P90x question

Options
Okay, right now I'm on day 7 of the 30 day shred. When I finish my boyfriend and I are going to jump right into p90x. I have not lost ANY weight in 6 weeks with cardio and 1200 calorie diet. I have not lost anything in this week of 30ds.

I only have 10-15 pounds to lose, but it is pure fat. (I'm 28% body fat at 120 pounds)

I know p90x will help me build muscle.. But will this help me with the weight loss? Or is it mostly toning? Or will losing be a by-product of toning and gaining muscle?

Anyone who has done p90x what were your results and would you recommend it? Thanks!!!

Edit:- sorry for all the questions thrown in there!

Replies

• adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I did P90X. If you follow the nutrition plan and do the workouts you will lose weight, but remember you are going to gain muscle too and muscle always weighs more than fat. What is your diet like right now?
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did three rounds of P90X and did not lose much weight, then again I didn't have a whole lot to lose. I think I lost 10 lbs.
    I then got pregnant so when I decided to lose the rest of my "baby fat" I chose to do Insanity and lost 25lbs. If your looking for weight loss I would recommend Insanity first.

Diana
  • MissJenova
    Options
    P90X is definitly going to build muscle for you. You will lose your fat, but will gain the weight in muscles instead. It's a fantastic program and will really give you the full package of what you want if you stick to it and work hard.
    I didn't lose much weight, but I did lose fat and I was sooo much stronger. I say you do the program and see where you are when it's done. 3 months isn't that long and you will be able to adjust your routine once you finish it if you still feel like you need to.
  • claudelljr
    claudelljr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and it will help you tone and lose weight. Make sure you do the right program for P90X. There is a program for toning, which is called the traditional plan and there is the lean program for weight loss and you will see a difference. Also, if you eat alot of carbs, chill out on that. Also running will help. I lost 40 pounds b/w mar-2011 and July-2011 form P90x and jogging/running.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    You can definitely loose weight with P90x. If you push yourself, and watch diet.

But you should be taking measurements - NOT just scale weight. I often loose inches, with no scale weight loss. Especially with P90x.

You may also find you will stop losing weight at 1200 calories, unless you eat back at least some of your exercise calories - especially with an intense plan like P90x. Your body needs calories to complete that type of program.

For me, I stopped losing weight at 1200/cal, and had to up my calories some, and increase my protein levels (1 gram per lb of lean body mass) or my weight loss halts.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    You have to build muscle to burn fat. It will tone you for sure, but it will also increase your metabolism because you will have more lean muscle.
  • gelmong32
    Options
    i am getting ready to start the p90x, my friends swear by it. and if you build more muscle you will burn more fat.

5074198.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend P90X. I'm doing the hybrid with Turbo Fire right now. Building muscle will help you burn more calories. Which schedule were you planning on following?
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So, you want to be 105 pounds? Can your body support that? If you step back, does that sound unrealistic for your body type?

I doubt you will lose any weight with P90X (I am on week 11 right now) because you probably dont need to lose weight. You definately will replace fat with muscle and may even gain weight, but that is because muscle weighs more than fat. P90X will tone you up and you lose inches (which in all reality is what you probably want).

Dont get caught up in what the scale says.
  • DoIt4Them
    DoIt4Them Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started P90X at 230 pounds and 44.4% body fat (102.2 pounds of crisco). At the end of 90 days (and not following the diet plan, but at least logging my food) I weighed 214 pounds and 41.9% body fat (only 89.7 pounds crisco). So, out of the 16 pounds I lost 12.5 of it was pure fat. I am starting another round (and will be following the meal plans better) and hope for similar if not better results. I am still fat (it's okay to say that), but I am physically stronger than I have ever been, "more durable, less vulnerable". I highly recommend P90X for anyone who is in adequate physical condition (no health problems aside from weight).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Do I have to follow their eating plan? I'm a vegetarian and have been my whole life. :)
  • tangal88
    Options
    no you donot have to follow their eating plan. I never have.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My doctor says for my body type (really small frame) I should be between 105-110 with about 14-16% body fat. ;(

So, you want to be 105 pounds? Can your body support that? If you step back, does that sound unrealistic for your body type?

I doubt you will lose any weight with P90X (I am on week 11 right now) because you probably dont need to lose weight. You definately will replace fat with muscle and may even gain weight, but that is because muscle weighs more than fat. P90X will tone you up and you lose inches (which in all reality is what you probably want).

Dont get caught up in what the scale says.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i gained weight, but lost bodyfat. However, i did 5 to 10 reps with heavy weight. If you lift 5 lbs to 10 lbs dont be shocked if it takes 2 or more rounds to lose. Lift like a guy and it works faster.
  • tangal88
    Options
    i gained weight, but lost bodyfat. However, i did 5 to 10 reps with heavy weight. If you lift 5 lbs to 10 lbs don't be shocked if it takes 2 or more rounds to lose. Lift like a guy and it works faster.

agreed!

I saw the most dramatic results, lifting heavy. This is when I started to see real inch loss, and curves, and tightness.