them! Great job!
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    kudos to you! i think it was clever, appropriate and ballsy. well done!

"Like"!!!!
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think you handled it with class and grace. Too often people don't think about their comments and how they can affect others. I think that by sharing your story with them, they may think more and may even help others understand that words can have a lasting impact.
  • Jendulin
    Options
    Can't say how I would have handled it. May have not said anything but I think you handled it very well put it into perspective for those two guys that they should be a little more discrete with their conversations because you never know who can hear you and how it may affect them. Bravo to you :smile:
  • joanneferrato
    joanneferrato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never ever doubt yourself. What you are doing is like climbing Mount Everest and you are doing it with such style, poise and grace. Kudo's to you and I hope that those young men have learned a valuable lesson. :)