I need lower calorie breakfast options! Help!

Options
Hi, well today I entered the data for my breakfast: plain oatmeal with dried cranberries, walnuts and an apple, plus my cup of coffee with 2% milk and I was close to 600 calories! My bowl was not even that big so I thought wow, I need to figure out some options that help energize me for a run/hike or workout most mornings but not so many calories that I spend my workout working it off. I am guessing between 300-400 calories most mornings is reasonable.

Replies

• maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have Greek yogurt with granola and chocolate chips at around 300 calories.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    A portion controlled pot of porridge (If you're in the UK, Tescos is around 170 cals a pot) and a huge salad sarnie on brown or use Warburtons thins..don't fill you for as long, but still feels like a hearty meal for just 100 calories each (plus filling) :) Sets me up for a 8+ hour day on the mountains :)
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a new breakfast since sunday and i'm really liking it. one boiled egg, one nutrigrain bar, and one cup of yoplait yogurt.. its nothing fancy or organic or whatever, but it keeps me full and energized! :) only around 300 cal
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    It took me a while but the short answer is to use substitutes for everything.
    I substitute egg whites for whole eggs, 1% milk for whole milk, low cal whole wheat bread for white bread, skinny cow cheese wedges for regular slices of cheese, I can't believe it's not butter for regular spread and tropicana 50 for regular orange juice.
    All of that was only 255 calories this morning.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Drop the dried cranberries and go for a fresh or frozen fruit (like blueberries). When you add nuts to anything you'll see a spike in calories, you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. Also, go with fruit on your oats or eat the apple (or cut up the apple and put it on your oats) not both, you're getting a lot of fiber that way, but a ton of sugar too.
  • ashleyxnicole89
    ashleyxnicole89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This may sound unhealthy but it's under 300 calories and it fills me up! I use one slice of bread, usually potato because it's my favorite. a slice of 2% sharp cheddar kraft singles. 1 piece of bacon/turkey bacon/ or one sausage patty/ link. then a fried egg on top. I'm a sucker for the yolk. I usually eat around 830-9 and don't get to eat again untill 2-4 because of my job and this def does the job for me!
  • CAH1968
    CAH1968 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Smoothies!!!!! No dairy. Use water or coconut water. Frozen berries and bananas (can be frozen) really are enough sweetener. Try different recipes. Add flax seed too if you can. (Or chia seeds). They are addicting and filling.
  • my oatmeal for breakfast is right around 400 and i have 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup wheat bran, either 3 egg whites OR 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds or flax, tons of cinnamon and a little unsweetened almond milk and water. Then I add a small banana and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. I have skim milk in my coffee with splenda and this breakfast holds me over til my lunch anywhere from 1 to 3 PM! If I dont do oatmeal I do a smoothie-in-a-bowl which is 1 cup frozen spinach, 1 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 cup frozen berries and chia seeds blended together then dumped in a bowl (its thick!) and topped with 1/4 cup fiber 1 original cereal and a scoop of peanut butter. Sounds weird but its SO good and gives you a ton of energy!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like egg whites with some fat free cheese cooked and wrapped in some whole wheat tortillas. Two of them plus my black coffee and 1/2 cup of red seedless grapes are only 234 calories. I also drink 20 ounces of water in the mornings.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I will have a packet of oatmeal and that usually is around 100-150 calories depending on the flavor, type etc. If that is not enough food to start your day - maybe add toast or a hard boiled egg?
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know... Oatmeal can get tricky, but it holds me over for such a long time, I can't go without it! This is what I had for breakfast...

1/2 cup of oatmeal (cooked in a cup of water)
    2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
    1 cup of stawberry halves
    coffee (black)

That was 389 calories

I used to use cream in my coffee, but the calories weren't worth it to me, so I went black. I used to HATE black coffee, but now I love it... just takes some getting used to!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I like to have an egg white omelet - 3-4 egg whites & add in some veggies, and either a smoothie made with greek yogurt, or a container of greek yogurt with plain dry oatmeal or chia seeds mixed in.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have oatmeal with milk for breakfast. I have it plain though with 2 pills of sweetners to give it a bit of sweet taste. Mine comes up to 250 cals though. Interesting...
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My breakfast today:
    Thomas - English Muffins - Multi-Grain Light 1/3 Daily Fiber (3 Points), 1 muffin (57 grams) 100 calories
    Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter , 1 Tbsp. (32g) 95 calories
    Smuckers - Strawberry Preserves, 1 Tbsp 50 calories
    Total: 245 calories

Takes about 5 minutes to make (damn you, toaster! Toast faster!) and does a pretty good job of keeping me feeling full until morning snack.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    See I'm thinking the opposite, I want a good portion of my calories to go on breakfast, and then a little less on lunch and then less again at tea time, this is because I find my metabolism runs faster in the morning, and therefore I'd would rather consume more calories AM than PM to allow my body to process them better, as its known that metabolism slows down the closer you get to bed time.

I also try to eat my Carbs AM time and then more protein towards PM....... However not sure how good this idea is but its what Im current going to try out and see :-D

Therefore I don't think 600 cals on breakfast is to much if your eating about 1500 a day it leaves a good 500 lunch and 400 dinner..... which on high protein, low carbs is pretty easy. Chicken breast and plenty of Veg :-D
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    1/2 an english muffin, 2 tsp butter substitute, 1 tsp grape jelly, 1 medium egg, 1 slice precooked hormel bacon, a slice of homemade toast, and a cup of coffee with ff coffeemate, 318 calories:

Screenshot2011-10-25at92236AM.png
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    most mornings I have once slice of wholemeal toast with once scrambled egg on top. around 200cals depending on the bread you have
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    plain brain flakes with fat free organic milk and a cup of trop50 orange juice, then a cup of hot green tea = 185 calories
    That was my breakfast today, as on most days. :) Keeps me full until lunch.
  • kmchi
    kmchi Posts: 3
    Options
    I work a desk job, so I don't burn much off during the day. I start off with either a Kashi cereal bar (maybe 110-130 cal) or Nature Valley granol bars. 1 package (2 bars) is around 180. Plus coffee!! I wait til I'm at work and eat at my desk, so the gap between breakfast and lunch is a little shorter.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My 2 breakfast options:

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 apple
    1/2 tbsp nut butter
    splenda or stevia
    ~270 cals

2 eggs scrambled with just enough oil to coat the pan (1/2 tsp)
    1 slice of wholegrain bread
    1 slice ham
    ~240 cals