What were the hardest things to cut back on?

Options
Im just curious... Im just starting my weight loss journey, but can already see some things that are going to be HARD to cut back on. I dont believe in deprivaton AT ALL... Im more of an "all things in moderation" type of believer. BUT... I do know I have some bad habits that need to drastically reduce. What things were the hardest for you to cut back on?

For me it's going to be:

SODA. I love soda. I always have. Ive cut myself back to about a 12oz can a couple of times a week... but I still CRAVE it all the time. I wake up wanting a soda, I want one with breakfast, with lunch. It's just so addictive and it's been difficult.

SNACKING on unhealthy things. I tend to want sweet or salty snacks about mid afternoon ... and I work in a hospital so I have to fight the urge to head to the gift shop for a candy bar or potato chips. Instead Ive been bringing my lunch with a yogurt w/ fruit and granola or some raw veggies to try and munch on those. But they just don't TASTE like chocolate ... lol. ;)

PORTON sizes. I was raised poor, and we didnt waste food. We finished our plates before we left the table. Ive had a very difficult time learning what proper "portions" are and learning to stop when Im full, even if my plate isn't empty yet. I'm having a very hard time "re-teaching" myself .... that "full" doesn't have to mean "stuffed." I also try to utilize a to-go box at restaurants and try to take at least half of my food home with me for another meal - since most restaurants are WAY bigger than an actual portion size.

What were/are your hardest struggles with food/drinks? What did you do, or are you doing to overcome those hurdles? Maybe your solutions will help someone else! :)

Replies

• PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • akharris715
    Options
    Hands down CHOCOLATE!!:heart:
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes, Oreos, & WHATABURGER!
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    WINE. A really nice glass of Shiraz-Grenache. Or Pinot. Or Merlot. Or a Melbac.

See?
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For me definitely controlling my consumption of refined carbs and sugary foods. I do eat carbs but I have to be really careful not to go overboard or it makes me crazy-hungry and more likely to slip up with my eating.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Chocolates :-)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Pizza. by far.
  • BrowneJen
    BrowneJen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    :smooched: :blushing: Sorry...screwed up!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Ohmigod, This!! ^^^
  • Nanou1975
    Nanou1975 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My morning ritual of a Tim orton's B.E.L.T. with sausage WITH the hashbrown and an extra large French vanilla capuccino.

It's hard not to drop by when I get to the office.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I just think of my calories as my daily currency. If i want to spend 450 cals on that dessert, i can, but then i have to think that's 450 less i'll have later on, so is it really worth it? It makes things much easier to bear if i think of it like that. :)
  • skinnyquinny84
    skinnyquinny84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chips!!! I applaud whoever can stop at the serving size and put the bag away.

And candy or treats when we watch movies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Portions.

I really like healthy food so avoiding the bad stuff isn't usually a problem. The problem is that I REALLY like healthy foods so I want to eat too much of them.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My 3x week habit of giant steak burritos at the taco truck near work. Mmmmmmm......giant steak burritos......
  • haley_b_87
    Options

This!
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    they say you crave what you typically eat. I crave soda and chocolate. my two faves. I dont deprive myself if I need it. It can set you back some, but dont let it consume your life because you can certainly fall back if you do. I just say "one day at a time"
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I agree with Chocolate!!! The Halloween candy has been taunting me the past few weeks! :)
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    Going out to eat is hands down my hardest battle! I can't tell you how many times I think about hitting happy hour with the girls and plowing thru tons of appetizers and drinks! lol
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    Diet coke was my hardest to cut back on. And chocolate but I cut those out very easily when I cut out all refined sugar and now I do crave these things BUT when I try them now, they taste nasty! It was amazing! I cut out diet coke for maybe a week and I decided I really wanted one and was going to treat myself, first sip and I'm like ewwww it tastes like pure sugar! Then at a birthday party I didn't want to be rude so I had a piece of cake, it tasted like it was nothing but pure granulated sugar!

So my point is stay strong and maybe eat clean for a week and you may not even want the crap even in moderation!