accents?

Options

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    From Texas - no accent - but i discovered i do say "whole 'nother" and that's starting to irritate me.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    So.. completely not fitness related but hey!
    Saw a post in the introducing forum about If there was any Aussies out there. This might be weird but I have been raised in the US all my life, (Texas born and raised) and I have always wanted to be from Australia, or go away for years and inherit their accent... I just think it sounds so cool! This is possibly a side effect from watching way to much Crocodile Hunter when I was a kid *RIP Steve Irwin*. Anyways I just think accents are so interesting. I am from Texas, and I live in central Texas and it's really weird though because a lot of girls my age I run into from central TX sound more like they could be from California than having the famous slow draw were famous for. I find that a lot of people I meet from east TX a very heavy southern accent.

So.. do you have an accent? If so where is it from? Have you ever wanted to be from a specific part of the world where they talked a certian way?

Cheers! :p

I am from East Texas, and I definitely have a southern accent. It is funny how different the accents can be in Texas, though. I used to work with a girl who was raised in Central Texas, and she was always telling me she loved my "pretty drawl." She thought her accent was more "redneck" than refined.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Big Southern Accent Here!!!!! I am from a little town called Pembroke Georgia, just about 20 minutes from Savannah, Georgia. Ugh! I hate my accent, wish it was just normal.

I actually love accents from like Georgia and around there :)

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am from the Pittsburgh (PA) area and thankfully NEVER picked up on Pittsburghese...but being that I lived in West Virginia for 10 years (from age 8-18) I picked up a southern-ish accent and sometimes even after not living there for 11 years I sometimes catch myself with my lost southern accent.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    West coast Scottish. But not West coast Scottish 'ned' which other Scots will understand is awful. I'm not posh Scots but I am well-spoken.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I'm a Londoner but I don't have a cockney accent. People tell me I'm quite well spoken, I now live in Bath (which is also southern England) and people can never tell where I'm from, I think I just have a generic southern English accent with no specific regional distinction.

I LOVE Socttish and Irish accents, especially Scottish accents (as long as they're not so thick that I can't understand them!) but I HATE Welsh accents, it's like nails on a blackboard to me (sorry to anyone from Wales!).

I also like French accents and hispanic accents.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I sound like your average Arizona girl. 80% California, 10% Texas and 10% Michigan. I do NOT sound Southern but all my family back east says I sound like a cowgirl now. I wonder what in the world they think Texans sound like then... :laugh:

Here's a clip of me speaking (for anyone interested):

I'm moving to Georgia soon and I reeeeeaaallly want to get some of that accent! :)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a southern accent---I'm from south Georgia, but I love it :) --Except when I'm trying to sound professional on the phone....I don't think I can be taken seriously...HAHA
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I have a natural affinity for languages, dialects and accents (I was a languages major in college.) I find I tend to start sub-consciously mimicking an accent when I'm talking to someone with a pronounced accent. I live in Upstate New York, and don't really "hear" an accent from this region, although folks from other parts of the country have commented on mine.

I used to work with a woman named "Collette" who was born and raised in County Cork, Ireland. She even brought in her birth certificate, which was in English and Irish Gaelic! She had a wonderful, subtle Irish brogue that was charming. As I worked directly across from her, I spoke with her regularly and would find myself falling into her Irish accent. She would laugh, and say if she didn't know better, I could have been her neighbor back in Cork!

I've recently been talking to a dear friend in East Texas, and I find the longer we speak, the more I start absorbing some of the "color" of the dialect from that region. I know if I ever relocate I'll sound like a native in no time, just the way my brain is wired. :)
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    ummm from the Midwest so no accent....but could I please have Sendhil Ramamurthy talk to me all day his voice makes me melt!
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lived in southeast Georgia my entire life yet most people tell me I don't sound like it. Probably because my mom is Jamaican and my dad is Nigerian, so I didn't grow up around the southern accent like most kids. The only way people tell I'm from the south is because I say " ya'll " alot, lol
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Just a cali girl here, but I must say . . .. ACCENTS. ... are so hot & sexy!:blushing:
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have an english accent. A real english accent though, not the Hugh Grant english
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I WISH I had a Scottish accent! That's my favorite :)

I sometimes have a leftover Wisconsin accent apparently when I say certain words. Other that that, I'm bland. hah!

Funny though, when I went to England, I asked my friends to imitate my American accent and they did it with a Southern twang! LOL! I was like, I don't know who you're imitating, but it's definitely not my accent! I guess dialects are a bit hard to pick up in other places, because when I attempted to imitate them they said I sounded like I was from a whole different part of England hah!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    ummm from the Midwest so no accent....but could I please have Sendhil Ramamurthy talk to me all day his voice makes me melt!

:laugh:

I lol'd at the "so no accent" part. No, honey. lol
  • flamingo63
    Options
    I am from England and have the accent from there. Most Americans love my accent and are so lovely asking me to keep talking, thank you my friends from' across the Pond'.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I WISH I had a Scottish accent! That's my favorite :)

I sometimes have a leftover Wisconsin accent apparently when I say certain words. Other that that, I'm bland. hah!

Funny though, when I went to England, I asked my friends to imitate my American accent and they did it with a Southern twang! LOL! I was like, I don't know who you're imitating, but it's definitely not my accent! I guess dialects are a bit hard to pick up in other places, because when I attempted to imitate them they said I sounded like I was from a whole different part of England hah!

Haha thats so funny I have seen the same thing where ppl with English accents try to sound american and they try to sound like country heehee
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I worked for a market research company one summer in college. I had to call people and ask them to take surveys. I used to get so excited when the Jersey zip codes would pop up on the list because that accent is so fun to listen to! I would ask a question like 'Where do you shop the most in this mall?' and these ladies would just ramble to me about getting stuck in traffic and finding a sale, but I didn't even care. Haha.
  • EmmaJean7
    Options
    I have an Irish accent!
    But...
    NOT the FAKE leprechaun accent that they use in movies, and NOT the thick, strong Dublin accent, but a subtle Irish accent.
    PS, no one in Ireland says "to be sure, to be sure" or "top o' the mornin' to ya laddy!" or any of these, sorry to disappoint!!!

I love different accents though - all the American/Canadian accents (I love Southern Accents especially), Australian (but I actually prefer the New Zealand), Scottish....

:flowerforyou:

ooh I love Irish accents too! I just feel like american accent is so bland -_- although I do like some of the dialects here. Thats so cool!
  • EmmaJean7
    Options
    I worked for a market research company one summer in college. I had to call people and ask them to take surveys. I used to get so excited when the Jersey zip codes would pop up on the list because that accent is so fun to listen to! I would ask a question like 'Where do you shop the most in this mall?' and these ladies would just ramble to me about getting stuck in traffic and finding a sale, but I didn't even care. Haha.

thats so funny! They talk alot haha :)