After intense exercise...

Options
Your metabolism is supposedly in overdrive for a little while. At least, that's what I've heard...and that's what my doctor claims is causing me to sweat profusely for 2 hours after my workout is complete.

So, I get home and eat a filling dinner. And then BAM - around 10pm I'm starving all over again.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there something I can do to take the edge off? Should I just eat? What if eating will make me go over my calories?

I should note that this happens only on days when I have an intense cardio session - but that is really frequent (3-5 x per week).

Replies

• hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    are you eating enuf protein after your cardio session? I find that if i dont have enough decent protein then im hungry by bedtime and starving the next morning, just an idea. :)
  • rosebud1749
    Options
    My trainer suggests eating something...like a apple/banana, a protein bar/shake within 15-30 minutes of your workout. I always have something in my gym bag to take the edge off. Then I don't feel the need to rush to eat dinner. This seems to help me make it for a longer period of time. Hope this helps.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How long before and after your workout do you eat?
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Could try to make dinner smaller, then snack later bigger, or divide up your dinner into 2 parts. Or decent bar or shake after workout, then delay dinner by a hour or two later than normal.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep. Happens to me too. I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Trainings) about 2-3 times per week. On those days I am ALWAYS much hungrier than when I do my regular cardio. My advice...drink more water and protein on those days to keep you full. If at 10PM you are starving and don't plan on going to bed until at least 3 hours later, then eat if you really must. If you plan to go to bed shortly after I would just chug some water.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    are you eating enuf protein after your cardio session? I find that if i dont have enough decent protein then im hungry by bedtime and starving the next morning, just an idea. :)

immediately after my workout, I usually go for 8oz or chocolate milk or a single serving (6oz) container of Chobani. Both are pretty high in protein.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    Ok, I have some questions....are you really over weight? Do you have any metabolic diseases...thyroid, diabetes, etc? Age??? How many calories are you burning,,,,hope you arent mad yet....ok, two suggestions....no more than a half hour after the vigorous activity, and I mean this, have a recovery minimeal...some protien, a few carbs....also, slam the water....eat no more than 30 minutes after. I keep a bar in the car or a muscle milk light for immediately after. THEN go ahead and have tje healthy dinner, etc. I am a morning exerciser, i have a minimeal as soon as I am done, sometimes in the car...then my breakfast before I go to work. Hope this helps!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    How long before and after your workout do you eat?

Well, it varies but most days I have a snack around 3pm. Workout around 430-5. I'm done by 630, and have a snack (as described above).
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Ok, I have some questions....are you really over weight? Do you have any metabolic diseases...thyroid, diabetes, etc? Age??? How many calories are you burning,,,,hope you arent mad yet....ok, two suggestions....no more than a half hour after the vigorous activity, and I mean this, have a recovery minimeal...some protien, a few carbs....also, slam the water....eat no more than 30 minutes after. I keep a bar in the car or a muscle milk light for immediately after. THEN go ahead and have tje healthy dinner, etc. I am a morning exerciser, i have a minimeal as soon as I am done, sometimes in the car...then my breakfast before I go to work. Hope this helps!

28F, no metabolic or thyroid issues, 18% body fat, 122 lbs
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Today was pretty typical for me during cardio days.

I was peckish when I started, ravenous during, and not super hungry afterwards. I ate anyway because I knew I'd be hungry. Two hours later, I'm ravenously hungry again despite eating lunch as usual. I find if I just kind of graze in the afternoons after my workouts it helps. I eat roasted soy nuts because they're decent for protein and so very, very boring to eat--and thus not terribly appetizing, but not bad either.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Great profile pic.
    I experience hunger all the time. I handle it by eating every 3hrs. I strive to eat protein/complex carbs at every meal. This will total 5-6 meals (including snacks). It's not easy to do all the time, but I'm trying. If I'm hungry at 10pm, I drink a protein shake then go to bed.

Careful there, you don't want your body to use muscle for fuel.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    it sounds all pretty normal. As you write you have a filling dinner I suggest just having something real light, so that you sleep good so late, but going to bed with a groveling belly is not fun either. I eat dinner between 6 and 7.30 and then a light snack again around 9 pm, mostly a 100 cal bag with almonds and tea with that, after that the craving is gone, though I felt as if I could eat a whole horse, eating the almonds slow after drinking my green tea I am full and the belly is happy.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Careful there, you don't want your body to use muscle for fuel.

I think I'm gonna have to get a HRM because I might just be shredding more calories than I can estimate using bw & distance.