Starving yourself

Options
So, since I started on this site, I have been reading friends food diaries to get ideas for foods that I can eat. But over the past few days I realized something a little almost upsetting and disouraging.....a lot of people aren't eating nerly enough.......for example I have seen daily calorie goals set for 1,500/day and people taking in under 900....that is DANGEROUSLY low!!!! I know I am not a doctor by any means, but the bare miinimum a person should be taking in is 1,200, which, unfortionately, is my daily goal. Anything under that will throw your body into starvation mode, basically your body will begin to store anything you put into it due to the sheer bare minimum amount of food your ingesting.

I am not trying to play mom or tell anyone how to live their lives and such, but, if your calorie goal is 1,500, that's what you should be putting into your body, or at least close to it, ESPECIALLY if your doing daily regular excercise. Your body needs food and drink in order to function properly. I just worry for people who take in so few calories because it is a dangerous game to play with your body. If you don't believe me, then ask your doctors about it, and i they say it's ok, then go ahead but I just don't want to see anyone harming themselves in order to shed weight!

Good luck everyone and please stay healthy!!!

Adding onto to this, apparently I have offended and irritated a lot of people and I apologize for that. I simply get concerned for others and genuinely want the best for anyone trying to lose weight. I have struggled for years with it and know how tough it is, and I myself suffered from anorexia at one point when I hit rock bottom and I know the medical chalenges I faced and it's very difficult to overcome. I would never try to judge someone, it was just something that struck a nerve with me and there is no way for me to know whether someone is on a special doctor ordered diet or if they forgot to log something, but I see it and get concerned for the person ebcause I've been in a tough spot....so before jumping to conclusions and getting defensive, send me a message next time instead of taking it so personal please.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    ?
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    great advice
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know I am not a doctor by any means

Your concern for people is very nice... but I would stop at that statement right above you. Sometimes it's best to let people decide what's good for themselves... unless they are specifically asking your opinion.

Here's wishing you a happy, healthy journey as well :smile:
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I learned that the hardway myself when I went on a diet a few years ago, I did lose weight, but I ended up gaining all of it back PLUS some. It wasn't until I started using this site that I realized 1) I dont eat enough (seriously, I would have like 600 calories for food and the rest would be calories from mt. dew.) & 2) what I do eat, is really really unhealthy.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    great advice

ditto and thank you for spelling "advice" correctly :flowerforyou: you restored a little hope in me... :laugh:
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    well said i agree with you totally what you have said:smile:
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Personally, for myself, I find it hard to eat my calories. I don't have any appetite. I force myself to eat something after working out because I know I should, but I'm not hungry.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes - I posted a topic last week about eating disorders, and it appears either not to have gone up or to have been removed. I have been extremely disturbed by some of what I have seen on here - there are a few people undereating because they do not seem to know better, and there are a lot of younger girls on here who are actively egging each other on in their anorexic behaviors - I know they're welcome to use the site but I feel like they need to know that people are here to get and remain healthy, and if they're actively engaged in their addictions, they should be seeking help in real life and, frankly, I don't think they should be on here. I won't be "friends" with it. Sending you a friend request, though.
  • kimmysue
    kimmysue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! Especially if you are looking at this as a lifestyle change and not just a diet (which is what I am doing). There is no way someone can maintain a super low calorie diet for the long term and stay healthy.

Thanks for posting!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    for example I have seen daily calorie goals set for 1,500/day and people taking in under 900....that is DANGEROUSLY low!!!!

it might be 900 after excerise. not everyone eats back what they burn. some only eat half, some eat all etc. everyone is different.
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    FAB advice!
    As for working in the NHS field I know about this but obviously you cannot tell many people as they simply do not want to hear it..
    Good luck on your journey hunni x
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I know I am not a doctor by any means

Your concern for people is very nice... but I would stop at that statement right above you. Sometimes it's best to let people decide what's good for themselves... unless they are specifically asking your opinion.

Here's wishing you a happy, healthy journey as well :smile:

Unless you know the actual reasons why, I would also support the whole stopping with the statement as well. If Im sick as a dog, you best believe if I can only get 800 calories in me without throwing it up from being ill, then so be it.

My line of work often keeps me from being able to have a lunch break and I work as a chef for a living - demands of the business often dictate whether or not we can grab a meal break.

And, if there are extreme calorie restrictions, there may very well be a gastric-bypass post surgical patient who has to do the whole preliminary dietary adjustments as ordered by their doctors....

or simply put - life gets in the way and you cant get to a computer because of other responsibilities that require their total devotion.

Never ever make an assumption or pass judgement on someone whose diary you look at, has below the 1200 mark. They may even have forgotten to post something....
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Those are the people that are constantly writing in frustrated that they aren't losing weight and they are so hungry. I did this for longer than I care to mention and it took a lot of failures to finally realize that my problem was not eating enough. After making healthy choices I'm fuller, healthier and slowly but surely losing weight. It's just one of those journeys that everyone has to take for themselves.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have to agree w. you. and for the comment that states that starvation mode does not exist.. well it does and it can lead to some serious eating disorders. hair loss, period stopping, weight loss, fatigue, orgains failing are all from complications of starvation mode. I don't know how long it takes for the body to reach that point but what i do know is I never want to experience it.

there are some people who are on certain diets that consist of very low calorie intakes in which a doctor is closely monitoring them, but for others who are only eating very little to try to lose very fast, it's their choice and all we can do is try to support and encourage them. if they don't want the comments of how little they are eating then maybe they should close out their diary. it's nice of you to have concern for others!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    But what about if I want to loose 10lbs before Halloween to wear my lingerie - I mean - super cute bunny outfit? It has ears. That counts as a costume, right?
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth

While "starvation mode" itself may be up for debate in scientific circles, what is not is that it is almost impossible to get an adequate amount of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as macronutrients eating under 1200 calories a day. Malnutrition is not something to play around with.
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    Ive noticed that too but here at mfp I havent seen anyone who is dangerously underweight or anyone who continues to starve.

Most people try to be anorexic for a while but hormones and hunger being what they are it just doesnt set in long enough to do any harm.

Why does it worry you so? A few days at even 600 calories will not harm a human, even full out fasting isnt dangerous or life threatening as long as water is consumed and it doesnt go on for very many days.

Whensomeone has a lot of weight to lose, its not going to harm metabolism either unless they keep at below 900 for several weeks. It also depends on the quality of foods they are consuming. If they eat 3 chocolate bars a day, well, it could kill them I guess.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    for example I have seen daily calorie goals set for 1,500/day and people taking in under 900....that is DANGEROUSLY low!!!!

it might be 900 after exercise. not everyone eats back what they burn. some only eat half, some eat all etc. everyone is different.

True. I burn alot of calories each day and should technically be eating around 2600 calories a day to keep up with my allowed calories after exercise. I'm just not THAT hungry. If I'm not hungry then I'm not going to force feed myself. I generally eat more like 1600-1700 per day which makes my net pretty low. If I get hungry then I eat.
This discussion has been closed.