Replacing Carbs

Options
Hello all, what are some meals of foods that are good carb substitutes?

I am native born Ghanaian. Our diets are rich in starch with rice, casava, yams, etc.

I'm looking for foods that I can eat in place of the starch and carbs.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi..

I'm currently on a high protein, low carb diet. There are lots of ways to reduce carbs. There are products made by Walden Farms (salad dressing, sauces, etc.) that are 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat. An easy way to reduce. Try to eliminate sugary foods (like deserts). You can always eat sugar substitute things like jello. A good was to replace rice is with cauliflower cooked and then put through a ricer. Great for a bed with stir fry on top.

Good luck!
  • loo0ser
    Options
    there are tonnes! firstly you should check out http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html for AMAZinG low carb recipes,

grated cauliflower makes a good rice substitute, you can mash cauliflower too for a mashed potato sub! courgette thinly sliced can be used instead of pasta, and if you can get hold of shiritaki noodles, they have virtually no cals or carbs as they're made of a soluable fibre, they make great noodle subs.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is courgette?
  • bondigirl
    Options
    they are zuccinis .:happy:
  • bondigirl
    Options
    they are zuccinis .:happy:
  • Poupet
    Poupet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get the whole carb thing, and I've tried it myself without success. When you start eating carbs again (and you will), the weight comes right back. The beauty of my fitness pal for me is that you can pretty much eat whatever you want within moderation. So have your rice, just half a cup, and load up with vegetables and lean protein!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get the whole carb thing, and I've tried it myself without success. When you start eating carbs again (and you will), the weight comes right back. The beauty of my fitness pal for me is that you can pretty much eat whatever you want within moderation. So have your rice, just half a cup, and load up with vegetables and lean protein!

Began at 20 net carbs 7 yrs ago. Worked my way up the carb ladder (meaning whole grains and good carbs) and I'm now at 130 to 150 grms a day and I am still happily losing. 8 lbs to goal. So if you do it right....which means you never ever ever go back to eating tons of white processed carbs you will not gain it back. Only the people who don't work the phases (there are 3 to 4 depending on plan) are the ones who gain it back. Because not one low carb plan out there tells you to go back to eating what you ate to get fat. Not one.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Cauliflower is an awesome potato substitute - fauxtatoes for example: boil a bunch of cauliflower florets, mash them by hand or throw them in a food processor, then add butter and cream cheese or milk or cream, and salt. It tastes a lot like mashed potatoes! Cauliflower can also be riced by blending in a food processor til chunky or grating on a cheese grater, then microwaved without water for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.

OP didn't necessarily say they wanted to go low carb, just reduce the number of carbs they were consuming total. But just changes like replacing a root vegetable for a leafy green at a meal, or eating more meat and less pasta or rice can really cut down on your carb intake.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    what kind of low carbs are you eating. i also am not doing so great a job in the carb department even though i am losing weight.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Began at 20 net carbs 7 yrs ago. Worked my way up the carb ladder (meaning whole grains and good carbs) and I'm now at 130 to 150 grms a day and I am still happily losing. 8 lbs to goal. So if you do it right....which means you never ever ever go back to eating tons of white processed carbs you will not gain it back. Only the people who don't work the phases (there are 3 to 4 depending on plan) are the ones who gain it back. Because not one low carb plan out there tells you to go back to eating what you ate to get fat. Not one.
  • Callaway84
    Options
    If you guys don't mind, what are some examples of good carbs? I also was under the impression that no carbs is good but MFP tells me to have about 300 g of carbs which confused me. I want to lose weight, obviously, but I don't want it to kick me in the butt later on, you know? I'm really new at all this and I know wheat bread is good, or better than white, but what are other foods that contain good carbs?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you guys don't mind, what are some examples of good carbs? I also was under the impression that no carbs is good but MFP tells me to have about 300 g of carbs which confused me. I want to lose weight, obviously, but I don't want it to kick me in the butt later on, you know? I'm really new at all this and I know wheat bread is good, or better than white, but what are other foods that contain good carbs?

The less processed it is, generally the better it is for you. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta and breads, oats, bran, and the like. It's also a good idea to read ingredients, especially on bread products, instead of just trusting labels. Look for things made with 100% whole wheat flour, and avoid enriched or processed. Popcorn is actually a whole grain and good for you without all the butter and salt we tend to pour on it. =) Good luck! Once I switched to whole grains, I fell in LOVE and have never gone back to the processed stuff. I eat brown rice almost every day.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Carbs are a must...they keep you full longer and give you brain power! They also keep you happy....for real, they do! And just like others mentioned you WILL eat carbs again! The key is EVERYTHING in moderation. Good Carbs are whole grain pastas and breads, and fruits and veggies! Bad carbs are your sugary food carbs.
    If you want some other "carb" tips I am reading a book called the: Carb-Lover's Diet by Ellen Kunes, Editor in Chief, and Frances Largeman-Roth, RD, of Health Magazine.

Needles to say I am a carb lover and was concerned about how much carbs I eat......YES, I eat pasta at LEAST once a week and have still lost weight! I LOVE pasta especially home-made pasta!

So, eat your carbs, be happy but make GOOD carb choices! :smile:
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to take one starch or bread a day and substitute as much lettuce and veggies as I wanted for one meal a day. I lost 3lbs that week... It's hard for me because I'm not a big veggie eater, but it works.
  • Callaway84
    Options

The less processed it is, generally the better it is for you. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta and breads, oats, bran, and the like. It's also a good idea to read ingredients, especially on bread products, instead of just trusting labels. Look for things made with 100% whole wheat flour, and avoid enriched or processed. Popcorn is actually a whole grain and good for you without all the butter and salt we tend to pour on it. =) Good luck! Once I switched to whole grains, I fell in LOVE and have never gone back to the processed stuff. I eat brown rice almost every day.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated! :-)