Partially insulting NSV.

Options

Replies

• AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I constantly come across people who question me regarding my weight loss. (Either that or they dont mention it at all). People dont seem to know what to say. Often I think they are just jealous, but after all our hard workand dedication, working towards becoming healthy and fit, I think people should think a bit more about what they are saying.
    I have worked in my current job for 10 years, in that time no-one I work with has ever seen me at my 'healthy' weight. They have difficulty with change but to constantly ask if I am 'still' trying to lose weight or 'how much more are you going to lose', could be very psychologically unnerving for someone who is not strong (thankfully not me).
    Often I think is just jealously. I feel amazing and to be able to buy fantastic size 10 (UK) clothes, look in the mirror and feel 'normal', and like how I look, in still unbelievable to me.

Please 'be strong and carry on' looking and feeling fantastic and healthy!
  • Cassycat
    Cassycat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HAH! <3
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I posted my pic on facebook after getting down to 169 from 248. I was told I was to thin and that I was taking this thing to far and maybe I was OCD. I thought WOW I didn't know the abreviation for dedication was OCD.

My mouth dropped open when I read this...some people can b soo rude! Amazing job on ur weight loss!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've had my share of negative comments too..they r just jealous haters..be proud of your progress you look amazin!
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think its better than getting "when are you due?" When you're not pregnant. Lol

I've got this before. It's not a good feeling.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When your clothes aren't swollowing you alive I bet you will get more compliments. Forget those rude inconsiderate people.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    oh bummer, that hurtful. its just cuz they are not used to seeing you thinnner. im sorry your feelings are hurt. maybe since they didnt know you were trying to be healthier (well who would advertise they are on a diet? lol) they are just shocked. sometimes illness is what causes weight loss. but ther are better ways to talk to you about it. im sure you look lovely. xoxo
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    I would try and not take it wrong...they are not used to you at this new weight. My in-laws pretty much said the same thing to me after not seeing me for a few months. They said I needed to gain weight; which, of course, I can easily achieve.
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find this totally annoying. I lost nearly 40lbs but i'm still a size 14 (uk size) some 12's fit me, BMI borders on 25. People keep saying 'dont over do it' and ' i think you have lost enough'. Drives me nuts. So in the end i stopped dieting for a while to let them get used to seeing me this weight. Have now started again and not mentioning it to any one. Why cant people just stop being negitive. I was always thought if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all :)
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have lost a total of 65 pounds and work in an office environment. Clothes aren't cheap and I am not at my goal weight so I have put off buying new clothes. People comment all the time. It always starts with, wow you have lost lots of weight and always ends with a crack about my clothes. Keep up the good work!
  • Babushka_Dolly
    Babushka_Dolly Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, back handed compliments confuse me!
    My friend said "Wow, you look different, you look much prettier today than you usualy do" ... ih thanks
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It always amazes me the number of people who can't just compliment someone and leave it at that. Wow you're looking great. Done.

I can't believe so many people have been asked if they're pregnant. Personally I wouldn't ask a darn thing unless I was 100% sure they were pregnant, and that'd probably be when they were like 8.5 months pregnant. Otherwise, I'd keeping my mouth shut. Harder to look like a fool if you don't say anything.
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. It happens to many people who lose weight. My sister lost 82 lbs and her hubby told her she looks sick and old, some of her friends told her to stop losing that she looked sick. Believe me, she did not. She was about 130 lbs at 5 ' tall. She looked so great. Spectacular and she felt on top of the world. Same happened to another sister. People haven't told me I look sick when I've lost just that they didn't want me to lose anymore. Just go with your realistic goals and don't worry about it. they will get used to the new you
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It's probably mostly the baggy clothes. Once you can get some that fit better it probably won't look as obvious. I used to go to a uniform place when I had to wear them and they were expensive. Now I see Walmart and places like that carry them as well. (Sure now that I don't wear them.) ha
  • msterlitz
    Options
    When I lost 60 lbs a few years ago and went from a size 18 (USA) to a size 9/10 (USA). I would constantly be told "you don't need to lose any more weight, you look good how you are" or asked "are you STILL trying to lose weight?" My reply would either be "well, you haven't seen be naked" or "I'm not TRYING to lose weight, I'm just eating healthy and losing weight is the side effect".
  • wannababyH
    Options
    Craigslist is a good place to look for new scrubs.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Check out the GOOD WILL, the one in my area has scrubs CHEAP!!! Do you sew? or know someone who can take them in for you?

Keep up the good work!!!
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    I own only 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants that are actually my current size. The rest are way too big or baggy.

I went from a size 40 waist and size XL shirts to a size 32 waist and size L shirts.

I hear it all the time.. look at you skinny boy. I hate the word skinny and thin. I would rather hear toned or built. But these over sized clothes look ridiculous. lol

When your clothes fit properly it creates a more attractive overall picture. This is what I have been told anyways.

Someone in my office told me I was looking "trim." I'll take that. It's definitely better than "skinny"... which just sounds negative. When I hear "skinny" I automatically think of 5'11" high fashion runway models who weigh 95lbs.

Oh and just curious if anyone is a Bill Engvall fan?

"Your clothes are getting big. Are you losing weight?"
    "No, I let everything out to give me more room so I can easily gain even more weight!"
    "Here's your sign!"

LOL :)
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have friend in work who's always giving me backhanded compliments. I don't think she realises she does it. I know she means well but it drives me mad.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Take it with a grain of salt... I like to think of it more along the lines that they like "YOU" and it doesn't matter to them if you are 190 or 148!

On the flip side, I think that there is such a thing as losing too much weight (not that I am implying this to you, as I do not know you), but I have said the same thing to my husband. My husband was doing a lot of Long Distance Cycling a couple of years ago, and trained for and completed the Furnace Creek 508 twice as part of a 2 man team (they take turns over 8 legs of a 508.5 mile race from Santa Clarita, CA to Twenty-Nine Palms, CA. While he was training for this, my husband got down to 130-132 lbs. He is only 5'5", and usually weighed anywhere between 140-150 lbs. I can't tell you how many people would ask me if he was ill, on Chemo, had cancer, etc., when he got down to 132. And to be honest, he did not look healthy. His face was very thin and sallow. I know that I have a hard time thinking that this could EVER be a problem for me, but I think that everyone needs to find what works for them, and if our loved ones comment on us losing too much, that we take a step back and really evaluate if they are saying that to be "nice", or if we need to find a balance.

Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!