feeling guilty

Options
i try and eat as clean and healthy as possible and i have noticed since eating healthy for so long i do not really crave greasy, fatty, sugary foods any more. to explain before i started here french fries were my absolute favorite food even over cake, cookies, ect. I would eat them all the time. when starting of MFP i would work out more or eat less during the day so i could have some at night. THen i decided that i not only needed to watch my cals but i needed to eat cleaner foods. i have not had a frech fri in about 6 months and the thought of one sounds disgusting. they just do not appeal to me.......Now i eat healthy but do allow myself snacks as well. i love the no sugar added fat free caramel toffee crunch ice cream by blue bunny. i mix 1cup of this with fat free cool whip and some unsalted dry roasted peanuts!!! SOOO good....... but even if i am under my calories i feel bad after eating it(like i should have had something healthy instead) i get bloated and just do not feel good about it. does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    yes :(
  • Yeah, I almost always feel guilty, with whatever I eat. You're not alone.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Of course we do...But how fun is Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie? Should you only eat carrots and lettuce and never have cookies and cream?

Nah...I'll just stick to portion sizes...even Blizzard Oreos have one (it's two by the way)...
  • dknowsbest
    dknowsbest Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the bloating could have to do with the artificial sweeteners in the healthier versions of the junk food you love.

as for feeling bad/guilty...why? are you still losing weight and working towards your goals? if so, then you should feel proud of yourself for finding a healthier alternative to junk food and being able to work towards your goals while enjoying it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I feel physically ill if I indulge too much, but guilt...nope, can't say that I do.
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing lol, I was WAY under my calories count the other day, so I had a regular (sm, like the kids meal ones) cheeseburger from mcdonalds...They used to be a weekness of mine, I could eat a few of them:ohwell: Not only did I feel really guilty after eating it, but I was actually nauses and felt bloated too. :sad: I think my problem is I'm trying really hard to be healtier and I know that wasn't at all healty :sick:. Thing is, this is a lifestlye change thats not gonna happen overnight & I have to change my way of thinking totally. Btw, your lil treat sounds healty and tasty:happy: , lol, a lot healtier than mine:laugh: I think your doing great!!! GOOD LUCK:flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No, I do not associate guilt with food. I think that is a very unhealthy attitude.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Guilt, over food? Save guilt for when you hurt someone, or do something truly wrong. Feel ashamed for your choices, feel embarrassed by them, but not guilt. If your snack makes you feel unwell, why don't you try finding a treat that doesn't make you feel ill? Just a thought. You feel guilty and sick when you eat it, yet you continue to eat it. That does not sound at all enjoyable to me. Nothing tastes that good.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    No, I do not associate guilt with food. I think that is a very unhealthy attitude.
    ^^^YESSSSSSS, So right! Guilt is not the right feeling to have about food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I don't get the guilt and I don't get why other people feel it.

I feel guilt over other things. Like if I called in sick from work when I wasn't, and it was one of those days when everything went wrong there and my coworkers were all frazzled. Or for not visiting my father as much as I should have before he died. Or not getting my cat to the vet on time. Things were my actions or inactions hurt someone else.

Eating something I like does not hurt anyone. It doesn't even hurt me. There's no reason to feel bad about enjoying yourself.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%!!!:laugh: Now I am finding out the thought is better than actually having it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all. I work hard so that I can eat some yummy stuff - mostly some craft beer. Feeling guilty about food sounds unhealthy in a mental sort of way.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    the bloating could have to do with the artificial sweeteners in the healthier versions of the junk food you love.

^^This....along with high amounts of carbs in general. in my opinion, if you really want a sweet treat (or any kind of treat), allow yourself just that -- but in its regular/full-fat/calorie version...but just have a smaller portion. Have it fit into your daily calorie and macros. The nonfat/sugarfree/fatfree stuff is really not a healthy choice overall. Those items are so heavily processed and in order for them to taste good, they fill them with sodium, artificial sweeteners and a bunch of other ingredients that most of us have a hard time pronouncing.