Introducing myself : ) Possible HCG, would love feedback!

Options
Was a bit leary of doing the whole, "introduce myself" but figured it's better to have all feet on deck than not. Nothing too interesting about my story. Was in excellent shape pre-kids. Six-pack abs, lifted weights every day... Post-kids, I've gained 70 pounds and I didn't think I was fat until I saw photos of myself and realized I have increased five pant sizes! Whoo! Anyway, I bought an exercise bike that I can use outside, have been using up about 300 calories per day on the bike, and have reduced my calorie intake to 600- 800 per day. I've lost about 4-5 pounds in two weeks. My co-worker and I are going to start the HCG diet drops soon without the menu plan. Anyone have a comment on this? Neither one of us can stick to the HCG diet menu so we've agreed to do 500 calories per day with the drops.

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Sad to say you're going to get some really negative comments. The community here (at large) advocates a healthy calorie deficit and exercise for weight loss.

You might want to reconsider HCG - you can lose weight by tracking what you eat, lowing your calories to level that's sustainable (not under at least 1200/day) and exercising. It's free, it works, and you don't muck up your body in the process.

If you insist on going the HCG route, there are plenty of threads on the subject already - just use the search function.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm going to warn you...you will not get many positive responses about HCG. It's not a proven weight loss regimen, and people primarily are losing weight due to the extremely low calorie intake. The FDA has NOT approved it for weight loss. MFP's focus is on losing weight in a healthy manner (calories expended should be more than calories consumed, but not less than 1200). Most people here consider it to be an unhealthy way to lose weight.

I won't slam you for trying HCG, but I would caution you to research it on medically reliable websites (webMD, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc.). Most of the reputable medical sites caution against using the HCG diet. For long term success, they all say to make a lifestyle change (eat right, exercise, watch caloric intake, etc.). It's your choice, obviously, but there have been many success stories here from people just eating right and exercising. Seems like a safer way to me.

Good luck, and welcome to MFP!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Sad to say you're going to get some really negative comments. The community here (at large) advocates a healthy calorie deficit and exercise for healthy weight loss.
    Get your boxing gloves on :) Most of us around here aren't fond of fad or short cut diets.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<
    Is it too early for popcorn?
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have to advise you to not do the HCG diet. Those are hormones you're putting in your body that shouldn't be there except when you're pregnant. As a person who struggled with out of whack hormones for 8 years, I can tell you that adding/subtracting those sorts of things from your body can be pure hell. Also, by not eating a minimum of 1200 calories per day, your body will go into starvation mode which will make losing weight much more difficult.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<

Only if you don't mind me drinking wine. Scoot over.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Honestly, HCG turns people into crazys. I know a few people who did it and I couldn't be around them because I wanted to punch them for acting like psychos. That being said, your calorie deficit is insane and you are going to hurt your body. I would suggest eating more like 1400-1600+ calories and exercising. I wasn't losing weight here until I upped my calories from 1200 to about 1500 a day(I'm 5'2).

The HCG is really unhealthy and you really should look into a better way, rather than a quick fix where the weight will come back once you stop and go back to eating higher calorie amounts.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I am sooo not advocating for HCG.

That said, it is my understanding that the "point" of the HCG IS to follow the meal plan exactly. (Then again, one tends to lose weight with a very low calorie diet anyway.)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    how you got your shields up
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My understanding of HCG is ;
    -$1000 per month injections of hormones
    -500 calories per day.
    -30lbs per month expectations

None of those conditions are sustainable.
    500 calories is way too low, you will just gain the weight back.
    $1000 per month is crazy expensive.

Good luck, but if what I described is what you were considering, then you should try something else.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<

I am getting full on popcorn today.
  • Coffegirl120901
    Options
    Lots of good feedback! Thank you...
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone has already said.

Personally you should just chop a limb off, you will lose weight fast, and it will never come back.

Find a way of eating healthy, and exercise regularly that will be sustainable for the rest of your life, the weight will come off slowly but the chances of it coming back are VERY slim.
  • maxzoey
    Options
    hi, i am doing the hcg drops with a different meal plan (tracy anderson metamorphosis) and it is deffinitely helping me. I had my second baby 2 years ago and could not lose the weight, I tried bootcamps, i eat very clean (I have crohns and celiac diseases) I get tonnes of exercise chasing my 2 toddlers around, and my doctor said there is no reason i shouldnt be losing the baby weight i gained, neither of us can figure it out. I am frustrated of being overweight and unhealthy and having no energy so as my last resort and from advice from a friend I tried hcg drops. i buy my drops from a naturopathic doctor so i know they are legitimate and not expensive either. i lost 7 lbs in a week, have now hit a plateau because i am not yet exercising. Part of the tracy anderson method is daily exercise so i am about to get my exhausted but exercising daily, obviously that will help me shed the weight (or so I hope). i consulted my doctor about hcg and he said the restrictive calorie diet plays a huge role in success, so good luck! he said the diet is successful but the maintenance is where people fail to keep the weight off. However that being said i know of someone who lost 60 lbs using the hcg drops and diet plan, and she looks incredible and has kept the weight off. she now just eats healthy, gets daily exercise walking her dog and taking care of her kids, and she looks amazing. My advice is see your doctor or naturopath, try it if you are comfortable, but make a plan after your success with the hcg diet, maintenance is important and long term eating and weight maintenance will keep you happy! thats what i am doing. good luck and stay strong!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have several co-workers doing the HCG diet, and I've lost just as much weight as they have, despite it being over a bit longer time (maybe 2 months) It seems to be only a quick fix, and as soon as they go off the 500 calories/day the weight comes back, plus they are almost impossible to be around, with that low of calorie intake they are always hungry and cranky
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy throwing money away? Can you handle only eating 500 calories a day? Will you be really pissed if once the month is up, you gain every lost pound back? If no, no, yes, then you may reconsider giving that a try, in my opinion.

Personally, I cannot see paying that amount of money, eating ONLY 500 calories a day and I would be really upset if the weight immediately came back. But, that's just me. I've heard it called the Hungry Crazy Girl diet on a show I watched....
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<

I am getting full on popcorn today.

Just don't go over 500 cals or you'll get kicked off the HCG thread...
  • edmondskm
    Options
    My understanding of HCG is ;
    -$1000 per month injections of hormones

Seriously?
    Holy crap.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You might get a lot of hell in here for posting anything about HCG....just saying. My vote, don't do it!
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<

**wiggles between the 2 of you and props up feet**