Ladies, blowdrying hair all the time question

Options

Replies

• kaassiia
    kaassiia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.drugstore.com/organix-penetrating-oil-renewing-moroccan-argan/qxp336545?catid=183459&fromsrch=organix

Moroccan oil by Organix is my favorite product. I have long thick bleached hair (years of highlighting have dried it out) and this is the only stuff that actually makes a difference.

I have paid up to $47 for a good silk and this $7 one is better than anything else.

Put it on the ends of your hair whenever you want.

When washing hair, concentrate on the roots only. The suds from the roots will flow down to the tips and leave your whole head smelling clean. No need to worry about shampooing the ends of your hair.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I live by Moroccan Oil products - shampoo, conditioner, and oil. I wash my hair 3 times a week and use those 3 items every time. I also limit my hairdrying as much as possible - towel dry first, air dry next, finish with hair dryer.

For the in between times and after gym when I don't wash I stick with dry shampoo (Psssst! from Walmart/Walgreens) or baby powder. I find that if I put the baby powder in over night that it still will work all day the next day but the smell is half strength since I've slept on it.

You might want to invest in a good deep conditioning treatment to use once a week on your ends.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great topic, thanx to the OP!

I have very long hair and am just now starting an exercise program that means working out a minimum of 4 days per week. I usually wash my hair 2-3 times a week, and I don't want to increase that. So THANK YOU to all who replied, great ideas here!

As for me, I switched from "cheapo" brands to Nexus - much more expensive but here's what I found out. With the discount brands I needed to use a lot more shampoo and conditioner, so even washing 2-3x/week the bottles emptied out fast. With Nexus I need sooooooo much less to get shampooed and conditioned, it's lasting tons longer so in the long run will end up costing about the same as the cheapo stuff! And my hair is in MUCH better shape!

:drinker:

Ice
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have all the same problems. I've started using Kerastase products, and they work fantastic! Also, on days you don't wash your hair, try "After Party" by Bed Head.

kerastase is expensive, but worth it. (i'm a hair junkie). using crap like suave is awful for your hair.

I keep hearing good things about this brand. Going to have to try it out. Hopefully there's somewhere online that sells it as I don't think our supermarkets or chemists stock it.

Kerastase has a website, and I order online a lot. You can only find these products at top salons. Sooooo worth it, though!
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Tresseme Dry Shampoo...a total lifesaver!!! I don't know if they have it where you live, it's a new product. It comes in dry and a sort of mousse type. Works so great for those "not really all that dirty" hair days.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Morning ladies,

Glad my original post has gotten so many good ideas! Thanks.

I ordered from Look Fantastic yesterday: a keratese (sp) mask thing and some moroccan oil shampoo as someone in work with me recommended it. I'm taking a half day from work also to get the kids Hallowen costumes so I will pop to Boots in the local shopping centre to have a look there also.

I dye my hair at home also so I suppose that is drying my hair out too. I really don't pay attention to my hair. As I said, I'm not a girly girl and have a 0 beauty regime full stop:laugh:

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I will let you all know the marvellous, silky shiny hair outcome.....fingers crossed!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip:

do not shampoo all of your hair, only the scalp. If you already do this, apply conditioner FIRST, and THEN apply shampoo (sounds weird, but I think Frederik Fekkai recommended doing this). ^^

Also, try a leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair. A serum, cream, or even spray. I am currently using this strange oil in a can lol Unfortunately dont have enough Japanese to read what kind of oil yet, but it is amazing ^^

Another thing is...similar to the oil in a can thing above, if you want your hair to look healthier, buy spray-on sunscreen (the kind in a can again...like airbrush kind) and spray that on your hair lol. I swear it makes your hair sooo shiny and soft :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip:

do not shampoo all of your hair, only the scalp. If you already do this, apply conditioner FIRST, and THEN apply shampoo (sounds weird, but I think Frederik Fekkai recommended doing this). ^^

Also, try a leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair. A serum, cream, or even spray. I am currently using this strange oil in a can lol Unfortunately dont have enough Japanese to read what kind of oil yet, but it is amazing ^^

Another thing is...similar to the oil in a can thing above, if you want your hair to look healthier, buy spray-on sunscreen (the kind in a can again...like airbrush kind) and spray that on your hair lol. I swear it makes your hair sooo shiny and soft :)
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I am a hairstylist and I would recommend that you might need to get your hair back in good shape by trying something like joico kpac moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. If you use that dry shampoo on what is already dry hair you are going to be in a bigger mess than you already are. After washing it I would also get a bottle of a product called its a 10. It is also called the miracle product it does 10 things to your hair which is adds vitamins and protects agianst heat, then one more product before drying it is to get a good not cheap but good mousse which will also add more protection and give it a less dry fuzzy feel when your done. Getting better priducts pays off in the end, it may cost you more money but worth every penny spent!!!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but the water at my gym is awful, I try not to shower there when I can help it...maybe twice a aweek only. My hair HATES their water.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but the water at my gym is awful, I try not to shower there when I can help it...maybe twice a aweek only. My hair HATES their water.
    Mine is the same. It makes my hair feel really sticky for some reason!
    Before I joined the gym I only needed to wash my hair every 5-6 days. Now I'm washing it practically every other day due to my big sweat-inducing workouts, haha. I don't think my hair likes it at all. It was okay at first, but two and a bit months in my hair is in awful condition! Going to get it trimmed soon then try and get myself an intensive mask to use once a week, and maybe some leave in conditioner too...
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I use the cheap-o alternative to dry shampoo - talcum powder. It works just as well, its cheaper, and it smells nice.

Talc is a carcinogen.

edit, add research: http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drying your hair on a "low" or "cool" setting?
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've started using some Treseme (sp?) dry shampoo.... and it works really well for when I don't have time to wash and dry.... It smells really good and absorbs.... Suave makes some too. Pretty cheap just to try .....I think I paid like $4

It can have a white poweder look in my hair so i put it on the night before and in the morning it looks fine. I also use these active bands. they look silly but they absorb the sweat
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You might just need to upgrade your hair products. if you're using cheap stuff, blow drying it more often can be harmful for it. I love love love Redken (I know it's pricey, so I don't use it often) or Pureology. Or if you don't want to use pricey shampoo, there is an anti-damage leave-in serum that Redken makes that will protect against breakage (I use this because I usually have my hair pulled back in a ponytail or messy bun).
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 6 days a week and sweat like crazy, which means I wash my hair at least 6/7 days. I use Aussie leave-in conditioner (spray) it also has heat protectant. I blow dry and hot iron every time I wash. Just get the regular 6 week trim.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I was getting frustrated with my hair drying out from too much washing as well. My stylist said that most people don't need to wash their hair everyday unless they use product (which I don't) and that it can be detrimental. So I started an alternating schedule. My workout schedule tends to alternate higher intensity (runs) with lower (strength or lighter cross training) so I sweat more or less, depending. On the heavy sweat workouts, I fully shampoo and condition. On lower sweat nights, I rinse my hair when I shower, but don't shampoo/condition. But I do give it a good water only scrubbing with my hands. Then, as much as possible, I let it air dry and then re-wet with a spray bottle just enough to blow dry it into an orderly fashion again before I head out. Doing this has really helped and my hair no longer feels dry at all.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wash and dry my hair sometimes twice/day (morning before work and after the gym at night if I swim) and my first suggestion would be dry shampoo, I've tried it and liked it, however I have super curly hair and just feel like if I don't wash it, it looks like crap. So my other suggestion would be to use a nourishing styling crème as your first product, then a spray with heat protecting spray prior to blow drying. If that doesn't work try massaging olive oil into the ends. Good luck!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Update!!!

I got the Keratese deep level 3 or something conditioner, the moroccan oil shampoo and frizz -ease heat protector spray. All seems ok so far. Only wash the roots when my head is just sweaty. Used the morcorran oil/keratese tonight after spin/tone. Sitting here at 22.28 in Ireland, hair wet needing to be dried. My arms are sore from all the tone stuff our instructor did with us so blow drying tonight will be sore, ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried the lower/cool setting on the hair drier but TBH I'd be there til 2am drying my hair this way as my hair is thick. So i put it on hair for the roots and don't really blowdry the ends. I just give them a quick going over with the medium setting.

So ladies, thank you for all the FAB-U-LOUS replies. At least I know I am not alone.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair maybe 2-3 times a week. When I am at the gym, I put it up in a loose pony tail and immediately take it out when I am finished and let it dry on its own. Unless it is super sweaty and gross, I don't wash it, because the next day, it's really not that bad. I just brush it, possibly use a ceramic flat iron, and go about my day. When I wash my hair, I concentrate on the roots. When I condition it, I leave it on while I am washing the rest of my body, so my hair is nice and soft.

I am no stylist or anything, that's just what works for me. If I wash my hair more often, it gets dry and unmanageable.

Yeah I do about the same; I find my hair dries out if I shampoo it every day even with conditioner. If I am showering every day I always condition but shampoo it every 2-3 days. I have natural curly hair and our hair tends to dry out a little more than others. When I used to straighten my hair all the time I couldn’t get it to grow past my shoulders.