Participate: What I have learned during my weight loss journ

Options
I thought it would be nice if we could all share what we have learned through trial and error during our weight loss experience so far...the good, the bad, the funny...not so funny...feel free to share!

What I have learned during my weight loss journey so far: Food intake is just about everything when it comes to my weight loss. I could run 5 miles. That doesn't mean I can stuff my face with pizza later that day and expect to not gain weight. Just because I exericsed, doesn't mean I've been given a free pass to eat whatever I want. Every calorie counts! Yes friends...I had to learn this after the "why am I not losing weight when I run so much" stage. Hmm...could it have been the half dozen cookies you may have eaten after your run? Hmm... :wink:

Your turn!!

Replies

• kaileen76
    kaileen76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat better when I do exercise in the day. I usually don't want to undo the calorie deficit I caused by exercising. Reversely if I miss a workout I feel like a failure and I eat more than I should because I work on an all or none principal (that is something I had to learn as well)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can't have a cheat day. I can incorporate the foods I like that are somewhat "bad" into my calories, but to have an all out day where I eat what I want and don't count anything I cannot do anymore. It sends me on a downward spiral that is too difficult to recover from.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I have learned that, for me, carbs matter just as much as calories. And that 1-2 pounds a week seems terribly slow while you are living it, but not so slow when you look back over time.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What I've learned during my weight loss journey...
    -it's okay to have the foods I like; it's just how much I eat of them.
    -exercise is not the worst thing in the world.
    -you're gonna have days when you backtrack--as long as you get back up, you're never a failure.
    -it's okay to reward yourself with extravagant techie gadgets when you reach your goals. :D haha.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, and more protein and water are the most important keys to my weight loss.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Even if you plateau for a while or the scale climbs by a pound or two, it will eventually go away. Just stick with it and success will be yours. Check your sodium intake, that makes a big difference. Get plenty of water.
    I eat better now than I ever did.
    Breakfast is very important. I would never eat it before, didn't like what breakfast consisted of. Now I have the same smoothie everyday and look forward to it.
    I eat every couple hours. That really helps so that when I get home from work I am not starving and ready to eat everything in sight.
    It really is about calories in and calories out. Keeping track of them holds you accountable.
    The better I eat, the more I can eat....(healthy eating vs. junk food)
    I like to exercise. I have found things I like doing and look forward to doing them.
    This is not a diet, but a lifestyle change.
    End result...I can do this!!!!!!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I have learned the same thing.

I have also learned that not all calories are equal. Carbs, fat and protein are metabolized at very different rates. So it does matter what kinds of food you eat.

I also learned that natural and organic foods are much better for you: like say Cheerio's compared to oatmeal.

I have learned that not all fats are bad, in fact some are good, even essential.

I have learned to stay away from corn, and products made with any corn byproduct, and animal products fed with corn. Today's bio-engineered corn is evil, and one f the big reasons for so much of our weight problems these days.

I have learned that weighing myself twice a day tells me my weight fluctuates by a few pounds for many reasons throughout the day., but it steadily goes down over time.

But mostly, I have learned to eat healthier as a lifestyle, and form new habits, not just go on a diet until the weight is gone. Which doesn't mean completely staying away from yummy pizza or ice cream. It means use common sense, portion control and not eating them habitually.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Great replies everyone!!! I even learned a few things off of you!
  • VioletDawn22
    Options
    I had been successful at losing 60+ lbs only to put it all back on and then some. What I learned...
    Exercise is so important. It gives you energy and I find that I eat better when I have started my day with a good cardio workout.
    A Food journal is very helpful - it helps you to be accountable and review and refine eating habits.
    Be patient when you hit a plateau ... it's a sign that your body is adjusting to it's new weight...be patient! If the plateau continues for more than a couple of weeks then see if you can refine your eating or kick up the exercise.
    If you "mess" up, get right back on the path of your healthy lifestyle as soon as you can!
    Again, Don't stop exercising - you might need to change it up if your bored, but don't quit!!
    So, for me the journey begins again and I must remind myself of my own lessons learned!