Unemployment Payments & Nonpaying Jobs

Options
So I was hoping that maybe someone here knows, otherwise I have to wait 2.5 hours on the phone with the unemployment office because they are that high call volume.

Lost my job, boss gave me a letter of reference and a promise she wouldn't fight my claim for unemployment insurance. I have been fishing for jobs, getting some bites but no catches.

One job I found recently is like an apartment desk attendant/manager type thing. They give you an apartment, and cover the utilities. You have to be in college with a good gpa which I am. Doesn't say how many hours. Since I am not getting paid money, would I still get my unemployment payments until I found a second job that did? It would be hard if this were a 40 hour a week thing, but I can't imagine that, because my unemployment helps pay for rent AND food AND gas. It would be like working for $5/hour.

Have you been unemployed and know firsthand or know how this works?

EDIT: if it is how I hope, this could be perfect. My lease ends Nov 27th... so if I got this it would cut out my major expenses. But I still need to eat, and pay for gas, and get another job. I just hope it isn't 40 hours so I have the option of getting two jobs, but in the MEANTIME, get unemployent insurance with this nonpaying job, so I can look for a good fitting 2nd job. So the question is whether taking a nonpaying job (i e no money) but that provides room and board (cafeteria closed during breaks) would jeapordize the unemployment I am getting.

Replies

• buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yes, you can make up to a certain amount of money all you have to do is claim it when you call in, they will deduct whatever they see fit.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how any of this works but I was under the impression that you can't get unemployment if you are a student or at least thats what I have seen happen to my friends.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    yes, you can make up to a certain amount of money all you have to do is claim it when you call in, they will deduct whatever they see fit.

The thing is I won't get a check will I? My free rent and cafeteria usage is of value. Do they deduct the value of the apartment?
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It depends on the state you're in. I'm in Oregon, and here, you can work a paying job and still recieve unemployment as long as your wages to not exceed the amount your claim is worth. I suggest going to your government website (for us it's Oregon.gov) and going to the unemployment section. That might give you some answers.
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    If you are not collecting a pay check you can continue to file and collect unemployment benefits. Glad to hear that you can get a free apartment and utilities!
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how any of this works but I was under the impression that you can't get unemployment if you are a student or at least thats what I have seen happen to my friends.

This is true in Oregon but ONLY if you're recieving financial aid. Otherwise, you can still get unemployment.
  • Romans624
    Options

You can't get it if you allow your school to jeopardize your search for jobs. You have to be willing to take any reasonable job similar to what you were doing... even if it means cutting your class.

This sucks if you already are past the drop deadline, however I chose to look for jobs that are normal business hours. My classes are nights. So I don't have to pick a retail job and apply for it, since that's not what I was doing. Because my full time job before allowed me to do classes nights, I have little worry that searching for jobs will jeopardize my school or vice versa. Its perfectly possible to find an 8-5 type job with my schedule, and unemployment accepts this.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The thing is I won't get a check will I? My free rent and cafeteria usage is of value. Do they deduct the value of the apartment?

Often, it depends on where you live. It can also affect your financial aid.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You are expected to job search 40 hours a week and not be a student unless you have special permission from unemployment insurance. The only way that will happen is if you are very close to finishing school and you need the degree to find work.

I should mention that I live in MN.
  • Romans624
    Options
    If you are not collecting a pay check you can continue to file and collect unemployment benefits. Glad to hear that you can get a free apartment and utilities!

That would be so awesome! It would help a lot. But we would have to find a temporary home for our kitty... like 6 or 7 months. Because I am pretty sure they won't let us keep him there. The shelter we got him from might hold him for a fee for a while. I feel really bad about that but I could REALLY use the break. Unemployment is not enough to live on... and its not meant to be.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the state you live in. I agree with whoever said to check the state government website, because you can probably find the information you need much faster than being on hold forever with your Dept. of Employment Services, or whatever it is called where you live.
  • Romans624
    Options
    You are expected to job search 40 hours a week and not be a student unless you have special permission from unemployment insurance. The only way that will happen is if you are very close to finishing school and you need the degree to find work.

I have my school approved by unemployment, and its in the evenings. Doesn't interfere with anything. My job requirements are to look for 5 jobs a week... that is very very low requriement and if I did just that it wouldnt' be 40 hours a week. But I take my job search seriously.
  • xxx29
    xxx29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Every state is different, so carefully read your unemployment comp rules.

In my state, if you work up to 39 hours, and your income is still less than your unemployment compensation, you get the difference. If you work 40 hours, no matter how much you make, you are not eligible for any compensation.

If you pass that test, you will have to meet all other qualifications to continue getting UC--e.g., putting in a certain number of job search activities a week.

Additionally, you may be asked to estimate the value of the apartment and utilities, and record it as income.
  • Romans624
    Options
    It all depends on the state you live in. I agree with whoever said to check the state government website, because you can probably find the information you need much faster than being on hold forever with your Dept. of Employment Services, or whatever it is called where you live.

Unfortunately their frequently asked questions section only addresses jobs that are paid with money, not other things (like perks like an apartment). They have no email that is actually responded to just a "feedback" form. There is also no address where I can stop by lol! I guess they don't want a mob outside their door every day. I will have to contact them at some point if I do land the job.
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa and when I recieved unemployment I was workin as a CNA makin pretty good money. All I had to do was claim my earnings weekly and they deducted the diff. So every week I got a paycheck from my employer and unemployment. I would say if u arent recievin any money there isnt any to claim. Also when I was gettin my unemployment I was doin childcare. I would report this but it never deducted any of that income. I would look online or wait the 2.5hours on the phone. I know it sucks but I would rather b safe then sorry. Heck if all works out u could recieve your unemployment, free housin, and a second job. U would b rakin in the cash. LOL
  • Romans624
    Options
    Every state is different, so carefully read your unemployment comp rules.

In my state, if you work up to 39 hours, and your income is still less than your unemployment compensation, you get the difference. If you work 40 hours, no matter how much you make, you are not eligible for any compensation.

If you pass that test, you will have to meet all other qualifications to continue getting UC--e.g., putting in a certain number of job search activities a week.

Additionally, you may be asked to estimate the value of the apartment and utilities, and record it as income.

I need to find my handbook just in case. It may address it in there. I was thinking that this might be the case. I live in Colorado.
  • Romans624
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas... I will get on the phone with them tomorrow if the phone call from the job goes well.
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    in Michigan where I am you can still collect if you are a student but it will be deducted, but I don't know how much.
  • LighterEachDay
    Options
    The California unemployment form that you have to send in every two weeks says something life, "Did you perform work during this time, whether you were paid or not?" So that could be sticky.