abs

Options
2»

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    what are the best exercises for burning ab fat? looking for easy not long and time consuming exercises

I've heard doing barbell curls the correct way can stimulate the rectus abdominus so it actually burns the fat off. It's really easy and not time consuming at all. Give it a shot.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, so eat at a caloric deficit and do some cardio and your abs will show once you BF% is low enough.

^^^THIS.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/374719-abs-are-made?hl=abs+are+made
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Do hip thrust on your bed. Usually get a better workout if you have a female provide a little bit of resistance. Plus it is the funnest ab routine EVER!!!!
  • khua0808
    Options
    I encounter this problem too... Body fat loss of 1-2 % is really unoticeable, such as from 25-22% or 18-16% but after looking at old pics of 25% I finally realized that theres such a big change... but on a daily or even weekly basis its hard to notice differences... but they are there
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    lots of crunches and strength training, cardio won't hit the abs, but it will help reduce body fat and eat foods that will boost your metabolism. You could do 3 sets of crunches at 12-15 at a time every night or morning, after 2 weeks the pain will start to subside and you'll notice a difference in your abs. Also, push ups are good for targeting as well as yoga... :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lots of crunches and strength training, cardio won't hit the abs, but it will help reduce body fat and eat foods that will boost your metabolism. You could do 3 sets of crunches at 12-15 at a time every night or morning, after 2 weeks the pain will start to subside and you'll notice a difference in your abs. Also, push ups are good for targeting as well as yoga... :)

you can't spot reduce and seeing as your abdominals are muscles, it's best to train them like muscles, meaning not every day and using weighted exercises. Assuming you chose to do some direct ab work
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Uh no. Wrong.

You shouldn't be working your abs everyday first of all. They are a muscle and need time to rest and repair like all your others.

And cardio certainly helps. It helps get rid of the fat around the area which is the whole problem to begin with.

You can do 2000 crunches a day and it won't matter unless your diet is in check.
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    everyone has already answered your question correctly....that you can't spot reduce and that any amount of ab exercises will not burn belly fat.

however, I wanted to chime in that there still is some merit to doing some ab exercises to improve your core strength. there are benefits to this, even if they are not so obvious under the layer(s) of fat. anyway, one of the best core strengthening exercises is the plank. In addition to the plank, I like to do a plank with a toe tap...while you're in the plank, extend one leg to your side as much as possible, tapping your toes, and returning to the start position. repeat for the other side. the stability ball roll-out is another good core strengthening exercise.

100% agree with this thought. Core exercises are great.

Squats and deads! Go go go

While diet is 90% of seeing any muscularity (I haven't had a six pack since I was a kid but I'm fairly educated) core exercises will help your definition show sooner. Think of it as working the problem from both ends removing fat from the front and adding muscle from the back.
  • silent1988
    Options
    how much of a calorie deficit i need to drop body fat
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    how much of a calorie deficit i need to drop body fat

That depends. Mfp alread has one built in for you.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do hip thrust on your bed. Usually get a better workout if you have a female provide a little bit of resistance. Plus it is the funnest ab routine EVER!!!!

HAHAHA
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym,
    [/quote

the hubs suggested that i start doing sit-ups in the kitchen instead of the living room, thinking i'll get better results. :laugh:
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    okay then what are the best ways to lower body fat quicker? i have been eating better and staying below my calorie intake but it doesnt seem to be working very well
    run run run! Or do the elliptical. Sprints!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Uh no. Wrong.

You shouldn't be working your abs everyday first of all. They are a muscle and need time to rest and repair like all your others.

And cardio certainly helps. It helps get rid of the fat around the area which is the whole problem to begin with.

You can do 2000 crunches a day and it won't matter unless your diet is in check.

What she said. Seriously. I do a ton of crunches and push ups every other or every few nights, but not generally on nights I've already done a full workout. Oh, and I eat relatively decent. If I didn't clean up my diary, I would not have these abs, even if I did a zillion crunches a night.

As she pointed out, the abs are muscles, too, so just like upper body and lower body, you take a day of rest for those muscles, so remember to take a day of rest for your abs, too.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/375476-losing-belly-fat-ugh

It will explain why it seems like belly fat is the last thing to go :) Good luck and stick with it!!
  • silent1988
    Options
    thanks you all for the help