I need lower calorie breakfast options! Help!

Options

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Legalchica
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Cereals ! YUM
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of oatmeal with half and half and diced fresh fruit and an iced coffee with half of cup of 2% milk almost every morning. My breakfast comes in under 250 calories. Your breakfast doesn't sound that different. I'm not sure where all your extra calories are coming from. I guess the walnuts?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Drop the dried cranberries and go for a fresh or frozen fruit (like blueberries). When you add nuts to anything you'll see a spike in calories, you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. Also, go with fruit on your oats or eat the apple (or cut up the apple and put it on your oats) not both, you're getting a lot of fiber that way, but a ton of sugar too.

I love my oats in the morning too! I used to put almonds in it but saw that I was having a really high cal. breakfast too! I dropped the almonds and started adding 2 tbsp. of Peanut butter powder. I also cut up a small apple or add frozen blueberries to it.
    My oatmeal breakfast is : 1/2 cup oats, 1 apple cut up into the oats, 2 tbsp. peanut butter powder, and 1/2 cup of milk. If I am really feeling like I need more food I skip the pb powder and eat a hard boiled egg.
    I am always soooo hungry for breakfast and I always feel like my breakfast is sooo many calories compared to what others are eating but I have always been a breakfast person and what works for me may not work for others!
    Good Luck!

Yeah, my original suggestion was assuming that you wanted to continue eating oatmeal in the morning. I don't actually eat oatmeal I have 1 of 2 breakfasts during the week (generally):
    1) Mornings where I don't lift in the morning: 1 cup chex, 2 cups coffee, 2 packets sweet n low, .25 c blueberries, .75 c skim milk (.25 for the cereal and .25 for each cup of coffee) = 187 calories
    2) Mornings where I do lift: 1 egg white, 1 whole egg, 1 stick of frigo string cheese light, 1 corn tortilla, 2 cups coffee, 2 packets sweet n low, .5 cup milk (278)

Sometimes I'll have an egg white omlette (3 eggs) with lots of veggies, salsa, and a half ounce of cheese
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Drop the dried cranberries and go for a fresh or frozen fruit (like blueberries). When you add nuts to anything you'll see a spike in calories, you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. Also, go with fruit on your oats or eat the apple (or cut up the apple and put it on your oats) not both, you're getting a lot of fiber that way, but a ton of sugar too.

Agreed -- I do steel cut oatmeal with 10g sugar (I'm anti-artificial sweeteners) and 15g nuts, which comes to 275 calories.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a serving of dry cereal and half a cup of skim milk... usually between 110 and 200 calories. I don't need much most mornings though.
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just skip breakfast, 0 calories

That's what I do. I finish dinner at (say) 9pm and then don't eat anything for 15-16 hours so typically 1pm. The only thing I ingest before lunch is a large black coffee or water. Works for me, cuts out several hundred calories and frees up 20-30 mins at the busiest time of my day. Gives me plenty of room to hit my 1600 daily limit with lunch and dinner.

SS
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i really like one piece of bread (sara lee 45 calorie multi grain with honey) toasted, scramble one large egg, add a couple forkfulls of 95% fat free ham bites, 1 slice of american singles fat free sharp cheddar and put it on top of the toast--all for about 200 cals

another option i love is two pieces of bread, toasted (same bread as above-2 slices= 90 cals) put 1/2 tablespoon of butter cream salted butter on each piece of toast (100 cals) then add cinnamon sugar on the bread. (25 cals per tblspoon) then usually a piece of fruit around 300 cals with the fruit.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Just skip breakfast, 0 calories

That's what I do. I finish dinner at (say) 9pm and then don't eat anything for 15-16 hours so typically 1pm. The only thing I ingest before lunch is a large black coffee or water. Works for me, cuts out several hundred calories and frees up 20-30 mins at the busiest time of my day. Gives me plenty of room to hit my 1600 daily limit with lunch and dinner.

SS

Wow... my body couldn't handle that! Especially if I'm working out in the morning - my blood sugar drops and I pass out. I really find that my system works and feels better when I eat something every 2-3 hours.
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal is simply the instant quaker apples and cinnamon. I adore it, and it holds me over. I make it with water.

My schedule changes constantly (I work retail), but one thing I keep in the cupboard for on the go breakfasts is Fiber One 90 bars - the chewy chocolate peanut butter is delicious!
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    PS - I started using Pure Via (like Truvia) instead of Splenda. I like it better, and it has no carbs (Truvia does) to sweeten my morning coffee :) It's also way cheaper!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit boring with a general staple of porridge.....but I detest milk so having it with water automatically brings down the cals. However, Muesli is great filler and my favourite breakfasts if at home (not the office) would be.....

3 x whole egg omelettes with mushrooms. This morning was 310 cals with some side salad. You might want to add a slice of toast to that too to add in some carbs?

Peanut butter on toast - quite filling and certainly tasty! I use a 'less fat' peanut butter and it all adds up to around 300cals.

Baked beans & fried mushrooms on toast - about 350 cals (no butter, mushrooms fried with Fry-Light)

I think that's pretty much it...though yesterday I did have a bowl of plain oats followed by a bar of dark chocolate at 300 cals inclusive : )
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I need something I can just pop in the microwave in the morning or else I feel tempted to stop at McDonald's on the way to drop my oldest son at preschool. I keep the Weight Watchers Smart Ones breakfast quesadillas in the freezer. Most morning I have one of those (230 calories), if I'm still hungry I'll add on a banana (100-120 calories depending on size). So my breakfast ranges from 230-350 calories on most days, when I'm in a hurry. I know some people are not fans of frozen meals like this but it works well for me. If I run out of the quesadillas or just want to switch it up a little, sometimes I'll do cheese toast (50 calorie cheese single on a 45 calorie slice of bread) plus a banana. But I also don't normally workout until the afternoon so I'm not fueling up right then, just trying to keep myself from being hungry until lunch.
  • Shan605
    Shan605 Posts: 41
    Options
    Every sunday i make a huge breakfast scramble and seperate it into 5 containers so i can grab and go for the week. I try to change the veggies up each week but generally i do

5 whole eggs
    1.5 cups egg whites
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    2 cups brocolli or aspargus
    4 oz goat cheese
    pepper to taste
    one whole onion
    One can of black beans rinsed

This has a TON of protein and fiber and keeps me full until way past a normal lunch time. It also has between 250-350 calories depending which veggies i use that week. You can mess around with this but its a great starting point.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    this morning i had a 2 egg omlet with 2 slices monterey jack cheese , just over 300 cals, not hungry yet
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is:
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Potass Sodium
    2009 Kashi - Cinnamon Harvest Cereal, 28 biscuits 180 43 1 6 170 0
    Meijer - Milk - Fat Free, 0.5 cup 45 7 0 4 190 63
    225 50 1 10 360 63

I usually at a Chobani to it (add about 140 cals) or a banana (add about 105 cals). That would put you in the range you want; and it's AWESOME :-)
  • poutinEeyore
    poutinEeyore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Some fab ideas here, I'd been getting very bored with breakfast ....so thanks for posting!
  • 1Set1Rep
    Options
    Oatmeal pancakes can be pretty good. You put some baking powder, egg whites, and oatmeal, let it "soak" overnight in the fridge and then fry it up. You still get the nutrition of oats but its more voluminous. Then throw some sugar free syrup (Cary's is the best I've found in the grocery store). Heres a good recipe

1 scoop vanilla protein (~120)
    1/2 Cup Oats (~150)
    2 eggwhites (~30)
    2oz skim milk or water (~50)
    Some baking powder & cooking spray

Soak that overnight then cook it in the AM into 2-3 pancakes. With toppings it is still under 400 calories, and a good range of nutrients
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Every sunday i make a huge breakfast scramble and seperate it into 5 containers so i can grab and go for the week. I try to change the veggies up each week but generally i do

5 whole eggs
    1.5 cups egg whites
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    2 cups brocolli or aspargus
    4 oz goat cheese
    pepper to taste
    one whole onion
    One can of black beans rinsed

This has a TON of protein and fiber and keeps me full until way past a normal lunch time. It also has between 250-350 calories depending which veggies i use that week. You can mess around with this but its a great starting point.

Thanks - I am totally going to try this.