Boo-ya!!! First Half Marathon.......Best fight I've ever ha

Options
lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
Yesterday I completed my first half Marathon in 2 hrs 21 min. 37 sec. A WooHoo moment! My emotions had been running high all week, I was a bundle of nerves most of the week too! Thanks to some great support from wonderful friends here on MFP and at home I got the nerves under control and was able to enjoy Saturday and Sunday:)

I ran this race for Team In Training my honored teammate is a dear friend of mine Steve Cochrane. On a good day he feels like he has the flu, so I can't even i magine what a hard day feels like. Steve and his wife got their butts out of bed ay 4:00am on Sunday to come and Cheer me on. Steve wasn't feeling well:brokenheart: , so he stayed back in the hotel room and his wonderful wife took my kids to cheer me on.
During training I had been having ITBand challenges throughout my training, but have been strong the last 6 weeks, I was able to finish my long runs and not have any soreness. Yesterday, about 2.5 miles into the race someone cut me off mid-stride. When my left foot came down my ankle collapsed and pulled my ITBand. I immediately knew I was in trouble:ohwell: I thought ok push through hopeful as I run things will losen up and the pain will subside. At mile 3.5 I saw some friends and they lifted my spirits and distracted me with their cheers:) By 4.5 miles I had to take a walk break, but after walking for a minute the pain seemed better so I started running again. The pain started increasing steadily and at mile 7 I stopped, walked and put some performance pain reliever on. That carried me to about the 9 mile marked. At this point I felt like I had a knife in my knee it hurt to walk and it hurt to run. I stopped stretched and balled. Then I remembered Steve had drug his but out of bed at 4:00am that morning, he wasn't feeling well and I can't fathom the pain he faces on a dialy basis. I decided if I was running the race in his honor I should truly honor him, so I began to run, at mile 9.5 I saw his wife and my kids, by far the best moment of the race and exactly what I needed. I stopped for some quick hugs and was plenty inspired to finish the race. I walked two other times and then pushed through the last mile of the race, which btw was uphill, brutal, I saw two friends a 1/2 mile before the finish and I crossed the line upright and running:) Best fight I've ever had with myself!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Being a part of Team In Training was absolutley amazing. The dinner on Saturday night was incredible. I am so proud to say that my life will never be the same. The strength and the positive outlook that everyone at TNT has, changed me and will stay with me for all of my days! They are all an inspiration. Crossing the finish line was a great feeling, but sharing this experiece with wonderful teammates and truly amazing friends made this an experience of a life time!!! As a wise man once said, Boo-Ya!!! :flowerforyou:

If you don't run, but you have a friend that does, cheer them on, seeing a friendly face on the course really makes all the difference in how you feel.

So I definitely want to race again, hopefully my next race I'll see some fellow MFPers:bigsmile:

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    LOVE this race recap!! Congrats to you! Amazing finish time. SOOOO Proud of you!!!
  • drsteph01
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on your accomplishment!
  • hikerchick9
    Options
    great job....awesome accomplishment! way to break through and honor your friend. I want to run a half marathon and that story was truly inspiring.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! You rock!! Congrats on this accomplishment...

I just did my first 5k on 10/15, and hope to move up to a 10K, and then possibly a 1/2 marathon in the future...
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! You rock!! Congrats on this accomplishment...

I just did my first 5k on 10/15, and hope to move up to a 10K, and then possibly a 1/2 marathon in the future...

That's almost exactly how I did it! First race was a 7k, then a 10k and now the half! The 10k we ran we headed out of town and made a party of it with 4 other couples, we left the kids with thte grandparents:) Keep running, enjoy the accomplishments and have as much fun as possible!! You'll be telling us about your half before you know it:bigsmile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That brought a tear to my eye - how wonderful for you to find inspiration to keep going through your family and friends!! Congratulations!!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story and an awesome push! Good for you!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    so amazing! what a great accomplishment!! great job!!! :D
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well said!!! Sooo very true ;0).
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Great recap and congratulations on your great accomplishment. :flowerforyou:
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Way to go..!! Very touching story!! Congratulations!!!
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
    I'm running a half this weekend (my 3rd), and I'm going to remember your story if (when) I start whining about my pain/discomfort.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been so inconsistant on MFP but lately I've been back with a new determination. Anyway, I missed your familiar face on here so I thought I'd look to see what you've been up to... and WOW!!!! I actually started tearing up when reading this. You have alot to be proud of. You are AWESOME, LADY. :) You've come along way sign C25K and are such an inspiration to me.

Well, that's about it.... I just wanted to stop by and say hi.... and WOW!!!!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Good Job!!! Congratulations! Enjoy your accomplishment :)
  • erica714
    erica714 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Congratulations!!!

I just signed up for my first half marathon and I am wondering if I made a mistake. The furthest I have ever ran is 5 miles. The half marathon isn't until May, so I have plenty of time to train. Reading your post makes me feel so much better about trying to accomplish this journey. Thanks so much for sharing your experience :)
  • ann945n
    ann945n Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome and congrats!
  • ann945n
    ann945n Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
    Great Job! Congratulations!!!

I just signed up for my first half marathon and I am wondering if I made a mistake. The furthest I have ever ran is 5 miles. The half marathon isn't until May, so I have plenty of time to train. Reading your post makes me feel so much better about trying to accomplish this journey. Thanks so much for sharing your experience :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Could never do a marathon, great work though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!