I heard it was a myth...

Options
2»

Replies

• SummerFun2011
    Options

Okay? Sure.

Overkill? Maybe. (Depending on how much you're taking in the rest of the day).

Ah okay. Im only taking in about 70g because I apparently am not a fan of any source of protein. So i thought it would make life easier to get it all at one time and out of the way. I understand though! I proabably should spread it out :flowerforyou:

If you're relying on shakes for the majority of your protein intake, I would recommend getting something other than straight whey.
    It's best to get your protein from a variety of sources, since each has unique nutritional benefits.

Trueprotein.com has a product called "Team Skip" which has whey, casein, and egg protein.

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=43&pid=534

You have a good point! Like I said I think my taste buds work against me on protein. Cannot stand most meats (besides pot roast), hate eggs, and dairy gives me stomach aches :sad: Good thing I came to the boards for advice though!

That link is amazing by the way :smile: very interesting! Will that help me with the variety part then?

I would still recommend mostly whole foods, but it would be an improvement.

Do you eat fish or shellfish?

I like crab and tuna occasionally. Unfortunately we don't have good seafood here in the Midwest! I like lunchmeat like ham and turkey but there is so much sodium that it doesn't even seem fair :laugh: We do have very good steak here though, I have seen many people on here avoid red meat though, is there a reason for this? I don't really like chicken, torkey, or pork, but who doesn't like a burger right? :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    No reason to avoid red meat.

Also, sodium is a necessity for our bodies, especially for those who exercise reguarly. If you are worried, you can up your potassium. It's just demonised around here because of people who have a high sodium day, jump on the scale the next day and low and behold they weigh more. (water weight)
  • I haven't heard of this, but I would probably reccomend aksing a trainer or dietician, or even your MD about it, they would have the most reliabel answer, and could probably help you in figuring how and when to consume your protein so that your stomach doesn't get overwhelmed with having to break it down.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No reason to avoid red meat.

Also, sodium is a necessity for our bodies, especially for those who exercise reguarly. If you are worried, you can up your potassium. It's just demonised around here because of people who have a high sodium day, jump on the scale the next day and low and behold they weigh more. (water weight)

Agree with this. I eat red meat all the time :D

And i am trying not to watch sodium. Not weighing in for about a month so i don't pay attention to it now :P
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is no hard fast rule to the maximum amount of protein your body can take, it all depends on how much muscle mass you have (the more muscle mass, the more protein you can handle).

That being said, people are taking way too much protein (in my opinion). It is a great carbohydrate alternative, but its still an energy source, and what happens when your body no longer needs the energy? Well if it was a carbohydrate it would store it as body fat, but since protein is really hard to break down into its building blocks, your body just gives up and sends it out of your body. Hence, your spending a lot of money on a fiber alternative... If you want to feel full, eat something high in fiber, you'll save a lot of money and end up eating less calories.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a stomach or digestive condition, your stomach can and will digest everything that hydrochloric acid can break down in the time its in your stomach. IE, everything but insoluble fiber, fillers, and non food items like coins you accidentally swallowed when you were a kid.

Yes, even gum, actually gets digested.

When not building muscle, an adult human really only needs (your body can always find a way to use more, but you only NEED) the protein equivalent of 2 oz of meat. I haven't unpacked the book I read that in, so I can't site the source, but multiple studies have established that as the lower threshold for a healthy protein intake.

The only problems you'll have eating "too much" protein is your sweat might smell like pee because of the amonia your body produces as a byproduct of breaking the protein down, and as mentioned earlier, it will change the smell of your gas.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OK this might seem a bit ignorant but all this talk about protein etc ... why not just eat a balanced diet with healthy nutritious food. Why are so many people taken in by the Billion £/$ industries which have convinced so many that food alone is not adequate and we have to substitute what we eat with highly processed "shakes" or pills. I am sorry but just make healthy choices. There is so much good food around - I watch the calories, and try to bulk out my meals with fruit and veg. I do not examine any of the nutrition other than fat content which I do not let go above 5% fat per 100g. And that decision is because I have found that eating low fat foods controls my colitis.