Having a lot of trouble sleeping

Options
shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
This past week I've started running more than usual. I'm not sure if there's any relation, but this week I have had trouble sleeping every night. I can't' fall asleep, and I wake up every hour or so and then spend another hour tossing and turning. My diary is open if you think it might have to do with food. Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I'm exhausted :(

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What time do you run? It could be that you're not giving yourself enough time after the run to wind down before bed.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I take a melatonin pill before bed, mine you just let dissolve under your tongue . Since then I have been sleeping more deeply. If everything else you try doesn't work. Consider this a possibility
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Sleep Hygiene

When sleep is difficult, sometimes medication is necessary, however even the sleep achieved with it is not normal sleep and is not as effective rest as normal sleep. When difficulties with sleep arise it is important to try several things before resorting to medication.

1. Avoid caffeine. (coffee, chocolate, tea...)
    2. Avoid daytime naps.
    3. Avoid vigorous exercise just before bed. Save that for mid day.
    4. Avoid alcohol completely!
    5. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. (Even on the weekend!) (But don’t go to bed if you are not sleepy.)
    6. Use the bedroom for sleep or sex only!
    7. If you don’t fall asleep within 20 minutes of lying down, get up and read something very boring. Try again when you are sleepy. Don’t lie in bed for extended periods of time thinking of how hard it is to sleep.
    8. Warm milk before bed is no old wives tale. Warming milk releases Tryptophan, an amino acid which helps induce sleep. A warm bath just before bed can also be helpful to allow you to relax.
    9. Develop a prebedtime ritual to help yourself relax.
    10. If medication is necessary use it at most every other day, to avoid problems with addiction or tolerance.
    11. Be sure that the environment you sleep in is comfortable. Eliminate noise, snoring partners, aches (Tylenol), excessive heat or cold, light etc.
    12. Be sure the bed you sleep in is clean (sheets washed at least once a week), made, and uncluttered.

If problems persist see your physician again to look for other possible causes of sleeplessness. (medication side effects, nocturnal myoclonus, restless legs syndrome, hyperthyroidism, etc.)

Sleep Restriction: Studies show that restricting the hours you spend in bed early in sleep disorders helps to lessen the struggles you may have with sleep. For the first 2 weeks of this work, set the same 6-7 hour period for sleep each day. This can be lengthened as your sleep improves.
    Relaxation Exercises: Practice these daily at least.
    Worry Control: Compartmentalization and journaling

It will take about 4 weeks of consistent practice for your sleep to improve.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know it happens to me if I run late in the day. Might try moving your run to the morning. :) Good luck your diet is great!!!
  • indianaangel
    Options
    I agree with the others. The ideal time to exercise is when you get up in the morning. For one, it burns more fat because your body is already in the burning mode and for two it gives you body time to relax so you can sleep at night. Also, melatonin is a safe, natural way to get some extra sleep. Your body naturally produces melatonin so it isn't a foreign chemical. I have found it very successful on the short term, but I have never taken it on a daily basis. I would think that eventually your body would catch on and build up a resistance. Good luck!
  • shovav91
    Options
    I have been working out first thing in the morning, so I don't think it's that.
    Possibly stress? Are melatonin supplements safe?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem. It's worse during the change of seasons. Not sure why?:yawn:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check is any medications you take. Anti depressants and allergy medications can cause restless leg syndrome. I had no clue what used to wake me up in the night until my boyfriend told me that I would lay there and twitch or kick him and the bed. The weird thing was that I was taking the anit depressants because I couldn't sleep and the doctor figured it was stress related. I took the allergy meds at night because I would plug up and not be able to get air through my nose. I had a surgery to correct some structural sinus issues and haven't needed them since. On the occasion that I do have issues sleeping I use Melatonin. No groggy feeling, deep sleep, and not habit forming.
  • shovav91
    Options
    I don't take any medications, nor do I nap. It's just frustrating at this point, I go to class and work and exercise and study... my days are packed and I'm exhausted! One would think that would help me sleep, but no....
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!
  • LShandR
    LShandR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a very light sleeper and I find it difficult to sleep when the seasons change. I've taken Melatonin for years, it's great on those nights when you feel that you may be restless. Melatonin is safe you can find it in your vitamin isle. Usually they are in 1mg-5mg capsules. Start with 1mg and go from there. Melatonin is the chemical in your brain that tells you it's night time and time to rest.

Good luck! :)
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It might be stress in anticipation of Towel Tuesday. Now that the thread has been pulled, hopefully you will get better sleep. :wink: