accents?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an accent. Even people who speak with a "standard" accent have an accent.

Mine changes depending on whom I'm talking to. With my parents and relatives, I have a pretty strong West Virginian accent. With my friends here in Nebraska, I start to adopt the Midwestern accent. At home with my husband and kids, I tend to speak with a standard accent. I have no idea why I switch like that, but it's uncontrollable.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like a true accent from many different areas, but I absolutely HATE when someone tries to imitate an accent. Especially a proper Southern Drawl, sounds terrible when someone tries to mimic it, as in poorly trained actors.

I agree about the imitation of the southern drawl! haha its so funny sometimes to hear people talk like that they will really over shoot it and sound corny haha. Or like when people try to talk like your from TX but no one actually sounds that harsh 0_0
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I moved to Houston about 4 years ago expecting to hear nothing but Southern drawls...however most folk I have met here are from up north too. One lady that works in the office with me is a true Texan & the accent to boot. However, my accent remains northern. Most folk think I'm from Boston or NY.

I would probably have to agree with the Australian accent is the best! But a French accent is super sexy...ijs

So here I was, lurking the boards like I do, and had to do a double take. It startled me...seeing your photo. We look similar! I know I'm looking down in my photo, so I know our faces are different, but wow.
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am from that East Texas region, and I have a bit of a southern accent. It really comes out when I am frustrated, but for the most part I had to learn to control it in college when I was presenting and such.

And from personal experience Russian and Scottish accents beat any other accent all day long!!! THose accents are what you call a panty dropper! :blushing:
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am from North Carolina and I am fine with my Southern accent. Its not Country but Southern (there is a difference!)
  • DannyA0130
    DannyA0130 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm From Northern California, not much of an accent here. My Fiancee Is From Cork Ireland, she has a very nice accent. especially when she gets mad at me. I can't take her serious.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Add me to the Canadian list =) Not everyone in Canada sounds the same, either, though so it's hard to simply say that we have "Canadian" accents. For example, my boss who is from Eastern Canada says that I have an accent and I'm from Western Canada. Although I don't think he has one. Weird.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm from Western NY, from a small town about 45 minutes from Niagara Falls. I never thought I had an accent until I moved down here to Virginia. Now I have people asking me if I'm from Canada. Apparently I sound slightly Canadian? (for the poster above, that'd be a Toronto/Southern Ontario-ish version of Canadian :laugh: )

I have been told, while traveling abroad, or speaking with foreigners here, that I'm one of the easiest to understand Americans they've ever spoken to.

My favorites to listen to are Aussie, NZ, and South African :heart:

Holy crap I can't type today
  • madsxx
    madsxx Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm an aussie! didnt think anyone thought our accents were good! haha
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I hate my accent.

South Wales :sick:
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    Hmm.. My accent is messed up .. I was brought up in Europe ( Malta ) where Maltese is spoken but English is a second language so I was taught queens grammar ...however 20 years ago I moved to Australia...my accent now sounds Australian .. But I get a lot of ." you sound different .. Where you from ?"
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Southern. Comes out when I am excited or pissed off. Otherwise, not really.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an accent. I grew up in the south but I have more of a "standard American" accent.

My husband says I have a southern accent when I am on the phone with my grandmother, but I'm sure he's lying.
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Virginia all my life. I think I have a southern accent but not a "heavy" one. I am often asked where I'm from because I don't sound like I'm from the south. Have even been asked if I'm from NY (clearly by people who have never spoken with or listened to a New Yorker LOL).
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a Russian accent. I used to hate it, but after getting so many compliments on it I just accepted it and learned to like it. Even today in class one of the girls told I have the cutest accent and she can listen to me talk whole class.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: accents!
    my faves:
    boston
    new york
    anything up east
    scottish/irish
    english