Mind Games

Options
liaalyn
liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
Just recently realized a good tip I will use from now on. Log your food BEFORE you eat it. (You can always change it later, if you eat less/more)

I found that knowing the end outcome of my meal in calories helps me realize, hey, this is 405 calories... reminds me to eat it slowly and enjoy every minute of it so I don't end up over eating or doing bad snacking.

Any thoughts or tips you use to trick your mind?

Happy eating! :)

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah i often log the 'known' items of the day, kinda makes it easier to plan things and stay in your range
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water, but I also have a hard time differenciating between hunger and boredom. So if in doubt I usually just drink water, if it's outside of eating times, somtimes I'll eat an apple or banana with a glass of water just to satisfy myself.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i've been doing this for a while, and its definetly the main reason i've lost so much and so steadily.
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    I try to finish my diary before mid day helps me keep from eating too much and eating bad snacks. I think okay I already finished my giary for today so I can't have that...lol For me it works :)
  • liaalyn
    Options
    i've been doing this for a while, and its definetly the main reason i've lost so much and so steadily.

Awesome! I just went to warm up my food and logged it while I waited. Didn't know it was 400 calories... lol. I am taking my time eating :)
  • Tzipporah90
    Options
    Agreed 100%. Before I eat I log. Makes me enjoy it so much more and it has truly been instrumental in my loss.
  • liaalyn
    Options
    I try to finish my diary before mid day helps me keep from eating too much and eating bad snacks. I think okay I already finished my giary for today so I can't have that...lol For me it works :)

Thats great! I normally don't know what I'm going to eat, but as soon as I know if I log it first its like a mini wake up call
  • liaalyn
    Options
    Agreed 100%. Before I eat I log. Makes me enjoy it so much more and it has truly been instrumental in my loss.

Great feedback. I'm excited to see that this has already worked for numerous people. Thanks!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ALWAYS log before I eat. Great advice! :D
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    great advice ^^ its like the "shop with your stomach full" but for MFP XD
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I try and drink two glasses of water before every meal & just today decided to log before I eat it. It seems to help!
  • bks1
    bks1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do that too! I log my calories first and I can honestly say that's helped me to stay on track for as long as I have.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I try to pack my food the night before. Mostly because I leave the house at 7:30 am and don't get back until 8 or 9 pm. Then I know how many "fudge" calories I have in case my plans change :) It also helps me make healthier choices when I have more time to think about my food for the entire day and how it will work together for my body, as opposed to just grabbing what sounds good at that time for only that meal.
    On the weekends, I'll try to at least check the calorie count of a food or meal if it's something I don't eat often or don't know the calorie count. REALLY saves my butt on the nights the hubby suddenly decides we "need" to eat out. Such a brat... lol.
  • liaalyn
    Options
    great advice ^^ its like the "shop with your stomach full" but for MFP XD
    HAHA so true!
  • liaalyn
    Options
    I try to pack my food the night before. Mostly because I leave the house at 7:30 am and don't get back until 8 or 9 pm. Then I know how many "fudge" calories I have in case my plans change :) It also helps me make healthier choices when I have more time to think about my food for the entire day and how it will work together for my body, as opposed to just grabbing what sounds good at that time for only that meal.
    On the weekends, I'll try to at least check the calorie count of a food or meal if it's something I don't eat often or don't know the calorie count. REALLY saves my butt on the nights the hubby suddenly decides we "need" to eat out. Such a brat... lol.

Arent' they horrible? Lol. Good thing about eating out, I went out for breakfast with my mom on Sunday, and I ate the leftovers yesterday AND today for lunch. Talk about easy lunch!
  • liaalyn
    Options
    I do that too! I log my calories first and I can honestly say that's helped me to stay on track for as long as I have.

Great! I'm excited!