diet coke, sugar free desserts etc.

Options
Surely there must be a catch to these sort of things? I put diet coke into my diary and it says no calories, but there must be other effects of having these kinds of things? However, I do realise that because that even though it may show up as 0 or little calories,I shouldn't have too much of it..

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    *awaits the inevitable "Aspartame is poison!1!!" hysterics crowd to show up...*

As with anything, as long as you aren't taking them to excess, it's all good :)
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    :) sweet, it can be quite deceiving, sometimes I think "ooh! no calories, I can have more" but then I think, there must be a catch! But diet coke is better than normal coke, and it's always good to have something sweet every so often :)
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options

hahaha !
  • Tjantik
    Tjantik Posts: 16
    Options
    I am not sure that this is true, but my Dr a long time ago said that sugar-free -anything- is like a place holder. It doesn't have the calories but it causes your body to still crave the sweet flavor. Your brain thinks it's getting the sugar so it will continue to cause you to want it. He said the best bet is to go through the two weeks or so of withdrawal so that your brain doesn't want ti anymore.

It worked for me for several things. I loved chocolate but no longer crave it. I stopped drinking soda 20 years ago and still don't crave it. I don't eat meat very often and don't crave it. It sounds good once in awhile, but I never 'have' to have it anymore.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Hey don't you know aspartame causes cancer?!?! Oh wait, so does breathing.
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree... it's fine in moderation. But I find it seems to make me feel hungrier, for some reason. Not sure if anyone else feels that way. I recommend the diet A & W (with the aged vanilla)...soooo yummy!!
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options

basically... lol
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options

TOO FUNNY!

I'm a Dr. Pepper 10 girl myself...
  • Clare_429
    Options
    I have a serious diet pepsi/pepsi max problem.

At one point I was drinking 2-3 cans of Irn Bru per day and when I started on Weight Watchers I figured I better cut it out - so I cut right down and replaced it partially with diet pepsi until I convinced myelf that I liked it.

Now I'm hooked. If I don't watch I can drink two 600ml bottles per day at work and then go home and have a glass with my dinner. I'm now working on replacing it with water except 1 can with lunch and maybe a glass with dinner, hopefully cutting this down to just dinner.

It's clearly not good for me, but it's better than Irn Bru so I'm going in the right direction
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Umm ...well maybe, but as far as I'm aware breathing is essential for life ... aspartame isn't!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i think the thing to keep in mind is that when you eat something "sugar free" or a diet soda, you are have replaced that with eating a healthy calorie food. a better choice than a sugar-free cookie and a diet coke would be water & an apple. but every now and then, it's fine. after all, a sugar-free cookie & a diet soda is better than a bag of Oreos and a "real" Coke, which is what i used to eat every few days! :wink:
  • ShellyRae7
    ShellyRae7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are right you shouldn't have too much of it. I have known a lot of people who have gained weight drinking the sugar subsitute drinks and desserts. All sugar subs should be avoided. There are lots of articles on the net about the effects of sugar subs. You are best to eat the regular items and in moderation and count the calories. I think that's the big trick, since it's 0, we tend to reward ourselves with more. I'm all about quanity, so diet and sugar free items are not my choice anymore. I just skip it all together. I might have a diet coke once a month as a treat.

Good luck Smiley! It's a hard long road we are on, but we can do it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's clearly not good for me
    Clearly?
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that this is true, but my Dr a long time ago said that sugar-free -anything- is like a place holder. It doesn't have the calories but it causes your body to still crave the sweet flavor. Your brain thinks it's getting the sugar so it will continue to cause you to want it. He said the best bet is to go through the two weeks or so of withdrawal so that your brain doesn't want ti anymore.

I've read this and heard this also, but from my own experience, I have not found it to be accurate at all.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options

Umm ...well maybe, but as far as I'm aware breathing is essential for life ... aspartame isn't!

lol i think he was being sarcastic.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    You are right you shouldn't have too much of it. I have known a lot of people who have gained weight drinking the sugar subsitute drinks and desserts. All sugar subs should be avoided. There are lots of articles on the net about the effects of sugar subs. You are best to eat the regular items and in moderation and count the calories. I think that's the big trick, since it's 0, we tend to reward ourselves with more. I'm all about quanity, so diet and sugar free items are not my choice anymore. I just skip it all together. I might have a diet coke once a month as a treat.

Good luck Smiley! It's a hard long road we are on, but we can do it.

great advice!
  • Clare_429
    Options
    It's clearly not good for me
    Clearly?

Clearly.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet coke, more than I should but I could drink water instead...

But as my bf said the other day, water just doesn't satisfy the thirst!

I know I know water will satisfy the thirst but that little bit of flavouring and that fizz just makes it taste so much better, as long as you aren't drinking 14 pints a day (as I read about someone else the other day...) then you should be fine :)

P.s I can't drink the 'normal stuff' you can taste the sugar in it and I don't like it!
  • ShellyRae7
    ShellyRae7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tjantik - I have heard that too from other health professionals. And it all makes sense.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet coke, more than I should but I could drink water instead...

yeah i usually make sure I have my 8 glasses a day and then I'll have like 1 can with lunch once a week or so.. :)

I eventually get sick of drinking water , need some sort of flavour like you said