20 minute run, wobble

Options
I am going to be doing/trying/failing to do the 20 minute run as part of the C25K training program.

Since I read through the descriptions of the different runs, this one always stood out as looking hard. Now it is time to do it and despite doing Week Five runs One and Two OK (tired but did them) I still am panicking over this one.

Why am I so worried about this run, plenty of people have done why shouldn't I ? Argghh. Wondering whether to rerun the 2 x 8 minute run again or say 'sod it' and just go for the 20 minute one and see what happens.

I am so not a runner :(

Replies

• amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. It's really not as hard as it seems, since you've been following the program. Listen to music, think of other things, anything to get your mind off of it, and don't keep checking the clock. You'll be surprised how well you do.

I'm on Week 7 Day 1 today.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I say try it...you may surprise yourself. When I was at this point in the program I was wondering if I could make it or if I needed to go back or even stop. I decided to go for it; and did it; and called my wife barely out of breath and said, "I did it!"
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are going to feel so awesome when those 20 minutes are over!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    you are psyching yourself out! You need a nice mantra to help get you through it!

If you *truly* think you can't do it, do the 2 x 8 again...ONCE, and do the 20 minute one next time. You can do this! You have been training for it. You just gotta get your head in the game (or out of it, since you are over-thinking it!)
  • TinyTina2012
    Options
    Hey I just did W5D2 for the third time. I think I'm finally ready to go for that 20 minute run.

Let's do it together!!!
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it sounds like youve given up before youve even started. Try it who knows what can happen when you push yourself!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, I'll do Run Three in a couple of hours and update this thread later with how it went.
    You are going to feel so awesome when those 20 minutes are over!
    LOL, Love your confidence in me :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    options: re-run the 2x8 run again, run 2x10 (boom, there's your 20 minutes. no shame in taking a minute rest break between em.)
    try running slower ;) that's one of the issues beginning runners have--going out too fast and not being able to keep that pace up for an extended period of time. slow it down and you will probably run farther and longer with less stress on your body.

if you are really struggling, look at run/walk training like Jeff Galloway's programs--he even recommends walk breaks for experienced MARATHON runners :) walking during a run is NOT a sign of failure. Everyone gets there differently.

You can do this!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    not to discourage you, but this week for me was a brick wall. i modified it so that my goal was 11 minutes, then 15, then 17 and then 20. it took a few extra weeks, but i succeeded and i completed the program, and now i'm up to 3.4 miles nonstop. if 20 minutes solid is problematic, modify as you need to and stay the course - don't feel like a failure if you find it difficult. i found that to be a *huge* jump and had to make up 'baby steps' to get me there. who knows? you might get it done like it ain't no thing and this whole thread will sound silly to you! but if it's hard, just modify it and keep running - you've got this!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You can do it. This is the hard one, but only psychologically. And yes, you will feel awesome once you've done it. What I told myself going into it was that if it seemed like I couldn't do it, I could always drop back to intervals. I told myself I would run as long as I could, and could then take an interval and resume. I didn't need to, but just knowing I could do that helped from a psych standpoint. And even if you do need to interval, the point is progress, right, so if you run longer than your last best, you are still moving forward.

FWIW, it took me 4 months to complete the C25K program. I had injuries set me back for over a month, but now I am signed up for my first 5K this Sat. Even if it takes you longer than 9 weeks to get there, you will get there!
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! I find the best way to do a timed run is by NOT looking at the time, I always cover it up on the treadmill... that way you are not thinking about how far you need to go, but rather on how you are doing at the moment.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    I DID IT ! I DID IT !

I found the last 5ish minutes tough going but I DID IT !

I feel great :)

Thanks for all the support and suggestions, it worked :)

Husband is having his turn now, he told me I was going to do it. He couldn't understand why I was getting myself worked up about this run.

Off to have a look at Week Six's runs never thought I could ever run TWENTY minutes at one time, I could barely run sixty seconds when I started. :)
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great job! I could barely do the 60 secs at first myself. Isn't it an amazing feeling? :-)
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Totally amazing. I am very happy and very tired at the same time.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I DID IT ! I DID IT !

Whooo!!! Congratulations! There is NO stopping you now! Running the full 30 minutes is only a few weeks away, and now you KNOW you'll be able to do it! Way to go!
  • katieruns
    Options
    WTG!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

My 20 minute is coming up day after tomorrow. I redid W5D2 3 times.... this morning I took my time.... and my 2nd 8 minute run which I couldn't complete the last two times I kicked it out and kept going for an additional 4 minutes for a total of 12. I was stoked!!! I don't know if I could have gone another 8 minutes, but I figure that was my 2nd 8 min run not my first.

So happy for you!!!! Way to knock it out of the park!! And way to push through the last 5 minutes!!!!