how do I use cleaning my house as exercise?

Options
I am constantly cleaning something in my house but I haven't found a way to use this as exercise? Have you used cleaning your house as a form of exercise and if so how did you calculate calories burned?

Replies

• twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    there's a selection under cardio that has cleaning either light or vigorously
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It is listed in cardio. I do not count mine. Mine is in my lifestyle activity level. Only time I count mine is when I do something way out of the ordinary like shampooing carpets where furniture is moved and all. There are post on here with other comments on this subject that might be more helpful if you use the search. But that is my idea on the cleaning anyway. Sorry I cant help more
  • Aussieheidi
    Options
    Hiya

I use the below website to work out how many calories are burnt as per by body weight - Hope it helps :smile:

http://www.bitterpoison.com/calories-exercise/
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would not count this unless you are sweating and your heart rate is up.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I only count heavy duty cleaning as exercise. The stuff I do daily I don't count as exercise....whether it be light cleaning, shopping, walking my dog in the yard. I record what makes my heart rate increase significantly enough to be considered cardio. Doing the dishes doesn't do that for me. However, when steam cleaning the carpets or cleaning the windows I do count it. When I do those things I wear my HRM so I am accurate. If it makes me break out into a sweat I count it. If it is just something in my normal everyday routine...the simple stuff, I don't count it. Its way past my bedtime, so I hope this makes sense and helps you out. LOL!!

Angela
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i only use it if i doing extra out of the ordinary type of cleaning. I helped my friend clean the house she was moving into (scrubbing walls, carpets, etc.) so i logged it but i dont usually do it as exercise.

When i do i use the one under exercise, i htink they have two but if u have an hrm that would be mroe accurate
  • branflake5
    Options
    It is listed in cardio. I do not count mine. Mine is in my lifestyle activity level. Only time I count mine is when I do something way out of the ordinary like shampooing carpets where furniture is moved and all. There are post on here with other comments on this subject that might be more helpful if you use the search. But that is my idea on the cleaning anyway. Sorry I cant help more

i agree unless i am doing some hardcore scrubbing i don't count my cleaning either. but i know alot of ppl do log it under cardio
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i log it about once a week when i do big cleaning or if i sweat while doing some cleaning but usualy i dont for normal daily tasks
  • Mlpope
    Mlpope Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WEAR A PEDOMETER AND USE YOUR STEPS TO CONVERT TO CALORIES BURNED
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Put your daily activity as sedentary, then you can log the calories in the cardiovascular exercise section.
    Hope this helps.:smile:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would not do that, if I were you.
  • ifrog3n1
    ifrog3n1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do count cleaning as exercise. In the exercise data bank there is Cleaning, light, moderate effort & Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort. This seems to be an ongoing debate on MFP. As for me, in the beginning, i was unable to do much cleaning at all, walking, etc. because of my arthritis. Therefore, i have included cleaning in my exercising. For me, cleaning includes, walking, bending, reaching, etc. If that isn't exercise of light to moderate effort, then i don't know what is. Before i came to MFP, i had lost 40 pounds just by being able to move & do things i normally couldn't do. Obviously, that light to moderate cleaning paid off. To me, movement is movement. So, to each his own, but i include it. Best of luck to you. <><
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It depends on your lifestyle. The database has categories for light/moderate cleaning, and heavy duty cleaning. If you have a sedientary lifestyle, illness that keeps you from being very active, and/or don't do much cleaning, then I believe it is okay to count it as exercise. Me personally, I log it as exercise when I do things that are not part of my typical household chores, or if I work up a sweat. I'm becoming more active now, but still, I go hard when I do my housework, so for that reason, I log it. Next year when I am stronger, I will probably only log heavy duty housework.