injury or soreness? diagnosis please

Options
I ran a 10K last Sunday and I have been feeling pain in my ankle/calf area. it starts under the edge of the ankle on the outside of my right foot, and goes upp the outer edge of my calf, right behind the bone. I especially feel it when my foot is in a pointed position. it's only on the right side, so does this sound like an injury, or is it just leftover soreness from the race?

DH thinks it is hurting because my left hip was sore on race day, so I was "favoring" it. IDK about that, but maybe? I didn't consciously favor my sore left hip. ???

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10K last Sunday and I have been feeling pain in my ankle/calf area. it starts under the edge of the ankle on the outside of my right foot, and goes upp the outer edge of my calf, right behind the bone. I especially feel it when my foot is in a pointed position. it's only on the right side, so does this sound like an injury, or is it just leftover soreness from the race?

DH thinks it is hurting because my left hip was sore on race day, so I was "favoring" it. IDK about that, but maybe? I didn't consciously favor my sore left hip. ???
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You are problem just sore from running a 10k. Try Epsom Salt to see if it gets better and if it is not better within a week then I would go to the doctor just in case you pulled a muscle
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    all other soreness has faded but this is lingering.

have taken a warm bath every day and using aleve to reduce pain/inflammation
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    First, congratulations on the 10K! Now, is or was there any swelling, bruising or redness in the area? Is or was it warm to the touch? If so, then you have had a definite injury...it can't hurt to ice it down and take some ibuprofen. If it doesn't clear up, I'd definitely seek medical advice...best to you always, Rick
  • law2004
    law2004 Posts: 5
    Options
    good job on the 10K, try to put ice on it, the pain my last a few weeks, if its your first time. Take care
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Thanks!!!

no swelling, bruising, discoloration or heat to the touch. and I didn't feel like this until about Tuesday.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    this is my second race. I did a 5K on superbowl sunday and felt perfectly fine afterwards. (tired, sore, but no injuries)

this one had a section that was downhill at the end- could that be a factor?
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    this is my second race. I did a 5K on superbowl sunday and felt perfectly fine afterwards. (tired, sore, but no injuries)

this one had a section that was downhill at the end- could that be a factor?
    A downhill grade could definitely be a factor, more than likely, you suffered a strain to the tendon, wear a support, take it easy on it for a while, but if it increases in pain, or lingers, SEE A DOCTOR!!! Best to you always, Rick
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I had a similar really painful knot in my calf a while back. .. It was a low level sprain.

My doctor told me in order to distinguish between injury and soreness. . .use the (these are his exact words, btw. . ) "oh sh--- test". If the knot came on suddenly, you felt it instantly, and said something similar to "oh sh--". . .then it's most likely an injury. (I had. . . I was completely hobbled by a sudden pain in my calf. . .)

If you only noticed it after exertion, and it seems to be getting better after a few days. . .then it's a soreness/strain situation.

This sounds crazy, but if you have a rolling pin, use it to massage your calf. (you can also order something called "the stick" online that essentially does the same thing. Since calf tightness is a constant problem for me, I finally bought one.)

All that being said, if it doesn't fade in the next day or two, I say the doctor visit can't hurt.:flowerforyou: