New & Confused

Options
I`m a university student with a hectic schedule.
I`m looking to make some friends and gain some motivation.
Tips and tricks welcome :)

Replies

• Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Tips and tricks?
    Exercise, eat healthier!
    Welcome to MFP
    feel free to add me x
  • gabriella_0577
    Options
    Welcome - I am new too. Trying desparately to get on track, loose weight and exercise. Here is a tip (from what I read) it is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. The less calories you consume the less weight you gain.

Good luck!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in college as well- I'm in class 25 hours a week and I work about 20 hours a week. Finding the motivation and energy to work out is HARD- which is why motivational friends are awesome :D
    Feel free to add me, we can help each other!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I am new too. Trying desparately to get on track, loose weight and exercise. Here is a tip (from what I read) it is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. The less calories you consume the less weight you gain.

Good luck!

the less calories you eat/the less you gain is, im sorry, horrible advise. You need to be sure to eat enough, following what mfp suggests for you, making sure you get a minimum of 1200 NET calories (calories consumed minus excercise calories equals net calories). with a mind set of "i need to eat as few number of calories as i can" will put you in starvation mode and make you gain weight or not beable to lose weight.

as far as the 80/20 rule, well, ive been here a lil over 7months and its all on the food side, with little to no excercise. you can lose all the weight you want with just the food side, however, you will be flabby or untoned int he end without the excercise; so its important to do it for the vanity side of things, but not important to do it for the weight loss side of things...
  • manenina
    Options
    I agree with Anna. You need to eat enough! And you shouldn't worry about loosing "too much weight" every week. From what I've read, professionals recommend a weight lost of 1-2 pounds each week. I recommend you to use one of the many tools that helps you approximate the amount of calories you should eat every day. That has worked out for me :-) Moreover, if you eat too little you'll be to hungry and you'll be more likely to quit.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like! I try to be as supportive and motivational as I can be!
    I've heard that you shouldn't try to lose weight TOO fast because the faster you lose it the more likely you are to gain it back once you get to your ideal weight. Better to try to lose weight slowly, a pound or 2 a week, the healthy way, and you'll be more likely to keep the weight off.
    I've found out for me that when I net 1200 calories a day I lose weight quicker because my body isn't being tricked into thinking it's starving by having too few calories.