"Obsessed" with working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• akilianamalia
    akilianamalia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if you have the energy to get up that early because you're well rested, then why is that crazy!? i think that's awesome! good for you.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have heard that "obsession" is a lazy person's word for dedication :). We do what we have to do. I was getting up super early, but I was so tired that I wasn't really getting an effective workout. Now I work out in the evenings.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I also have to be at work by 7:00 and I know that if I wait until I get home I'm less likely to actually do my workout so I get up between 4:00 and 4:30 and workout until 5:30 when it's time to get the wife and kids up to get ready to go. For me it's a great way to start the day. I have more energy than I did before and I sleep a whole lot better at night after having been up so long and having worked out. When the weather is cooler I like to walk on my lunch hour also.
  • ilissecrets
    Options
    I get up at 5am!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    No, not obsessed....DEDICATED! :flowerforyou:
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is what the weak call the dedicated.

I am up at 4:30 every morning to work out. I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Anyone get up super early to go workout? I'm a teacher, and I'm at work by 7. It takes me 36 minutes to drive to work. 45 min to shower/get ready. So even with showering at the gym, I'd have to be up at 4:30 or 4:45 to get a good workout in. Is this nuts? Does anyone else get up this early? I want to start doing this on days I can't go in the evening, but someone recently made a comment to me that I was "obsessed" with working out. Does this make me nuts?

I also get up at 5 a.m. in order to exercise. That way I can get in an hour of exercise and not miss spending time with my family in the evening. Do what works for you.
  • DMBMommy29
    DMBMommy29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You know, its funny....I just recently lost almost 40lbs since mid-June due to lifestyle change which includes a healthy diet with MFP and working out. Working out ALOT. I am at the gym every night. I do cardio M-W-sat and weight training Tues-Thurs-Fri (due to class schedules). I only do Zumba and Racquetball for cardio and Kettlebell & Bodysculpt classes for weights. I enoy all IMMENSELEY.

Moreover, the nights I am at the gym I'm only there for about an hour on average and it affords me some "quiet" time away from my 3.5 year old and 15 month old sons who are both QUITE active. As a stay at home mom cant even tell you how AWESOME it is to see friends at the gym (its a private gym so the people there are close) and have some time to myself during the day. Aside from the fact that Ive lost weight, my blood pressure is normal for the first time since having my second son, and my cholesterol went down 30 points.

All sounds nice right? Well if you can believe it I've actually had a couple of friends tell me i'm "obsessed" with the gym. It gets to the point with one friend where I dont even want to TALK about my success lately because she scolds me constantly. I made a remark that I was happy with how my body was looking but need to work on my stomach because I still have that tell-tale Mommy pooch. Shes like "well youre never going to be PERFECT ya know." I know that I feel good, and am healthier because of the changes Ive made but cant understand why people have to automatically assume that the choices I make are an obsession? EVERYONE should work out if not every day for a short time then every other day for their own health benefits. I do take days off if I am sore and usually dont work out on Sundays but I ENJOY it and it frustrates the crap out of me when I come across unsupportive individuals.

From now on, only positive people in my life who support me. I'm not at the gym 8 hours a day, I'm not on a severe diet. I've lost an average of 2lbs a week or so and I'm doing it the healthy way. If they cant deal with it thats THEIR problem not mine. Stay the course and ignore the haters!
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    I'm obsessed with workout out but i don't get up that early to do it haha
  • Misk813
    Misk813 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Obsessed? No. Motivated? Very.

I also teach and I'm definitely NOT a morning person. I choose to work out after school (and my shift at job#2) which tends to be a hassle after a long day. I wish I could find the motivation to train myself to get up early and get it over with.

(Any tips??)

I say, if you're willing to get up and do the workouts that early, DO IT. My mum gets up at 3:45 to be able to do her 45 minutes workout routine before she goes in for work (she starts at 6 am) because she KNOWS she won't do it once she gets home. Everyone is different. The only person you need to worry about is you. If people can't understand it, then that's not your problem.

It's not an obsession. It's practical (necessary?) for your career/lifestyle.