Is 1300 really enough calories?

Options
My goal is set at 1290 calories per day. I actually average about 1350 net.

I lost 2 pounds in the first 2 weeks - haven't weighed in for the 3rd week yet. I don't feel hungry or deprived.

But, 1300 calories just sounds really low. Is it really healthy to eat this amount? Since I don't get hungry does that mean it's OK? (Keep in mind I mean NET calories.)

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It depends. On your weight, goals, diet, nutrition.
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    I know that a lot of persons will reply to this and since I'm not a nutritionist, I should leave it to them BUT....
    MFP recommends 1200 calories for me. When I eat correctly, it's more than enough as far as nutrients. Vegetables are wonderful and don't add up too quickly. Fruit is a great choice too.

I am always hungry but then I was born that way.

I think you're fine with those calories.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", currently 156 pounds, trying to lose 1 pound a week if possible, goal weight 140.
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about getting all your nutrients even with the best eating you can do on 1300, you could always take a multivitamin to supplement it.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For me personally I lose weight faster when I am eating 1500 than when I am eating 1200. Just listen to your body.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is only 1290....but I am short
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It's healthy as long as you are eating healthful foods. Plenty of veggies and fruits and make sure you're getting enough protein. I always go over on the MFP protein goal each day. I also have my personal food diary set to track my fiber and calcium goals - I like to make sure I always go over on protein, fiber, and calcium - I don't worry so much about carbs or fat - I'm usually under on fat but my carbs are all over the place. I'm just not that concerned with them. I'm 5'4", started at 165 lbs currently at 146 and still working to lose more, and MFP has me on the 1200 calorie plan (with more allowed when I exercise). It's really taught me to be more careful about my choices and make sure I get in enough nutrients so that I feel good during the day. Some people do feel like they do better when they eat a little more or a little less than MFP recommends though. So just try what you think might work for you, see how it works and then change it up if you feel you need to. Everyone is different.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i eat 1400 per day and it's working great for me, i'm losing more now than when i was on 1200/day. keep it up for a few weeks and tweak it if necessary. :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    cmriverside, thank you for those links. The BMR is what kind of has me thinking about it, though. It calculates mine at 1435. I do eat exercise calories but I don't do a lot of exercise right now so it's still a total of barely 1435, maybe less.