Going Grocery Shopping - What to get?

Options
Alright, tonight I am going grocery shopping and I need advice on a couple of things:

I need some yummy and healthy, low calorie snacks that I can keep in my desk at work (e.g. does not require refrigeration)

I need some new, easy recipes for dinner that don't involve fish (i'm not a fan of fish)

I also need to know a good brand of power bars or energy beans or whatever for running longer distances.

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I keep nuts (almonds usually) in my desk drawer.
    Do you have access to a fridge at all?

check out www.skinnytaste.com for some easy, low cal meals.

For my long runs I like Honey Stinger chews. I've also used JellyBelly sportbeans.
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    Hummus! It's the best veggie dip ever!
  • filmfanatic29
    Options
    Nuts (almonds, walnuts) are always a good choice. I also like dry cereal; Honey Nut Cheerios usually taste pretty good as a snack. I also like raisins, Cliff bars, trail mix, or freeze dried fruit :)
  • jule_sea
    Options
    Trader Joes sells a high fiber and protein bar that has about 120 calories in it. They taste amazing and are made of only good stuff.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Whole wheat pretzels are good.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For snacks, I like apples, raisens, cocoa roasted almonds, trail mix

Easy Healthy Dinner- Chicken breast, salsa, and a can of beans in the crockpot on low seasoned with chili powder
  • fen813
    fen813 Posts: 5
    Options
    Almonds are filling and nutritious.
  • LovesNoodles
    Options
    for dinner ground turkey is a staple at my place!
    I use it to make tacos, lettuce wraps and meat loaf! :)
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the 100 calorie packs of cookies, crackers, Pepridge farm gold fish etc? They are great to keep around and you can usually find either sweet or salty snacks in these packs.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    E-Mealz for dinner. it's 5 bucks a month. It gives you a 5 day food plan for dinner (low fat, low carb, gluten free, etc) and gives you a shopping list for the store you choose. I've used it for over a year and saved tons of money and lost weight. My dinners are under 40 bucks.
    Just google e-mealz.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Apples, oranges, bananas, etc. don't need refrigeration and are healthy unprocessed foods. Raw nuts (no salt added) are also a good choice. I don't eat this but Laughing cow cheese on triscuits is a good snack. No refrigeration required. If you have access to a microwave Orville redenbacher 100 calorie popcorn bags (kettle corn is yummy) is also another option. There is also peanut butter preportioned pkgs. (Jif) that is out there now. Goes good with anything.

Chicken and turkey are good dinner options with salad, broccoli or any other green veggie. (Lean and green). I like Dr. Praeger's California veggie burgers too. I get them at Costco's. They are so much better than Boca burgers.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    I keep nuts and dried cereal at my work place regularly.

Breakfast ..depends.

I have recently prepared my fridge and cupboards with health conscious foods now that I have started my journey into a more healthy ddoubleu. I also have a plan for when I am out. I know of two local supplement stores (or the gym where I have a membership but NEVER go to) :indifferent: lol that offer homemade healthy choices. For instance protein pancakes, oatmeal, shakes, a large variety of fresh fruit etc.

Everyday, I pack a little lunch cooler and load it up with mini carrots, cucumber slices, mini tomoatoes, grapes, pieces of chicken or fish, a sliced avocado, apple, banana ..etc. You get the picture.

When I go to the store, I like to perimeter shop. I am a fan of any and everything that is fresh.
  • timmypeace
    timmypeace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In the mornings for a snack I bring some fruit. Then in the afternoon I usually have some almonds and green tea. I say check out Whole Food or Trader Joes for a power bar. I know there are some good options out there. Try and keep it natural. Don't want anything with a bunch of crap in it!

Options for snacks:

greek yogurt
    homemade granola bars (lots of recipes out there)
    fruit
    veggies and hummus
    nuts
    graham cracker with peanut butter
    edamame

Just a few ideas for you!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I keep nuts (almonds usually) in my desk drawer.
    Do you have access to a fridge at all?

check out www.skinnytaste.com for some easy, low cal meals.

For my long runs I like Honey Stinger chews. I've also used JellyBelly sportbeans.

I have access to a fridge, but not easily. I can keep my lunch in there, but not really snacks.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I keep fruit at my desk, apples, pears, bananas kiwi and cashews and almonds. I also keep a jar of almond butter, it says it should be refrigerated after opening but I don't and it hasn't gone bad on me.