Spaghetti Squash

Options
pinkakira1
pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
So I was thinking about trying this squash to trade in for past for dinner Wednesday night. Has anyone tryied this? and if so how did it turn out?

Replies

• CoSunshine410
    CoSunshine410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HI! I love spaghetti squash! I make mine in the oven. I cut it in 1/2 and bake it at 350 for about an hour until the center is soft and slightly browned. It is a GREAT substitute for pasta, but has a slightly crunchy consistency, which I love. You can also microwave or broil it as well. I have heard that the market will cut in 1/2 for you because it's pretty tough, kind of like carving a pumpkin, but you would have to make it that day. Hope this helps and enjoy!
  • tanthony2009
    Options
    I also love spaghetti squash. Like she stated above it is really hard to cut in half, but it is so worth it. I follow the same cooking instructions as she does. It is great right ouf of the shell. Just cook up some turkey burger or meatless with veggies and your favorite spaghetti sauce and dinner is served.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I actually made this last night. I poke holes in it like a baked potatoe and microwave for about 20 minutes. Cut in half and discard the seeds and stuff and scrape it out of the shell. I actually mixed mine with a little bit of whole grain spaghetti noodles and love it. I have had it without too. That's actually how I will be eating it tonight. lol You can just add some salt and pepper to it and use it as a side dish too. There are many different recipes you can use it with. You can mix it with your roasted veggies as well. Yummy. Hope you like it. It doesn't taste anything like pasta just so you know. It tastes like squash (go figure...lol). And the texture is different too.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love trading in spaghetti squash for pasta and the above mentioned cooking instructions are pretty much what I do (baking). Getting them to cut it at the market IS a good idea, it's a toughie!! Soo delicious though...however I did serve it once, for a friend who came for dinner, with my homemade sauce. She ate it all and we had a good time...weeks later she told me she disliked it, she is not much of a veggie eater. So - keep in mind that it is maybe not for everyone, lol.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Mixing it with roasted veggies sounds awesome, will try that later this week, thanks!
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I will def give it a try. I am somewhat of a picky eater so maybe mixing it with pasta too might help me make the transition. Can't wait to try it. I already purchased it just waiting for a time I can make it.
  • ekrier2
    ekrier2 Posts: 50
    Options
    I make mine the same way I bake it and then scrape it out into a large bowl. My favorite topping for it is to melt a couple of the swiss laughing cow cheese wedges in with the spaghetti squash and mix it around, Its almost like an alfredo pasta dish but not bad on the calories and fat and carbs !!!!!!!!!!!! Super yumiie and creamy cuz the cheese wedges melt really well. :)
  • Otis08052005
    Otis08052005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great idea on the cheese wedges, thanks! I've been baking it like everyone else and serving with spaghetti sauce. I love it, but my family won't eat it. I have to boil real noodles for them.
  • VeeJay52
    VeeJay52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our family has eaten spaghetti squash for years, and love it!! I microwave the squash for about 5 minutes in order to soften it enough to cut in half. Then I spoon out all the seeds and pulp in the middle. I microwave each half cut side down in a dish with about 1/2 inch of water for about 15 minutes each or until soft enough to eat. Use a fork to scrape the squash out of the shells and into spaghetti like strings. My family eats it with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese on top. I also like it with only lemon pepper sprinkled on top.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do the same as everyone else. I use it as my noodles in pasta dishes.

You can also roast the seeds like pumpkin seeds! They are quite yummy! :bigsmile:
  • PersnicketyFits
    Options
    I just finally tried spaghetti squash for the first time last week and I am SOLD! Here's the recipe I tried:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx

According to them, it's only 147 calories per serving! I also put in some cut up chicken breast just before adding the onions to the pan (I just cooked the chicken until all sides were white then added the onions and followed the rest of the recipes as stated on the site). SO yummy. Next I believe I just want to make one with a little salt, pepper, & Smart Balance.

Another idea: Just make your favorite pasta dishes and replace the noodles with your squash. Allrecipies has a whole section of pasta recipes. I could totally see a Peppered Shrimp Alfredo with squash instead of noodles or any of the lighter pasta dishes you can find in the Weight Watcher's or any variety of cookbooks. Just because it's already "light" doesn't mean to can't make it even healthier with a swap. :)
    I make mine the same way I bake it and then scrape it out into a large bowl. My favorite topping for it is to melt a couple of the swiss laughing cow cheese wedges in with the spaghetti squash and mix it around, Its almost like an alfredo pasta dish but not bad on the calories and fat and carbs !!!!!!!!!!!! Super yumiie and creamy cuz the cheese wedges melt really well. :)

Uh... YUM! Totally going to have to try this since laughing cow swiss is one of my staples I keep around.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I made spaghetti squash lasagna twice recently using this recipe as a base:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html

To mine I added seasoned ground turkey, sliced portobello mushrooms, shredded 2% mozzarella, and ricotta cheese. Delish! I also used an 8x11 pan, not the little individual ones that skinnytaste used.
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to try it! I love it! And I was pleasantly surprised that my Fiance liked it to because he doesn't like too much. Makes me so happy that he liked it :)
  • ekrier2
    ekrier2 Posts: 50
    Options
    Yeah and there are so many different laughing cow cheese wedges that its nice for the variety and super creamy and yummie but the best part is it being pretty much guilt free !!!!