Partially insulting NSV.

Options
Cassycat
Cassycat Posts: 68 Member
So yesterday, I go to work (i work at a nursing home), pumped from my recent bout with jillian on level 3 of 30ds. My buttcheeks burning with the fire of 1000 suns., (thank you lunges!) I go into the dining room where the residents sit in the afternoon, and the first thing i hear is "Cassy, youre looking poor." POOR? I ask. What the heck does that mean. My resident says to me, "you know, sick... you need to stop losing weight!" What? "your face is getting all long and i can see your collar bones" Well, yes. That happens when you get thinner. I weigh 148lbs. I'm not skinny. I dont get it. But whatever, I just took it as my resident being old fashioned. But then, the rest of the day I hear it from coworkers, bosses, etc...

Apparently, its because my scrubs are fitting me so loosely these days. I can't help it. Theyre the same scrubs i wore when i was 190, but i cant afford anymore right now because they aint cheap!

I was wondering does anyone else get this insult/compliment? It sucks, I think, but the girl inside of me who worked her *kitten* off cant help but to think it's just jealousy coming from folks. I'm also very tired of hearing, you look fine at that weight, if you lose anymore you'll look funny,sick,gross etc..

Replies

• socialite1
    Options
    Someone told me just this morning that my head looked huge because I had lost so much weight **blink, blink, stare**. Umm...ok. Thanks??

But great job! It will take some time for them to get used to your new figure. I'm sure the comments will stop after a while.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I think its better than getting "when are you due?" When you're not pregnant. Lol
  • christina000
    Options
    Aww that sucks, sorry. It's kind of a compliment, I guess, because at least you know it shows. But it really is ridiculous when people can't just be supportive of one another. I have gotten comments before, but during this journey, none at all, except from my fiance who says, " Girl you are getting too skinny..." but he says it jokingly, and I love it.
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Elderly people have lived through the depression when being overweight was a sign of wealth.....as you get older it is better to be heavier than too skinny too...that is probably where they are coming from. I wear baggy *kitten* scrubs everyday and then I decided to spend the $10 on a pair of new ones that fit my butt better and WOW go from looking too thin in fat pants to looking great for ten bucks......Don't stress it, your heart is healthier, your job is easier with your new ripped muscles, and your energy levels are amped so you can deal gracefully with the folks in the home....Did the job for years myself and they uses to say some wierd stuff Huh? LOL...Good job on your loss!!!!
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    Someone told me just this morning that my head looked huge because I had lost so much weight **blink, blink, stare**. Umm...ok. Thanks??

But great job! It will take some time for them to get used to your new figure. I'm sure the comments will stop after a while.

I KNOW my head looks much larger after I lost weight... I have a large head to begin with...lol it's okay
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I can't tell you how many people at work have stopped me and said "Are you okay? Are you sick? Is everything going alright?" and when I look at them blankly (because I honestly don't know WHY they are asking) - they'll whisper to me "Well, you're so thin. You've lost so much weight - everyone thinks you're sick".

*sigh* No. I'm not sick. I'm healthy. There's nothing wrong. I am healthy.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    LOL...Old people don't have filters sometimes (they'd probably also tell you you were getting fat if you were gaining!).

I also agree with the poster above referencing the depression..its a mindset with those people.

Good for you though - it sounds like you're doing fantastic!
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have always been very heavy and have been at least a size 18 since high school. Well about 8 years ago, I decided to lose some weight and lost about 45 lbs but still weighed almost 190lbs and my dad just kept saying that I must be sick and that I looked sickly. I ended up gaining that back plus due to a bad injury. I am on my way back down now. He hasn't said anything to me yet this time around but the closer I get to that mark, I have to wonder if he will start to say things again.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been getting more and more "you're too skinny" comments, but I just take it as a compliment! I know its not true, but at least they are noticing! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think many times it's just the difference. People who see you regularly are used to seeing you a certain way. They just need to get used to the new thin you.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think people sometimes aren't sure how to express their thoughts on someone losing weight. For people in a nursing home, loss of weight is probably a serious negative... so maybe thats what the old timer was relating it to? Regardless, you are looking so good!! Rock them scrubs!! :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options

That made me giggle! I hope you laughed and took it as a compliment! It seems saying "Oh my god you've gained two stone" isn't the done thing but losing weight is a different territory of conversation! :flowerforyou:
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    People just have a hard time with change...you look fantabulous!! My mom did that to me when I was losing weight after my 2nd baby was born and I look back at pictures now and think I still looked overweight and had more to lose. It's hard for people to adjust to it. And of course, people worry about eating disorders when people lose a ton of weight as well and it's their way of saying "just don't overdo it cause you already are looking good". So I would take it as a compliment...not only do you look amazing, but many people care about you and love you enough to say something concerning to you just cause they care I think. If you want to lose another 10 lbs or more or less...do what you think is best for you and just reevaluate where your at when you get there. As long as you're a healthy weight and you feel healthy and feel you look healthy, that's all that matters.

I'm sure you're totally swimming in your scrubs!! You should make your next goal a new scrubs goal just cause you deserve to show off that awesome new body of yours. :flowerforyou:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You just need to consider the source for that comment, an elderly person isn't going to see your weight loss in the same way that someone around your age would. The depression comment that I saw here makes perfect sense.

That said, you'll likely get comments from others too - my own doctor recently told me it was time to stop losing! I'm not at goal yet, my still squishy belly tells me so. :D

Bottom line - if this is being done in a healthy way and you're not whittling yourself down to skin and bones, there will always be those that think you're "too skinny now". You look great!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I posted my pic on facebook after getting down to 169 from 248. I was told I was to thin and that I was taking this thing to far and maybe I was OCD. I thought WOW I didn't know the abreviation for dedication was OCD.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Apparently, its because my scrubs are fitting me so loosely these days. I can't help it. Theyre the same scrubs i wore when i was 190, but i cant afford anymore right now because they aint cheap!

Check www.tafford.com. I used to find great deals on that site, and be sure to search google for coupons or free shipping offers.
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I lost a bunch of weight right after high school my ex and dad at the same time told me I looked anorexic. Wtf?
  • msterlitz
    Options
    I power walk during my lunch break. One time when I was finished and came back to my desk my co-workers asked if I had baggy clothes that don't fit anymore. I wasn't sure where this was going so I said yes all of my clothes are very baggy and getting too big. Their reply was, you know if you keep losing weight you're going to have to buy new clothes. Ummmm, yes idiots! that is the point! Sometimes you run accross people that are flat out mean and are jerks...I ask myself, do they really want to be thought of like that? Or do they just not know how to express themselves? I know who I am and where I am going. I want to be fit and strong. Forget what all the haters say, just do your thing and enjoy life with confindence. You know you are working on the right things, so any third degree at this point is just blind judgement.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Shake the haters off! I notice people always have something to say when you are making positive changes. Nobody told me anything when I was eating bags of Oreos. Now, that I log my food religiously, I am being a control freak. That's just how people are...unfortunately.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OMG!

My sitter - "You don't need to lose anymore."

My kid's psychologist - "You are a good size" and then tells my daughter "She wants to be model skinny."

My ex-boyfriend - "You're going to lose your boobs!"

:mad:

And if its not that, then its my co-workers telling me what to eat and how to work out.

:explode:

Frustrating to say the least!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!