October Shredders - mini challenge 24th October

Options
Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed, I've not been very active on here over the last few days, my exercise has almost stopped :-( and as hubby is about to go away for 5 months, we had a mini Christmas this weekend, so I'm sure you can imagine the junk I've eaten!! So my challenge today is all about fruit and vegetables! (sorry if this one has already been done, I lost track of the mini challenges!)

So today's challenge is to eat the recommended amount of fruit and vegetables. Here in the UK it is recommended we eat 5 portions per day, I know other countries have different recommendations (I'd be interested to hear what they are)

Please remember that potatoes sadly don't count towards your 5-a-day and it might be worth googling what counts as a portion (one grape is sadly not one portion!) and also remember that the 5-a-day should be different types of fruit and veg so you get a variety of vitamins and minerals.

I know some may find this easier than others, this is quite a tough one for me today as the house is filled with Christmas treats!! But I need to refocus and eat my greens!!

Good luck everyone :-)

Replies

• KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good challenge...

To bad potatoes don't count. I was going to grab some fries. ;p
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! But, now you have to come up with another one for the 27th. lol
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lol Sorry everyone! I totally messed up with the challenges! And tried hogging someone else's day!! I think I need to get some sleep!! Hopefully if I start to eat fruit and veg my memory will improve!!
  • summergreen487
    summergreen487 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good to eat fruits and vegetables on the 27th as well. No need to come up with something new.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    So far....
    A serving of grapes
    A serving of hummus
    A serving of raw broccoli

We should also probably add that corn is not a veg, either. I was amused by the expressions on my kids' faces when they first learned that.
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We should also probably add that corn is not a veg, either. I was amused by the expressions on my kids' faces when they first learned that.

WHAT ?!?!?!?! Corn is NOT a veggie ?!?!?! That's BS. Humpht.

And for the record - since this is my TOM - chocolate IS a fruit since it comes from Cocoa, a fruit. And I DARE anyone to say differently today..... :grumble:
  • nixickle
    Options

WHAT ?!?!?!?! Corn is NOT a veggie ?!?!?! That's BS. Humpht.

And for the record - since this is my TOM - chocolate IS a fruit since it comes from Cocoa, a fruit. And I DARE anyone to say differently today..... :grumble:

It's a double veg as it has milk in and cows eat grass, grass is green therefore gotta be good for you right? You could have triple whammy if you make it a fruit and nut ;-)
  • nixickle
    Options
    We count corn as one of your five a day in the UK, funny how different countries have different things, in Australia its recommended to eat 7 a day! And in Japan I think it's WAY more than that!
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    Corn is counted as a grain here in the US.

As for chocolate, I've been petitioning for DECADES that it be considered its own foodgroup!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: I also think it should be used as currency and fuel. I should be able to pay my bills and fill my car with chocolate. It's just that deep.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    After searching online, this is what I found.

The United States Department of Agriculture sets a serving size for fruit or vegetables to be equal to about one-half cup. Greens like spinach and lettuce have a serving size equal to one full cup. One serving of sliced fruit is equal to one-half cup; however a single piece of fruit, such as an apple or an orange counts as one serving

Here are some typical serving sizes for fruits and vegetables:

Fruits

one banana
    six strawberries
    two plums
    fifteen grapes
    one apple
    one peach
    one-half cup of orange or other fruit juice

Vegetables

five broccoli florets
    ten baby carrots