Food nutrition labels

Options
OK, so I've really been looking at nutritional info lately at stores. And it frustrates me. I am watching calories, but I also watch my sodium for my heart. Why is it that if it is fat free or light it will have higher sodium? It seems that it is almost better to just go with the regular and just watch how much you eat.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've really been looking at nutritional info lately at stores. And it frustrates me. I am watching calories, but I also watch my sodium for my heart. Why is it that if it is fat free or light it will have higher sodium? It seems that it is almost better to just go with the regular and just watch how much you eat.

a lot of low fat/diet things have loads of salt/sugar to try and get some flavour!

you're right, 9 times out of 10 the 'regular' version is actually better!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When you take out the fat it takes away some of the flavor, so they add salt to make up for that.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yup. I agree with the PP .... 'ya gotta get flavor somewhere.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Processed Foods in general will have alot of sodium, hydroginated oils, sugars chemicals. It is processed so if they take the fat out they replace with other crap.
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options

It seems like it's better to eat the regular versions and just watch portions because it is better to eat the regular versions and watch portions.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I find that too, I watch my sodium and would much rather (in most cases) have the full fat version than have loads of extras put in there just to keep the flavour. I think I have light mayonnaise and that's it.
    Lighter versions also have lots more ingredients and added things you can't pronouce. I once had a look on the back of both regular ribena and light ribena. It's so much more basic on the regular, something I'd definately rather drink if I'm honest.