Looking for good strength training dvd recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am a frothing convert to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength stuff but his DVD demonstrating proper form of squats/deadlifts/press/power clean is on my puffy heart please-oh-please wish list.

so far, this is the only DVD recommendation that makes sense.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    True strength training isn't really a DVD sort of thing.

Not true. You can get great strength training from dvds, like P0X, etc. I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and really like it.

P90X and ChaLean Extreme are both better classified as cardio/circuit training, not strength training.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Not true. You can get great strength training from dvds, like P0X, etc. I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and really like it.

As GME, Jeff92se, yummy, Ninerbuff, etc (sorry - I can't scroll up too the other posters) said, these are conditioning or circuit training, as opposed to strength training.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm probably mistaken but isn't your zumba class at a gym? I can't be a dvd since the teacher talked to you.

Maybe it was an interactive video. This IS 2011 after all.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but by the definition of circuit training vs strength training, I have to disagree with my friends and say that Chalean Extreme is a fairly good strength training program (there is one dvd in the program I would classify as circuit training). Although the CLX dvds are called “circuits” they are definitely not circuit training.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

As GME, Jeff92se, yummy, Ninerbuff, etc (sorry - I can't scroll up too the other posters) said, these are conditioning or circuit training, as opposed to strength training.
    HUH?? On the days that the routine is only weights, how is that not strength and how am I getting stronger??
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

How is it not strength training on the days the routine is only weights, and I'm not sayin 2 lb Barbie weights?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Seriously? I'm confused. If Cathe STS DVDs aren't strength training what are they?

Not all DVDs are 2 pound pink dumbbells.

Do those DVD's demonstrate proper form, then tell you to click pause and do some weight lifting? If so then it's potentially on the right track.

When I think workout DVD I think of aerobics.

Strength training is more something you learn and then apply yourself, at your own pace. A strength training DVD seems almost as weird to me as a "diet dvd", that shows a person on the screen sitting before a plate of chicken and brocolli.. and they say, "now take out that trusty knife and fork! ok stick the fork in the chicken! good! and breathe! now slice the chicken with the knife! if you can't do this properly yet, just try your best, you'll eventually get it! don't forget to breathe! ok, now lift up the fork and bring towards the mouth! alright! and chew! and chew! and chew!"

Seriously, Cathe's STS is exactly what you described. She explains proper form, tells you to lift at your own pace, changes the weights on her barbell right along w/you, lifts slowly and precisely w/you, tells you to pause and get water, stretch, etc...
    I've lifted heavier to her DVDs than I ever did @ the gym....And I lift HEAVY. If you have the *right* equipment at home, DVDs are just plain cheaper...

BUT, on that note, I will agree that most of the DVDs out there (even the ones that use dumbbells) are more aerobic than anything...but then again, many women are still scared to lift heavy enough, so it caters to the needs of its customers.

To the OP: depending on what you mean by "strength training" (like you just want cardio work w/dumbells? or you want to get stronger? add size to your muscles?) you can't really go wrong w/Cathe's vid's she has quite a variety that has any of those options.
  • janetmp10
    Options
    ChaLean extreme is great! I will finish 60 days of it on Friday! I have lost 7 lbs and over 10 inches. It IS strength training :). www.janetsfitnessblog.blogspot.com shows my 30 day results!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm probably mistaken but isn't your zumba class at a gym? I can't be a dvd since the teacher talked to you.

Nope, it's not. It's at a community center. You pay for a monthly pass, which is cheaper than gyms in my region for three months.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their insight and recommendations, even the ones with the snarky comments. You know there has to be one (or several) in every group.

I do have 5, 10 and 20 lb dumbbells/weights. I've done the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt, which uses all weights, targets larger muscle groups, etc. It has worked but I'm looking for something a little more difficult.

Thanks again.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Nope, it's not. It's at a community center. You pay for a monthly pass, which is cheaper than gyms in my region for three months.

I'll assume there's no weights in there. I used to work out from a community center and that one actually had a free weight/machine room. With the weights you have, I think you're going to have to just review different exercises and figure out what you can do with what you have. 20lb dumbells doesn't seem like alot with a squat. But when you do a power clean to a squat to an overhead press, those 20lb dumbells suddenly are signficant.
  • stacybee14
    stacybee14 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Seriously? I'm confused. If Cathe STS DVDs aren't strength training what are they?

Not all DVDs are 2 pound pink dumbbells.

Do those DVD's demonstrate proper form, then tell you to click pause and do some weight lifting? If so then it's potentially on the right track.

When I think workout DVD I think of aerobics.

Strength training is more something you learn and then apply yourself, at your own pace. A strength training DVD seems almost as weird to me as a "diet dvd", that shows a person on the screen sitting before a plate of chicken and brocolli.. and they say, "now take out that trusty knife and fork! ok stick the fork in the chicken! good! and breathe! now slice the chicken with the knife! if you can't do this properly yet, just try your best, you'll eventually get it! don't forget to breathe! ok, now lift up the fork and bring towards the mouth! alright! and chew! and chew! and chew!"

Seriously, Cathe's STS is exactly what you described. She explains proper form, tells you to lift at your own pace, changes the weights on her barbell right along w/you, lifts slowly and precisely w/you, tells you to pause and get water, stretch, etc...
    I've lifted heavier to her DVDs than I ever did @ the gym....And I lift HEAVY. If you have the *right* equipment at home, DVDs are just plain cheaper...

BUT, on that note, I will agree that most of the DVDs out there (even the ones that use dumbbells) are more aerobic than anything...but then again, many women are still scared to lift heavy enough, so it caters to the needs of its customers.

To the OP: depending on what you mean by "strength training" (like you just want cardio work w/dumbells? or you want to get stronger? add size to your muscles?) you can't really go wrong w/Cathe's vid's she has quite a variety that has any of those options.

Another shout-out for Cathe Friedrich's STS series here. I'm doing it right now and it's simply awesome. You'll need more equipment than you currently have, but you can often find free weights, barbells, etc. at thrift stores or on Craigslist. If you don't want to commit to the STS series (it's a 36-DVD set), Cathe has some other fantastic strength training DVDs. I started with her Pyramid Upper & Lower Body DVD and really loved it as well, and I haven't done it but I know a lot of people like her STS Total Body DVD. Check out her website (www.cathe.com) - you can preview clips of all her videos there. She has a ton of them!

As for non-Cathe options, I've also done Gin Miller's Seriously Strong and Barbell Blast, both of which were decent. Good luck to you! Strength training is definitely an important part of any fitness routine! :)