What to do during pot lucks and feasts?

Options
Every year my friends and I all make a dish or two and have a family style feast for all of us, particularly for those without families or no holiday time off to go see them.

My social circle is incredibly diverse, so we usually have fun with providing home style recipes from our native lands. It's seriously one of the best days ever because I get homestyle Vietnamese, Japanese, Mexican, German, Indian, Turkish, Lebanese, Southern, etc etc dishes. I look forward to it all year. I can easily chow down on probably like 9000 calories because everything is so good and since it's an all day event we are constantly eating!

It's much easier saying "no" to things you can eat any time. I usually eat stuff I've never heard of and I get so excited that I just want to keep eating because I dont know if I'll ever get to eat it again.

If I want to have an epic cheat day, what should I do to prepare myself so I don't set myself back toooo much? Should I slightly increase my calorie intake prior so my metabolism isn't shocked? Should i exercise twice as much? Should I fast afterwards? What would you do? And seriously, if you saw all this food and tasted all the unique flavors, I highly doubt anyone of you could stay in a healthy goal limit, so I don't even want to hear "just say no". I WILL refuse seconds, but that's all i'm willing to sacrifice on the day. Im hoping for advice on how to prepare before and how to recover afterwards.

I'm really scared, and yet so so excited >:D

(I'm making Chicken 65, a dish from Andhra Pradesh, India, my homeland.)
chicken65postimage.jpg

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Fasting probably wouldn't help, maybe add some extra exercise a week or so before and after? Maybe also try to only eat small portions of things when you're there and bring some home with you to have for a later meal.

I'm seriously jealous though... I want to go too. :cry:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would just try to add extra exercise without eating back the exercise calories a few days before and after the event and then resume life as normal

I'm super jealous, too!

Edit: and watch portion size. This can save you quite a bit of calories :)
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what that is but it looks awesome
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ah, leftovers! Great idea

Edit: It's a spicy chicken appetizer. Deep fried and dyed red.

http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/chicken-65.php

It's a famous barfood from Hyderabad. Very bad for you, but holy moly it's delicious.
  • Wow, sounds amazing! Leading up to it, I would make sure to eat really healthy, as in no sugars, whole grains, and lean meat. I would also work out harder, maybe do a little extra cardio. Make sure to drink a lot of water so you don't hold onto water weight before this too. If you binge too much, just remember that tomorrow you can eat healthy, and enjoy the day.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have this problem, too, at Christmas. My plan is to only take tiny portions of all the things I want (like three bites worth) and savor each mouthful.

And, of course, make sure I get some form of exercise in that day.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I think it is wonderful to get a bunch of people together and show more about yourself. And the meal that you are bringing looks great.

Here's what I would do (i don't know if this is the right tactic but it works :)). During the week of I would get a few extra workouts, get a little higher burn factor. Also bank some extra calories throughout the week. I normally average about 1650 - So even with a huge party or something fabulous over a week I can still hit my average with good weekly planning.

You are doing so well! The fact that you are thinking ahead of the situation instead of trying to rebound from it - That's great!!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    At Weight Watchers, they would encourage us to save up calories for a feast. Exercise more, before and after to make sure that you burn all 9000 calories off. And fast the day of. No big breakfasts! And maybe eat very lightly the day after--you will probably be still digesting, so it shouldn't be too much of an effort.

I would not worry too much about shock to the system, except that you might have a tendency to have more of the hungries during the next week. Deal with that by planning lots of protein in your diet until your metabolic clock is re-set.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion on the "feeling like you may never have again" feeling... Maybe this year, you should all agree to bring copies of the recipe you used to make your dish so you can swap recipes? That way you'll know you can go home and reproduce that dish?
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a few of things.

#1 Workout like a maniac before you go to said potluck
    #2 Try everything you want, just in small portions
    #3 plan your other meals for that day to be small/low cal so you have plenty leftover for the big splurge
    #4 Make sure you drink a ton of water all day

Good luck!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did (or tried to do) when I started my journey in March towards a healthier way of eating and slimmer me, was reset my thinking about food. If you really think about it, the absolute best bite of anything we eat is the first bite. Not that the other bites are not good...they just aren't as good as that first taste. So, rather than thinking more is better, take your time when you eat at this incredible feast. Really savor each bite. And plan on eating everything there...just eat a little bit. You will be satisfied, you will get to taste everything and you won't feel deprived. Do what everyone else suggests too with the water and extra exercise.

But most importantly, enjoy!
  • paniologal
    paniologal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over occasionally. And sometimes it's impossible to say no, especially if it's a rare treat.

What I do in cases like that is say you eat 3000 calories at the potluck, then for the next week or so eat about 200-300 calories under your goal. It will kind of even out. And exercise never hurts either.

But everyone is different, so whatever you think will work for you, you should try it. :)
  • khua0808
    Options
    For special occasions like this you should have a very light breakfast and lunch (if the dinner is the special) then gorge on the food slowly and make it more of a occasion where you can talk with everyone than enjoy the food. Enjoy a bit of every food but like everything, in moderation.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ive gone to some potlucks in the last month (Oktoberfest, etc) and what I did was get a large spoonful of everything I wanted, ate it slowly (setting the spoon down each time) and when it was done, I just couldn't eat any more if I tried. I even ate like 4 different cakes. And two of em had whiskey and beer in them. I say enjoy it. It sounds to me like you expect us to tell you no, and that's not good, it forces you to almost want more of it if that makes sense. Moderation is key, and hey, you could always get recipes. I'm sure if it is from diff. peoples homelands, they'd love to convert yah. Haha.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    id eat before i went..also would make a dish that is healthy and that you know exactly what the cal. is in it...also i wouldnt fear eating others foods as long as you knew what you were eating...

moderation, use your head, and you win!