Ladies, blowdrying hair all the time question

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Dry Shampoo. Never used it but heard great things about it.

Or get a good heat protective spray - personally I'd rather just leave it to dry naturally if your at home anyway (unless your in a rush to go somewhere) I always leave mine to dry naturally unless I have to be somewhere quickly.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great suggestions. I had heard about the dry shampoo, must check it out.

As I said previous, I'd prefer to let it dry naturally but seeing as I'm heading to bed within 30mins of getting home and I don't like going to bed with wet hair, I have to dry it.

My hair is greasy and I always let it go really greasy when I can as this is good for it. I might not wash it tonight, I know that is a little bit manky but I am going to spin tomorrow and will defo wash it then. I can just catch it up in work tomorrow anyway.

thansk again :-)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am a hair stylist: be careful with dry shampoo...if you have oily hair and scalp it can clump and be difficult to get out, plus dry shampoo will not take away the "dirty hair smell". ...also, blow dry on a medium heat setting, not hot and keep the dryer moving. Also just dry your roots and not the ends. Use a good shampoo and conditioner. Your hair also might be getting dry from dietary changes you have made. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin...

If you have an oily scalp and sweat during workouts, I wouldn't recommend skipping washing it.....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dry shampoo.. I use suave and it really works well.

I have really think curly hair and I blow dry mine straight and flat iron.. and since that whole routine takes an hour and a half, theres no way I'm doing that everyday. So I wash my hair once every 3 days and seems to work out fine.. I'll shower everyday, but the hair not so much.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I am a hair stylist: be careful with dry shampoo...if you have oily hair and scalp it can clump and be difficult to get out, plus dry shampoo will not take away the "dirty hair smell". ...also, blow dry on a medium heat setting, not hot and keep the dryer moving. Also just dry your roots and not the ends. Use a good shampoo and conditioner. Your hair also might be getting dry from dietary changes you have made. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin...

If you have an oily scalp and sweat during workouts, I wouldn't recommend skipping washing it.....

Yeah I was literally just asking the girls in work with me about dry shampoo and they said the same thing. I'd never heard of it before!

They suggested not using shampoo to wash it say tonight, just rinsing it in water. Using more treatments like oils etc to give it a bit of TLC. So I might just rinse it tonight in water, try your tips about the hair drier and see how I get on. Don't want to lose my lovely silky hair!
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    I ran into the same problem. I use Aussie 3 minute miracle to moisturize the tips - it works! I also use Aussie Hair Insurance and the Aussie Heat Protective Spray.

I'm using the medium heat setting for blow drying and I let it air-dry and to an updo whenever I can to reduce the amount of heat damage.

I often work out twice a day and there's no way I'm gonna wash my hair twice a day. I skip every other day.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I teach and practice Bikram Yoga (yoga in a 105 degree room) 3-4 times a week, so I'm drenched every time I'm out of there. I don't wash my hair everyday because I already have dry & damaged hair. I use dry shampoo and blow dry it but with cool hair. Or if I do wash it, I glob on regular conditioner ( only from the mid shaft of the hair to the ends)with a shower cap or silk scarf, leave it on for the night then rinse in the morning. I also use a DYI hair mask on a free day like a weekend...all day or all night (avocado with coconut oil or olive oil ) and only on the mid shaft and ends of hair :)
  • msterlitz
    Options
    I use dry shampoo. It works really great.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use the cheap-o alternative to dry shampoo - talcum powder. It works just as well, its cheaper, and it smells nice.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day - but I rinse it daily. It's also possible that if you're using a leave in conditioner and THEN drying your hair that you're frying your hair. Some hair products are simply not heat - safe and will actually kind of melt to your hair like glue and make it brittle.

First - go get a trim and get any dead ends taken off... that'll keep the damage from spreading up. Then be sure that you're not using the highest heat setting on your hair dryer... particularly on your ends. Use only a cool setting on your ends. I also recommend getting a swimmers towel for your hair. It's kind of like a shammy that you would use on a car. It pulls a lot of the moisture out of your hair. The dryer you can get your hair BEFORE you start drying it - the less heat you have to apply to it. Use the swimmers towel to blot your hair dry as much as possible.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have all the same problems. I've started using Kerastase products, and they work fantastic! Also, on days you don't wash your hair, try "After Party" by Bed Head.
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Aussie 3 minute miracle frizz remedy is brilliant for dry ends. Leave it on now and then for a good half an hour for a deeper treatment. Also a serum applied to the ends of your hair just before drying will help protect them a bit and give a smoother finish. The Frizz Ease one is great. I know you don't have frizzy hair btw but I've found that anything that's branded as being aimed at frizzy hair is really good for dry, heat damaged ends. I have the same problem with mine sometimes. I need to lay off the hair straighteners! Both these things have helped a lot though.

There are certain foods that'll help your hair health too. Almonds, avacados, lots of protein etc.

Finishing your hair wash with a really cold rinse gives a bit of extra protection from the heat when you do dry it. Although that takes some willpower now the weather's gone colder. Brr!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Use a heat protective spray before you blowdry :)

This. There's also dry shampoo. Also, use a higher quality shampoo, and get a trim every 8 weeks.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I have all the same problems. I've started using Kerastase products, and they work fantastic! Also, on days you don't wash your hair, try "After Party" by Bed Head.

kerastase is expensive, but worth it. (i'm a hair junkie). using crap like suave is awful for your hair.
  • Tardis17
    Options

kerastase is expensive, but worth it. (i'm a hair junkie). using crap like suave is awful for your hair.

I keep hearing good things about this brand. Going to have to try it out. Hopefully there's somewhere online that sells it as I don't think our supermarkets or chemists stock it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues with this lately too. I envy those who can get away with dry shampoo, or not washing every time, but for me, I sweat out my head a lot (yeah, gross, I know!), and don't have much choice. I use shampoo every other day, and the alternate days, I just try to rinse it well and condition.

If you're sweating a lot from your scalp...there's a good chance its the sweat (as much as the blow-dryer) that's causing your hair to dry out so much too...

Went for a haircut the other day and was complaining about this. My stylist told me to always use a dab of oil on wet hair and work it through to the ends before drying. I'm also using John Freida "Full Repair" shampoo and conditioner on gym days (not very expensive), and occasionally, a L'Oreal leave-in "overnight" conditioner. These are all helping...

Good luck!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can find a spray that's meant for protecting while blowdrying. Also, try changing shampoo and conditioners because those may not be mixing too well with your blow dryer. I use Pantene Pro V and it works just fine. I also use Kenra blowdry protection spray, although it's quite pricey for a small bottle. I use to use Bed Head heat protector and it works good!
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a hairdresser and let me just say that i totally understand where you are coming from... however, it isnt good to wash your hair everyday even when using good products.... BUT it is important to use good products if you are going to wash it everyday. Alot of people think its ridiculous to spend the money on professional products but there is a reason for it... they dont use are ingredients... what i can suggest is not washing your hair everyday. i only wash my hair 2 times a week and i exercise everyday. put your hair in a towel or up in a ponyon top of your head and when done use the blowdryer to dry it out... since its your scalp that is sweaty not your hair ends - there will be no damage... also a dry shampoo works well or have you ever done babypowder??? alot cheaper than dry shampoo:)
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, except I have to wash my hair everyday, if not twice a day. My hair is super thick and after my runs, i don't have a dry hair left on my head, so 'not washing' is not an option. During the warmer months I don't have to blow dry if I don't have to go to work or in the evenings, but now that it is cold, I have to blow dry no matter what. I agree with the 3 min miracle solution and quite often I will leave conditioner on the end of my hair. I can definitely tell when I need a trim for sure!
    Good Luck!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Can you sleep on a towel over your pillow to let it dry naturally? I do this sometimes, especially if I am swimming alot, my hair really hates the swimming pool, extra washing and then drying. So I leave it down and sleep with my head on a towel or put it in a bun like someone else does on here!?