3rd Shifters!

Options
I am a 3rd shifter and find it difficult trying to figure out how to log my foods. I have been going by the clock and when it turns 12 am, that is a new day. I usually just put my meal at work (1:30 am) as my breakfast even though it isn't really breakfast food. I go home and sleep and the meal I eat when I get up is listed as lunch. I have been doing it this way because it is easier to stay on track on my days off.

Anyone else a 3rd shifter having issues trying to log food? Am I doing this correctly or should I be doing it differently? Not sure if it makes a difference with the calories or not.

Thanks!

Replies

• twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    we just had this topic last night...I work 6p-6a and I log my food from the time I wake up til I go to bed...when I wake up and eat breakfast at 4:30p then that's breakfast...it doesn't matter if it's breakfast food or not...I don't worry about midnight being the next day b/c I'm still on the current day
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    3rd shifter here.. I just go back and log it on the previous day as my dinner.. since that is what it is.. I dont think it would matter.. what ever u feel works for u.. I know for me it is hard.. like today I get off at 6 am and then sleep for awhile get up have breakfast and to stay on track about an hour and half later have lunch.. it is not a great shift to try and lose weight

good luck
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts (7pm til 7am.) I eat breakfast when I get home in the morning. I eat dinner when I get up in the afternoon. Another meal around 9pm. Eat again around 1 or 2 am. Sometimes I get 5 meals sometimes 6. I log everything starting with breakfast. It works easier for me. Hope you find your grove.
  • Multistyles
    Options
    3rd shtifter here.. I just go back and log it on the previous day as my dinner.. since that is what it is.. I dont think it would matter.. what ever u feel works for u.. I know for me it is hard.. like today I get off at 6 am and then sleep for awhile get up have breakfast and to stay on track about an hour and half later have lunch.. it is not a great shift to try and lose weight

good luck
    I change my time zone to Hawaii
  • vtempes
    vtempes Posts: 47
    Options
    I log my meals from when I wake up until when I go to bed...each awakening is a new day of logging for me, but I think its all a matter of preference. Best of luck!
  • honeybadger175
    honeybadger175 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also work 6p-6am and I trying to decided if midnight should be my maker for the next day or not...I'm thinking it'll be too confusing since I only work that 3 nights a week and transition to a normal schedule the rest of the week. I agree with twiztedgrl69.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I am a 3rd shifter and find it difficult trying to figure out how to log my foods. I have been going by the clock and when it turns 12 am, that is a new day. I usually just put my meal at work (1:30 am) as my breakfast even though it isn't really breakfast food. I go home and sleep and the meal I eat when I get up is listed as lunch. I have been doing it this way because it is easier to stay on track on my days off.

Anyone else a 3rd shifter having issues trying to log food? Am I doing this correctly or should I be doing it differently? Not sure if it makes a difference with the calories or not.

Thanks!

We just had this convo last night on here, it's really not confusing IMO..

If you sleep for a chunk during the day (I assume you do), then count that as your sleep time like you normally would.

This is my schedule in a 24 hr period:
    Midnight-8am *work* (breakfast and two snacks)
    8-3/4pm- whatever (lunch and dinner)
    5-10/11pm- sleep

Basically midnight to midnight is my day. When I wake up at 11pm I consider that first meal breakfast. It's YOUR log.. there are no rules, do what you want!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I also work 6p-6am and I trying to decided if midnight should be my maker for the next day or not...I'm thinking it'll be too confusing since I only work that 3 nights a week and transition to a normal schedule the rest of the week. I agree with twiztedgrl69.

I have two jobs so I'm switching between a "regular" schedule and 3rd shift, which means some days I go over because of the times but technically I'm not going over so I don't worry about it.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I log my meals from when I wake up until when I go to bed...each awakening is a new day of logging for me, but I think its all a matter of preference. Best of luck!
    This is what I do!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    A day is from when youre awake till when youre asleep

Rename your meals to hours if that helps
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I work part time, two 12 hour shifts a week. So there's two days I'm just up an extra 12 hours. I don't log out for the day until I get home and then I start the new day with breakfast. It keeps me from eating too much at work if its at the end of my calorie day rather than at the beginning. When I've already eaten a full day's food, I tend to behave a little better. It's better than screwing myself for the next day. Either way it's hard.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i log midnight to midnight. I don't consider time of day a determination as to what sort of food I should eat. Just eat good healthy calories and log your 24 hr period.

make it simple- Meal #1 Meal #2 Meal #3 Snack #1 Snack#2 ( i also keep a spot for vitamins/supplements )
  • maepis
    maepis Posts: 51
    Options
    When I started on here I didn't know how to log my foods either due to working overnight but I figured out that, for me, the best way was to do as stated above and log what was supper to the rest of my family (around 5pm meal) as my breakfast. Then my lunch break at night was my lunch, and if I ate when I got home with the family for their breakfast, it was my supper. The name of the meal or which food it is doesn't matter, it's all about the amount of calories and it worked out very well for me. I hope this helps. :)
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30pm - 8am. I changed all my times for my meals/snacks and log in that way.

12am-3:59am
    4am-7:59pm
    8am-11:59am
    12pm-3:59pm
    4pm-7:59pm
    8pm-11:59pm
  • linmarc30
    linmarc30 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm-5am. I eat breakfast when I get up at like 1pm and have lunch around 530-6pm and dinner about 9-10pm. I have snacks inbetween. I log it from the time I get up till the time I go to bed. To me that is my day, I just have a little different hours then the 'normal' people...lol! Good luck!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but you can also change the names of the meal times in your settings. I would log from the time you get up to the time you go to bed. That sounds like a regular day to me.