eating before a morning workout ? pls help !!!

Options
Hi. I do my gym session in the morning after iv dropped my daughter at school as it is the only time I have. I train between an hour and an hour and a half. I love 2 sweat so I do HIIT (high intensity cardio) lift weights (as heavy as I can go). The problem is that before I could just have my coffee then go workout. Now I'm finding if I don't have something to eat before I can't Make it through the workout. I'm not hungry enough to have a whole meal and I'm scared that ill just burn what iv eaten instead of fat. So my question is what is a good snack to have before a workout. And just to make things harder I'm a vegan so not meat cheese eggs dairy or whey :s help !!!!

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake!
    I always try to have at least an EAS shake before I get myself into gear!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yup, if you work out fasted, your stamina will definitely take a hit. Have you tried bananas?
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A banana with some peanut butter is my go-to. I eat it about 30 minutes before and it keeps me going without giving me a side cramp.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer tells me to have a banana first thing and some water of course!
  • Jbrudy
    Jbrudy Posts: 2
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe myself but it looks interesting and might hit the spot more than a shake can.

http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love refried beans. 1/2 cup should do it. Carbs and protein. Vegan.
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love refried beans. 1/2 cup should do it. Carbs and protein. Vegan. Probably 45 minutes to an hour before.
  • MelissaWest12
    Options
    Per my trainer: if you are just doing cardio then do it on an empty stomach and then eat about 30 mins to an hr afterwards (no fruit, your body with store the sugar). If you are going to be weight lifting then you need protein. For my weight lifting days, I have 2 egg whites and a slice of toast about 30 mins before working out. Also make sure you are drink a lot of water. I drink 64oz of water before I workout, 32oz while working out, and then I continue drinking about another 94oz throughout the day.
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe myself but it looks interesting and might hit the spot more than a shake can.

http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/

I am gonna have to try this one...it looks really interesting, plus a pretty good pre-workout mix of macronutrients!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter before a morning workout.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    banana!
  • lisakatelaunspach
    Options
    Wow u guys are awesome !!! Thanx so much 4 all ur great suggestions :D tday I just had toast and avo but I'm off 2 the shop now 4 peanut butter and bananas :D and its banana season here now !
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can never workout w/o eating something or like you say I cannot make it through the workout. I choose between a banana or ww toast and pb.
    I hope you figure it out for yourself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well, worrying about how much fat your going to burn in 1 exercise session is like wondering how much muscle is built in 1 weight session.......forgetaboutit, your goal primarily is to hit your daily calories. Saying that it would be better to take 1 minute in your situation and get a shake with some fruit and milk into you.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Bananas for me. They don't need any preparation and are quick to eat. They don't weigh me down during the workout like some foods can.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you will not burn what you've just eaten, because it is still in your stomach. i usually eat 1-3 hours before the gym. you need some energy before you go to the gm, IMO. try different thing, be it a protein shake, a granola bar and some fruit, or oatmeal.
  • lisakatelaunspach
    Options
    Thanx guys :D. Oatmeal is a bit much 4 me so early in the morn. I only have maybe 30mins 2 an hour between waking up and getting 2 gym. Most of the posts said bananas lol so I guess I'm gonna start there :D thanx again !